Suddenly, no authorization for windows partition mount point

Hello everyone.
I have a dual boot setup on my laptop with an original Win 10 install on one partition and Manjaro on the other partition, both on the same SSD drive. Win 10 recently had a larger update and now I do not have authorization to edit files on my windows partition anymore when I’m using Manjaro. How do I fix this?

I have a config file in /etc/systemd/system/ with the following contents:

[Unit]
Description=Mount Windows Partition (/data/winpart)

[Mount]
What=/dev/disk/by-uuid/0878BF0978BEF512
Where=/data/winpart
Type=ntfs
Options=defaults,rw,noatime
#TimeoutSec=seconds

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

So the partition mounts to the same mount point on every startup. This worked perfectly fine until the last windows update.

I tried manually mounting the partition with

sudo mount /dev/disk/by-uuid/0878BF0978BEF512 /data/winpart

That yielded the following message:

“Windows is hibernated, refused to mount. The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0). Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount. Falling back to read-only mount because the NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting.)”

I have disabled Fast Boot and Hibernation on and run chkdsk Windows. None of this has fixed the problem. What do I have to do to get full authorization for the windows partition when using Manjaro?

Did you maybe not power off windows correctly?
Also there is a setting in windows that prevents write access with linux…something like “fast boot” or “smart boot” or something like that - you’d have to turn that off, too.

Edit: just saw your edit - so looks like you already made sure it was off. Then i’m out of ideas ^^

Yes, sorry, I was having some trouble formatting the post. Thank you for your help anyway.

Okay, nevermind everyone - I booted Windows one more time, shut down, booted back into Manjaro and everything works now as it did before. I have no idea what is different this time. If anyone else encounters this problem, I can only advise them to do the steps I described in the original post, then boot back and forth a couple times.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.