Stuck on Mobo Splash Screen After Changing Kernels

Hi,

I was using my machine as normal and ran sudo pacman -Syu to update/upgrade everything. This installed the Linux Kernel 5.8.6-1-MANJARO x64.

Whenever I boot my PC up now it defaults to the new kernel and my screen only displays the motherboard splash screen. Luckily, I do have access to my files by using a different TTY to login.

I still have the other Kernel I’ve been using installed (5.7.19-2-MANJARO x64) and tried to boot using that. But with that, I get some errors saying failed to start Load Kernel Modules, Failed to mount /boot/efi etc. And then it places me into emergency mode.

What can I do to fix this? Here’s some additional information from inxi that I posted 2~ weeks ago of my hardware.

Kernel: 5.7.17-2-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.19.4 Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: Micro-Star model: MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC (MS-7B17) v: 2.0 
           UEFI: American Megatrends v: A.90 date: 06/11/2020 
CPU:       8-Core: Intel Core i7-9700K type: MCP speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/4900 MHz 
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070] driver: nvidia v: 450.66 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: nvidia resolution: 1: 1920x1080~60Hz 2: 1600x900~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 450.66

I downgraded to 5.4 and reinstalled 5.7 and all is working again.

Is there an explanation on what happened so I can prevent it from happening again?

And, is there a way to stop automatic kernel installs?

Hello,

Kernel 5.7 is EOL - end of life. It might still work, but is not recommended. Keep the 5.4 and use it. You can still have 5.8 kernel too as soon there will be an update for in in stable with some fixes. Once is updated, make a test. If doesn’t work then continue using 5.4

That is not the root of the issue.

Yo are/were probably using linux-latest package and it got updated to 5.8 from 5.7 (as it is now EOL)

Unfortunately, 5.4 has the same error for me. Stuck on splash screen but can access TTY. I’m stuck on 5.7 until I can figure out what’s causing this.

Ah did not know it was at EOL. Ill try to fix my 5.8 kernel

Forgot I had a timeshift backup made. Reverted to that and installed the 5.4 Kernel. 5.4 now works from there thankfully. Keeping 5.7 as a backup until 5.8 starts working for me.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.