Steam games not launching; PC performance tanks when trying

Alright … I wonder ( if we may just have a functionally reverse-prime by accident ? )…
What about:

DRI_PRIME=0 glxinfo | grep 'renderer string'
DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo | grep 'renderer string'

I went and updated my BIOS to the newest version.

Output for both was the GPU (OpenGL renderer string: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080/PCIe/SSE2). iGPU is still enabled in BIOS, because disabling it caused issues. There is also a setting there about detecting if the display output is on the dGPU and adjust accordingly, but that was off. So, not sure about that, but that’s not something I’m worried about messing with right now.

Definitely not a thing on earlier AMD Ryzen, I ran Manjaro on integrated 5700G graphics for many months when I first build my current PC because gfx cards were still insanely expensive at the time. When I did eventually get a discrete card there was no problem at all with disabling the igpu.

It makes no sense that disabling the igpu would prevent output from the discrete card, there must be some other BIOS setting that is causing that.

Like that… :thinking:

By the way (not related to the topic): How about searching for Pacnew files :see_no_evil:

I went to check my BIOS/UEFI settings, and here are the relevant options:

[Image embed was prohibited, but it was the UEFI menu showing display priority, with the options being Internal and External, where External is selected]

The display priority is set to External, as the alternative is Internal since I didn’t really want internal graphics. I assume that means integrated vs dedicated, but maybe it means like eGPUs like with thunderbolt connections and such, in which case it’s possible that is where the issue comes from.

[Image embed was prohibited, but it showed the menu at Advanced\AMD CBS\NBIO Common Options\GFX Configuration which has “Auto Detect Discrete Display” set to “Disabled” and the description of that option is “Detect discrete display to disable iGPU”. Beneath that option is 'iGPU Configuration" which is set to “UMA_AUTO” which is default. The other settings in the menu are “UMA Version” and “GPU Host Translation Guide” which are both set to “Auto”.]

For the “detect discrete display” setting, it is set to disabled, which is default, as how I read it was that having the feature enabled would allow the computer to disable the iGPU if it thinks the dGPU is supposed to be used. From how I understand it, leaving it as-is shouldn’t be causing any issues.

Back to the main issue at-hand, I realize I put my logs in the tmp directory, which has been cleared since making the log (because duh it’s temporary), and using “steam 2>&1 | tee /tmp/dumps” no longer creates the log I saw before, which means I probably forgot some setup I need to do in order to generate a log file that can be useful. Apologies to those on this thread for my being rather hapless.

Looking at logs, the following lines are the first to show up in red (there are yellow-colored) lines which don’t appear to be a problem

err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow L"The explorer process failed to start."

That appears in all the games that don’t launch for me. The following line is “Setting breakpad minidump AppID = _____”, but looking it up that doesn’t seem to be an indicator of a problem.
For some games, the same error appears again shortly after, and then the game tries to shutdown. But other games go for a while longer until another red-text/error message. One of the games I am looking at the logs for (Palworld), gets a few error messages sprinkled for a while until eventually giving:

err:vulkan:init_vulkan Failed to load Wine graphics driver supporting Vulkan.
err:vulkan:init_vulkan Failed to load Wine graphics driver supporting Vulkan.

With both of those errors one after the other, and then the game terminates.

Not sure if this will help any, just throwing some darts to see what sticks, but I saw a thread suggesting to run “DISPLAY=:0 winecfg” which for me gave the following output, with the whole computer becoming extremely sluggish like when I launch a game (even ones that work), before eventually winecfg launches and works fine after the delay

007c:fixme:hid:handle_IRP_MN_QUERY_ID Unhandled type 00000005
008c:err:winediag:is_broken_driver Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
00e4:err:winediag:is_broken_driver Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
008c:fixme:xrandr:xrandr10_get_current_mode Non-primary adapters are unsupported.
008c:fixme:xrandr:xrandr10_get_current_mode Non-primary adapters are unsupported.
00e4:fixme:xrandr:xrandr10_get_current_mode Non-primary adapters are unsupported.
00e4:fixme:xrandr:xrandr10_get_current_mode Non-primary adapters are unsupported.
0034:err:winediag:is_broken_driver Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
00dc:err:winediag:is_broken_driver Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
0124:err:winediag:is_broken_driver Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.

Not sure how much of that is actually problematic or just the computer whining about something not being ideal that is inconsequential. If nothing else, maybe someone else having a similar issue stumbles upon this from some specific string searches and get some helpful info :slight_smile:

I tried some things that seem to have worked for the games I tested that didn’t work before. It seems that whatever installing I did for graphics drivers before through mhwd and the normal package manager didn’t quite work. Also worth noting that I still have nvidia-prime installed, but it seems fine? Using lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display' shows both my GPU and my CPU with integrated graphics, but really all I need working is the GPU. So; resolved!

What I did that worked:
1.) pacman -Rns winetricks
2.) pacman -Rns wine
3.) I manually deleted the .wine config folder in my home directory
4.) I also searched in “Add/Remove Packages”
4.) I then followed GitHub - korvahannu/arch-nvidia-drivers-installation-guide: A repository that holds a simple guide on how you can install and configure proprietary NVIDIA drivers for Arch Linux.
Note that some of the steps in that link weren’t exactly the same; for instance I was using the base “nvidia” drivers, and one of the steps at the end mentions changing a hook thing to the example given, but for me it already had the correct driver listed for the hook, so I didn’t change it. Also I didn’t have a /etc/pacman.d/hooks/ directory, so I manually made that before putting the nvidia.hook in it.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.