Steam play games will not start

Hi

I’m relatively new to Linux, but i have finally settled on a distro that suits me well. I do however have an issue with it. I can’t get steam games to launch with proton. If i press play then the button will just become green again without the game starting.

[12120]Non-Steam Controller Configs Enabled: 1
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1626824053)
CAPIJobRequestUserStats - Server response failed 2
GameAction [AppID 12120, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to ProcessingInstallScript with ""
pressure-vessel-wrap[6078]: E: Unable to set mode of "./bin" in "/mnt/F0A2-97B2/linux programs/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier/var/tmp-249I80/usr": fchmod: Operationen er ikke tilladt
GameAction [AppID 12120, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to SiteLicenseSeatCheckout with ""
GameAction [AppID 12120, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to CreatingProcess with ""
GameAction [AppID 12120, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to CreatingProcess ""
GameAction [AppID 12120, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp continues with user response "CreatingProcess"
Opted-in Controller Mask for AppId 12120: 0
/bin/sh\0-c\0/home/zeanix/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=12120 -- '/mnt/F0A2-97B2/linux programs/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/home/zeanix/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 6.3'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/home/zeanix/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Grand Theft Auto San Andreas/gta-sa.exe'\0
Game update: AppID 12120 "", ProcID 6147, IP 0.0.0.0:0
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/zeanix/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
Starting app 12120
>>> Adding process 6147 for game ID 12120
GameAction [AppID 12120, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
GameAction [AppID 12120, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/zeanix/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/zeanix/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
pid 6151 != 6148, skipping destruction (fork without exec?)
>>> Adding process 6148 for game ID 12120
>>> Adding process 6149 for game ID 12120
pressure-vessel-wrap[6148]: E: Unable to set mode of "./bin" in "/mnt/F0A2-97B2/linux programs/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier/var/tmp-BK9080/usr": fchmod: Operation not permitted
Game removed: AppID 12120 "", ProcID 6147 
Uploaded AppInterfaceStats to Steam
Exiting app 12120

This is what the terminal returns while trying to run pretty much any game.

I hope some one can somehow see what is going wrong.

What are the permissions here?
ls -l "/mnt/F0A2-97B2/linux programs/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier/var/tmp-BK9080/usr"

totalt 512
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 524288 24 aug 07:17 bin

This is likely to be the problem: the partition has been mounted with root keeping ownership. Presumably, taking ownership of the mount folder should solve the issue.
sudo chown -R zeanix:zeanix /mnt/F0A2-97B2

Im just getting a lot of “operation is not allowed” messages.

Are you using Steam Native or Steam Manjaro?

Try Steam Manjaro so it’s not relying on distro libs

I am using steam-manjaro 1.0.0.71-1

But why does Steam access /mnt/F0A2-97B2/linux programs/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier/var/tmp-BK9080/usr in other partition? Not ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier/var/...?

1 Like

i have no clue

What is output of findmnt -s ?
I guess F0A2-97B2 is the boot partition or I am wrong.

No it’s a media disk, i use it primarily for my emby library

TARGET         SOURCE                                                FSTYPE OPTIONS
/boot/efi      UUID=FB8E-8FCE                                        vfat   umask=0077
/              /dev/mapper/luks-777648eb-1161-4443-8138-cc602a1ad098 ext4   defaults,noatime
/tmp           tmpfs                                                 tmpfs  defaults,noatime,mode=1777
/mnt/F0A2-97B2 /dev/disk/by-uuid/F0A2-97B2                           auto   nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show

Steam accessing two different partitions / and /mnt/F0A2-97B2 is not a good idea.

ill take a look at the files it’s trying to access, and reinstall if necessary.

@zeanix Haven’t you set Steam to use /mnt/F0A2-97B2/linux programs as library folder?

What is the filesystem on that partition?

1 Like

nope games are installing to the same drive that Manjaro is on.

It’s ext4

Then @Zesko is right, Steam shouldn’t look for SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier in /mnt/F0A2-97B2. But for whatever reason, it still tries to.

I have a hard time finding where Steam takes the path for SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier.
I did spot that it appears among the list of installed games in Settings > Downloads > STEAM LIBRARY FOLDERS, which screen allows to move those games between library folders. That might be useful to try and actually put back the runtime on your main partition.
Otherwise, unless we find which file holds the location of the runtime, you may need to completely remove ~/.local/share/Steam – or simply rename it Steam.bak so you still have the content – so that Steam writes clean new configuration.