Suggestion for a simple image optimizer

One thing I could not find on Linux is an open source and simple image compressor/optimized. I am doing web-design and I find myself using websites like https://tinypng.com/ for optimizing images. Is there any good application for Linux that I am not aware of.

On another note, I found one today https://github.com/meowtec/Imagine/releases - but I cannot find it in AUR or Manjaro repos. It’s alright since there is an appimage for it, but since there is no such good photo FOSS image optimized for Linux I thought maybe it is a good idea to include this on in the repos? Tested it and so far it is really great - super easy to use and efficient.

Cheers!

optipng immediately comes to mind.

My usual optimisation run is GIMP->indexed->optipng

There was a brotlipng at one point… though that was removed from the brotli package.

ImageMagick http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php is already included with the Manjaro i3 edition. It is command line, but very fast and very powerful…

1 Like

It seems I have it installed, but I am not that familiar with GIMP and optipng. Does this mean you are optimizing through GIMP basically? If so I was looking for a standalone application with a simple GUI if possible that can convert many images at once. Did you try Imagine?

I don’t need to install an Electron-based application to do something that GIMP already does. :wink:

Seriously, GIMP’s Export As… dialogue already offers as much “optimisation” as you can shake a stick at.

Nice, thanks! I still find it difficult to use applications from command line. I would prefer to be something simple especially for image optimization. You can give Imagine a try if you want. I personally really liked it and does a great job. There is one more in the Manjaro’s repos: Converseen. But it is a bit complicated and I could not set it up to properly optimize images - the size reduction is not that drastic.

Ok, but say I need to optimize 100 images. How do I do that with GIMP in an easy way?

You want to optimize 100 images and you’re not prepared to do a simple command such as:

convert –resize 800x800 .jpg*

???

Try that with the Gimp and you’ll be at it for two hours versus 10 seconds…

2 Likes

Aren’t you now changing the goalposts?

OP was about an image optimisation program, of which you have two good choices: GIMP and ImageMagick.

How can you realistically perform optimisation of an image - which requires visual comparison - as part of a batch?

If you want to apply the exact same quality or compression settings to list of images then that’s not the same thing, but that’s where convert works wonders.

“Learn the CLI”

1 Like

How is that easy when there are different file names and extensions (jpeg,jpg,png)? Did you look at Imagine? It is really interesting in the sense that it is not only easy but it shows you exactly how much it can optimize for each image and you can quickly adjust all that. So, I am wondering if the command line is easier.

Not at all. I am looking to optimize/compress images. Multiple.

OP was about an image optimisation program, of which you have two good choices: GIMP and ImageMagick.

Can GIMP optimize/compress multiple images at once? ImageMagick I’ve heard has no user inetrface, which makes things quite complicated.

How can you realistically perform optimisation of an image - which requires visual comparison - as part of a batch?

It is for webdesign optimization as I mentioned. I’ve been doing this for many years - tinypng for instance is such a tool. It is built for that. Imagine seems to do the same job. When you make a website you want to optimize images quickly for the web, and a drag and drop and click optimize is so needed. That’s what I’m looking for.

* is a wildcard and will match anything.

convert --resize 800x800 *.jpg will resize all jpg files.

convert --resize 800x800 *.{jpg,png} will resize all jpgs and pngs.

convert --resize 800x800 * will attempt to resize everything.

“Learn the CLI”

I’ve also been doing web design for many years, and to get the correct level of optimisation I will use GIMP’s “Export As…” because of the level of control it offers.

Optimising design element images isn’t where the most time is spent.

If you’re “optimising” hundreds of images then you’re not doing website design, you’re doing image processing, and that’s where convert comes in.

I don’t know - I’ve not used it for what you’re trying to do. Why not have a look at it and see for yourself instead of asking us to try a different bit of software?

If this “Imagine” works for you, why not just go ahead and use it?

Or is the whole point of this thread trying to make someone add “Imagine” to the repos?

1 Like

For sure I get that, but my question was how is this easier than what I recommended.

Optimising design element images isn’t where the most time is spent.

If you’re “optimising” hundreds of images then you’re not doing website design, you’re doing image processing, and that’s where convert comes in.

It is if you are dealing with photo galleries and sliders with images. Usually clients send you huge photos that are not optimized. That’s one example. " that’s where convert comes in." - what do you mean by this? Are you referring to a script or something?

Why not have a look at it and see for yourself instead of asking us to try a different bit of software?

Sorry, I think you are a bit too “mean” :smiley: when you are answering my posts on this forum and you may make me not to bother doing that (if it matters, I don’t know). Why do you bother to reply to my post here if your option is to “go and try and don’t bother us”? I tried many Linux image optimizing applications and none does a decent job except the one I found above, and I was wondering since Manjaro lacks this sort of UI application maybe any of you here may either suggest an alternative that’s similar and does a good job, or considers including the above suggested application to Manjaro repositories or AUR.

If this “Imagine” works for you, why not just go ahead and use it?

I do, but again, I thought maybe there is a similar alterative to Manjaro repos or to AUR that I am not aware of. See the title of this post. And you can try to be more friendly :slight_smile: - is not like I post here because I am bored, I only post when I think it is important to post and my posts will help others too. Cheers

Because that’s what you did. Twice:

When you post asking us for a recommendation, it’s not up to us to try the software you suggest.

Quite the opposite, in fact.

It seems to me that every time you post a question on the forum you have an answer in mind already - possibly based on something you’re used to doing in a different OS. Then when the answer isn’t what you expect (e.g. “use a command-line application”) you change your “argument” to try and get someone to agree with what you want.

“Imagine” looks fine if it does what you want. Given the two recommendations so far are not what you want, and that these are the obvious recommendations to make, perhaps you’ve already found the ideal “alternative” software for your particular use-case.

In which case, instead of asking for recommendations, the better way of presenting this thread could have been: “Hey, I found this really cool application which isn’t in the repos or AUR. What do you all think of it? Could someone add it to the AUR?”

3 Likes

You can have a look at what I recommended to see what I was looking for in Manjaro’s repos. It was the easiest way to showcase that.

It seems to me that every time you post a question on the forum you have an answer in mind already - possibly based on something you’re used to doing in a different OS.

That is a big stretch of an assumption :). Take this post, I explained that I am looking for “an open source and simple image compressor/optimized.” “for optimizing images” - you gave me 2 options. One is a command line option that requires a lot of know-how (to know the commands of that program, to change the individual names of images, extensions, and more). Not at all simple. Second application you recommended you said that you don’t know if it can optimize multiple images at once. I opened GIMP and tried to find out how to optimize multiple images and could not find. Also, GIMP is not specifically an image optimization tool, so for new Manjaro users would be great if they would find in the repos or AUR a good image optimizer application that is easy to use and does that job specifically and for multiple images. As of right now, and the past years, I simply could not find a good such application until now when I found that one that you may not want to look at, and it is not in the repos or AUR so I thought considering the lack of such an application (easy to use and efficient) you guys may want to consider it. Isn’t say Etcher electron base? That too is a very easy and efficient little app to write isos on usb flash drives and is in the repos. Including the above one could be as useful. If not, as said in the post, maybe there is a similar one already in the repos or AUR.

Oh, and yes, I had an idea in my mind about what application could do those things. Consider that a help for the community. But that solution is not available through Manjaro’s repos or AUR. So, either include it if possible, or provide a similar alternative :stuck_out_tongue:

Again, you’re re-framing.

This isn’t about new users. It’s about you. Stop trying to change the standpoint for your posts.

Nothing changed. New Manjaro users can benefit from a simple image converter application like the one I suggested in case there is none of that - I searched and tested all search results from pamac (searched for i"mage converter" and similar keywords). You too can try it to see what I am talking about as I provided it as an example. If you think there is a similar alternative already in the repos or AUR I am happy to try it. The suggestions so far are either not converting images in batches or are difficult to use. :wink:

You either are an expert in Gimp to say that or you are not? Because to me, that statement is a bigger

Look into batch image for Gimp, hopefully you will not say that the plethora of tutorials are difficult to follow. Even creating batch scripts are not that difficult for someone that is

You must be a special one … I’ll take off now.

Isn’t GIMP:

"GIMP (/ɡɪmp/ GHIMP; GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a free and open-source raster graphics editor[4] used for image retouching and editing, free-form drawing, converting between different image formats, and more specialized tasks. " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMP

That clearly tells me that it is not “specifically an image optimization tool”. It’s like I am asking for a video converter and you are recommending Kdenlive. Sure, that too can convert videos, but that’s not what I am asking for.

Bravo! Using wiki quotes will convince me … never.

quite informal fallacy there but i’ll pass that too.

Now i wonder, since you find Imagine and there are none like it, according to your research, are you still for arguing sake asking for opinions and prefer semantics instead hands down when comes to a software? Even Krita has the ability to use scripts to export optimized *.jpeg and *.png in batch, but that i would not recommend as it has way to many dependencies especially if you are not on KDE Plasma (that would have been the Kdenlive analogy).

Kim could be probably adopted to other DE’s if you are looking for nice examples of scripting …

Forum kindly sponsored by