Stuck at black screen

I get a black screen after this update.

Booting up I get the ‘Failed to start Load Kernel Module’ after that it keeps booting for a while and ends up with a black screen.
Ctrl alt f2 does nothing, I.e. No way to get a terminal.

So I booted from usb, did a
sudo mount /dev/sda4 /mnt
sudo manjaro-chroot /mnt

Then at the 4.4 prompt:
Sudo pacman-mirrors -f3
Sudo pacman -Syyu

It does download and update but on reboot I still get stuck at a black screen and Load Kernel Moduels still fails.

I also cannot do
Systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service
As this gets ignored in chroot.

My inix info: Dump your inxi -Fxzc0 here and bookmark it

2008 MacBook has onboard Intel graphics and no nvidia.

Anything I cando to fix this short of reinstalling everything?

Cheers!

[Stable Update] 2018-05-07 - Kernels, Mesa, Glibc, PHP, Nvidia, Plasma5, Firefox

Thanks for the split.
Adding a pic of the last lines booting up before it goes dark.

SVideo error and Backlight timeout maybe part of the problem?

You have an intel GPU there so, to avoid the drm_kms_helper error, add it to the /etc/modprobe.d/mhwd-gpu.conf like this:
blacklist drm_kms_helper
reboot
Probably you will have to do that from TTY or from manjaro-chroot as previously you did the update …

thanks for the tip, unfortunately this did not help.

I went and looked for the .conf file and as it did not exist in the location I created with nano and put the line “blacklist drm_kms_helper” in and then rebooted.

First line on bootup:
[Failed] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
See ‘systemctl status systemd-modules-load.services’ for details.

[ 22.023426] [drm:drm_atomic_helper_commit_cleanup_done [drm_kms_helper]] ERROR [CRTC:33:pipe A] flip_done timed out

[ OK ] Started WPA supplicant.

… darkness …

Come to think of it even if I would reinstall, I would still face this issue with the current release?

You may have problem with the kernel. If you have another kernel installed, try that in Grub menu, or a fallback to verify.
If you can’t start TTY after a failed boot, reboot and at Grub menu, press E to edit and add 3 at the end of the linux= line to get straight to TTY.
If even this fails to give you TTY, then chroot with a LiveISO and mhwd-chroot to downgrade your kernel.

I tried the ‚3‘ but didn’t work, i.e. it went dark after that last line, no terminal possible.

I installed 4.16 and 4.17 kernel via chroot but still the same issue. I will try older kernel… before 4.4

Did you downgrade your existing kernel? Try that, since it was working before.

I tried 41 no luck… but! I made a new usb key with the latest release and sure enough Failed to start Load Kernel Modules happens there too when booting from USB. Difference is it still succeeeds to boot up there, meaning I can do the systemctl!!

● systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
  Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
  Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2018-06-12 18:33:11 UTC; 14min ago
    Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
          man:modules-load.d(5)
 Process: 598 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 598 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jun 12 18:33:11 manjaro-deepin systemd[1]: Starting Load Kernel Modules...
Jun 12 18:33:11 manjaro-deepin systemd-modules-load[598]: Failed to find module 'vfs_monitor'
Jun 12 18:33:11 manjaro-deepin systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jun 12 18:33:11 manjaro-deepin systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jun 12 18:33:11 manjaro-deepin systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

Getting somewhere… seems down or upgrading kernel won’t help me eh?

tried “sudo pacman -S deepin-anything” without luck…

sh-4.4# sudo pacman -S deepin-anything
warning: deepin-anything-0.0.1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) deepin-anything-0.0.1-1

Total Installed Size:  0.17 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                         [########################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                       [########################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                            [########################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                      [########################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                    [########################################] 100%
:: Running pre-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Remove DKMS modules
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) reinstalling deepin-anything                                     [########################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/2) Install DKMS modules
==> Unable to install module deepin-anything/0.0.1 for kernel 4.1.52-1-MANJARO: Missing kernel headers.
==> Unable to install module deepin-anything/0.0.1 for kernel 4.16.14-2-MANJARO: Missing kernel headers.
==> Unable to install module deepin-anything/0.0.1 for kernel 4.17.0-2-MANJARO: Missing kernel headers.
==> Unable to install module deepin-anything/0.0.1 for kernel 4.14.48-2-MANJARO: Missing kernel headers.
(2/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
sh-4.4# 

Maybe ???

sudo pacman -S linux41-headers
sudo pacman -S linux414-headers
sudo pacman -S linux416-headers
sudo pacman -S linux417-headers

Downgrade the current kernel, I don’t mean “install another kernel”. I.e. if you had linux44, downgrade this package as described in the tutorials, not install linux417, which is another thing.

I tried that already, didn’t help, kernel still fails to load. will try downgrading later today as per petsam’s post, if that fails, i’ll just format and reinstall…^^ after backing up stuff.

downgraded, still the same. i started backing up my data from the home directory and then will just do a reformat/reinstall… this time with 2 partitions so I don’t have to back up any data from the home folder next time. thanks for all the input guys.

After kernel msg: Started TLP System…
normally lightdm should be loaded. Have you searched for lightdm issues?
X11 logs?

i repartitioned the 120gb manjaro partition to 50 for os and rest for /home. reinstalled, still get the kernel load fail messages but it boots up now… 4.14 deepin.

system reinstalled as stated and updated heres the systemctl as Kernel Load error still exists. Not sure what - if anything - to do about it.

● systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2018-06-16 08:14:19 CEST; 1 day 11h ago
     Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
           man:modules-load.d(5)
 Main PID: 329 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jun 16 08:14:16 Wintermute systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jun 16 08:14:16 Wintermute systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jun 16 08:14:16 Wintermute systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
Jun 16 08:14:19 Wintermute systemd[1]: Starting Load Kernel Modules...
Jun 16 08:14:19 Wintermute systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jun 16 08:14:19 Wintermute systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jun 16 08:14:19 Wintermute systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

closed #17

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.