Sudden Interface Issues with Manjaro XFCE

xfce
#1

Hey everyone,

I’ve been using Manjaro on my Dell XPS 13, 9360 model for about a year now with no issues. I am currently using Manjaro XFCE edition. More specifics are below, generated from inxi.


CPU: Dual Core Intel Core i7-7560U (-MT MCP-)

speed/min/max: 800/400/3800 MHz Kernel: 4.20.17-1-MANJARO x86_64 Up: 3h 17m

Mem: 5924.8/15763.2 MiB (37.6%) Storage: 238.47 GiB (20.5% used) Procs: 228

Shell: bash 5.0.3 inxi: 3.0.33

Suddenly seem to have several issues that popped up all at once.

  1. Parts of my panel corrupt themselves upon logging out. Shortcuts I’ve created get corrupted, sometimes parts just end up getting removed.
  2. There are issues snapping panels. This depends on application to application. For instance, Slack simply refuses to snap. Other times, I have to use specifically the keyboard shortcuts I use, I can’t just move the window over.
  3. There are issues pressing certain buttons inside my browser (most are fine, but not all. Seems random when the issue occurs).

Things that I have tried so far, based off trying to Google the issue:

  1. Reinstall various xfce4-related packages.
  2. Removal of various local xfce4 settings files, located inside ~/.config/xfce4 attempting to reset things.
  3. Attempting to simply create a new user. Same issues persist.

None of these have yielded any results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2

Hi frank,
Why did you leave out most of the inxi? We are missing important things like your graphics for example.

inxi -Fxxxz

removes your mac and ip and such .. and you can remove more if you like.. but try to leave as much as possible.

And are you using xfce4 or xfce4-gtk3 ?

#3

Apologies! I'm still new here.

System:
  Host: frank-pc Kernel: 4.20.17-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
  v: 8.2.1 Desktop: N/A wm: xfwm4 dm: LightDM 1.28.0 Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Dell product: XPS 13 9360 v: N/A serial: <filter> 
  Chassis: type: 9 serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: Dell model: 0PF86Y v: A00 serial: <filter> UEFI: Dell v: 2.6.2 
  date: 02/26/2018 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 49.0 Wh condition: 55.9/60.0 Wh (93%) volts: 8.2/7.6 
  model: SMP DELL TP1GT61 type: Li-poly serial: <filter> status: Discharging 
  Device-1: hid-34:88:5d:57:3c:7b-battery 
  model: Bluetooth Mouse M336/M337/M535 serial: N/A charge: N/A 
  status: Discharging 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i7-7560U bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Kaby Lake rev: 9 L2 cache: 4096 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 19204 
  Speed: 600 MHz min/max: 400/3800 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 607 2: 610 
  3: 630 4: 631 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel 
  bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:5926 
  Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.4 driver: intel unloaded: modesetting 
  alternate: fbdev,vesa resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 (Kaby Lake GT3e) 
  v: 4.5 Mesa 19.0.3 compat-v: 3.0 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio vendor: Dell 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3 chip ID: 8086:9d71 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.20.17-1-MANJARO 
Network:
  Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter 
  vendor: Bigfoot Networks driver: ath10k_pci v: kernel port: f040 
  bus ID: 3a:00.0 chip ID: 168c:003e 
  IF: wlp58s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros type: USB driver: btusb bus ID: 1-3:2 
  chip ID: 0cf3:e301 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 238.47 GiB used: 49.02 GiB (20.6%) 
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: SanDisk model: A400 NVMe 256GB size: 238.47 GiB 
  speed: 31.6 Gb/s lanes: 4 serial: <filter> rev: A3550012 scheme: GPT 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 216.76 GiB used: 49.02 GiB (22.6%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2 
  ID-2: swap-1 size: 16.94 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap 
  dev: /dev/nvme0n1p3 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:
  Processes: 213 Uptime: 32m Memory: 15.39 GiB used: 3.25 GiB (21.1%) 
  Init: systemd v: 242 Compilers: gcc: 8.3.0 clang: 8.0.0 Shell: bash 
  v: 5.0.3 running in: xfce4-terminal inxi: 3.0.33 
#4

Two things to try initially:

  1. Switch to a maintained kernel
  2. Make sure you're fully up-to-date
1 Like
#5

Hi Jonathon, I switched my kernel to 4.19.36. Also, I ran sudo pacman -Syu to update everything. The issue still persists.