Sudo for all my commands for me

Listen I was surprised when I first saw sudo. default login what is default login?

Default login is for you to set up with installation, and log in as root is expressly advised against. Especially for the GUI.

And sudo had a security vulnerability. Note: had. It’s been long patched.

So please get your facts straight before you say such things. And be careful that you’re not misled. Because, I don’t know where you got the info, but either the source wants to mislead you for which ever reason, youy’re way to gulliuble* or you’re trying to cause someone harm here.

* Interesting: “gullible” also sounds like “bubblegum” when you say it sowly.

1 Like

i think you should read a bit about the purpose of sudo and permissions in general. it is meant to protect the system. The idea is that files should only have the bare minimum permissions to do what they need to do. for example, some random file should not have permissions to change the system because those permissions are extraneous to the file’s purpose and they could present a hazard to the system.
let’s say I run a program as the super user (sudo stands for super user do). that program then has the permissions to do whatever it wants with the system. if the user is inexperienced, this could lead to them doing damage to their system.

I’m also somewhat new to gnu/linux, so it was hard to understand the purpose of sudo and permissions at first. here is a short article you can read ( A beginner's guide to Linux permissions | Opensource.com ) im sure you could find youtube videos or something else explaining the topic better.

1 Like

I followed this manual.
Then after this command I’m able to capture packets without sudo.

sudo chmod g+x /usr/bin/dumpcap

I hope I get it right.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.