"sudo" command is saying my password is wrong when it isn't

You but not as root I guess?

Even after su, $USER remains the same.

3 Likes

Ok, now I get it.
faillock --user antojaro
Came

antojaro:
When                Type  Source                                           Valid
2021-07-27 21:31:02 TTY                                                        V
2021-07-27 21:31:02 TTY                                                        V
2021-07-27 21:31:04 TTY                                                        V

Then I type
faillock --user antojaro --reset
And it back to root user, so I exit to login at normal user. I test again sudo pacman -Syu and its works. Thank u.

Its weird.
I’m sorry again, just a little while ago, the error “sudo password is wrong” came again when I typed in the terminal sudo pacman -Syu chromium , and to be able to use it again I had to repeat the same faillock process .

Don’t you have a way to make it permanent, without having to access “su” all the time?

Not if you su -.

You are right, it’s worth to understand the difference, described for example here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Su

1 Like

The reason could be this, first i logged with su only, and not with su - .
But with the booth, the problem still remain. (Or I gonna need reboot the machine???)
(sorry for my language, I’m a portuguese speaker)

Try again and reboot directly afterwards. Is $USER in wheel group?

I’m a newbie honestly, this $USER in wheel group I don’t know what it is.

Just enter

groups

and you know.

Please, start using to search for answers in the web, certain info are really easy to find, especially in Manjaro or Arch wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Users_and_groups

1 Like

groups
sys network power lp wheel autologin antojaro

Ok, thanks, I will do that. (But I search before, and didn´t find a solution, just now)

I miss users. Enter

su -
gpasswd -a antojaro users
exit

Hello again @Wollie, I’m sorry for the late (different times from our countries). Unfortunately, it doens’t solved to. I will download de ISO and reinstall the distro again, (hoping that it solve).
Thank u, for the help.

If you care to search before you ask you would find plenty issues on the subject.

And using the search word combo kde password would give a long list.

One recommendation I am used to make is to use a different password for the root user and your user - I think I will begin to recommend to disable the root user - simply because you will rarely need to use root as the first user created on Manjaro is always belonging to the wheel group.

1 Like

thanks for the tips @linux-aarhus , I will search deep.

I am kinda new to linux, so if u can access a prompt as root, why dont you use the passwd command? i mean thats what you do to set a password the first time when an user is created. Soo giv it a shot ig? Once again i am a noob. The command would be something like

passwd antojaro

I try to change the root user password (with sudo passwd), but that doens’t solved to.

So, I gonna search all about “pacman password” and similars on Forum, if I can’t find a solution, I will reinstall the system, with the same password to user an root next time,

Even after having done a fresh installation of Manjaro-Plasma, the problem with the “sudo” command persists.
And this time at installation, I used the same password for “root” and for normal user.