Stupidly basic: how to deal with "Unit file vncserver.service does not exist"?

I remember reading a while back that sometimes you need to create a symlink from one directory to another in order to enable some services. I can’t for the life of me figure out why. Not to open up a huge, smelly can of worms, but I never had to muck with service files or anything like that with SysV Init, unless I was creating a new service.

I’m just trying to start tigervnc server, and I’m not able to do so from systemctl. Do I really need to make some weird symlink? Is there a simple command to tell systemctl to, *cough* do it’s job?

Sorry, stupidly basic question. I couldn’t find a really clear answer for it online, and I got lost in the woods of the Arch wiki’s [systemd] page.

P.S., It looks like the file /usr/lib/systemd/system/vncserver@.service gets created by the tigervnc package, but I’m not clear on why this file isn’t enough, or why the tigervnc package doesn’t do the full job and make the server enable-able (but not enabled by default).

The package tigervnc - creates the service - but you need some additional configuration.

To get the best of the package check these topics

Fair enough, thank you! I guess TigerVNC is more complex a subject than I initially thought.

It is not that complex but you will see :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aren’t there some times that you have to make a symlink manually, though, or did I read something wrong a while back? Thanks :smiley:

There may be situations where you need to do that - but this is very rare and then only if you want to store your own services in another folder.

In fact when you enable a tigervnc service (any service for that matter) for a display systemd creates a symlink in /etc/systemd/system/$TARGET

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.