Still not clear on orphan handling

I’m using 20 cinnamon and as I’ve been saying, I am a noob to Manjaro. Mint, yep I have used it for years.

I’m not clear on the handling of orphans in Manjaro. In Mint, Ubuntu, etc. if I wanted to do away with residual files I would do something like sudo aptitude purge ~c.

When I look at the manjaro add/remove orphans page it seems like I could be removing dependencies installed as a dependency for another package. Example cups-pdf is showing as an orphan but if I remove it am I also removing any cups printer support. A qt5 configuration utility is the same.

I have about twenty such files.

I really don’t want to crash this install. It has been years since I had to learn new things and I remember back then that learning new things did at times lead to reinstalling a distro.

I searched the forum and didn’t really see anything that was a clear cut answer.

Removing orphans is pretty safe using Pamac (Add/Remove Software)

In App Prefernces -> Advanced tab -> ensure remove unrequired dependencies is unchecked

Open the app -> in headerbar click Installed -> in sidebar click Orphans -> click remove all

Verify the list - if your list contains unexpected packages - recheck your requirements before continuing…

When the process is complete you may get other packages listed - just continue Remove all until the list is empty.

I am a console guy - but this is by far the easiest way to do what you request - and yes accidents happen - but this particular function - I have never had an issue with it…

2 Likes

I am also curious about the answer to @urdrwho:s question, even though I have never had any problems removing all orphans using the steps you provided. Can you explain the following step though?

What does unexpected packages and recheck your requirements mean here?

This setting is the default, I believe, correct? I can’t remember ever having touched that setting and it was off/unchecked for me…

When I write such instructions I usually add in fail-safes - so when someone follow what I do - they cannot complain - the but you didn’t say that - there is nothing more to it other than the usual advise - when in doubt - always double check your action - and don’t blame others for the typos whether it is your own or the commenter.

It is your system - thus your responsibility - if you mess it by blindly copy pasting - then it’s your fault not the author.

We are all human - errors occur.

That worked and I don’t know why I didn’t see remove all before? It works like the mint / ubuntu synaptics package managers remove residual config files.

There were more than 21 and by the time all was said and done it was more like 40.

I’ll give it a reboot and we shall see. :wink:

Thanks

I’m back and rebooted without a problem. While I am at it I have a question about the kernel panel icon that was first there when the system was installed but now it is gone. I can’t find it in any of the panel applets.

I know how to reset the panel to original default in mint but not manjaro. Or maybe it is only available during the initial install???

It should be there,if not you can search the program ‘Manjaro Settings Manager’,in there is the kernel options.

Ha there it is in the Manjaro Settings Manager. When it was in the panel Tux wasn’t [art of the icon. It won’t allow me to place it in the panel but at least I know where to find it.

Thank ya.