Steam games freezing after few minutes

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE

wayland

glxinfo | grep -E “renderer|OpenGL vendor|OpenGL renderer”

GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, GLX_MESA_query_renderer, GLX_MESA_swap_control, 
    GLX_MESA_query_renderer, GLX_MESA_swap_control, GLX_OML_swap_method, 
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
OpenGL vendor string: Intel
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa Intel(R) Graphics (ADL GT2)

sudo cat /sys/module/nvidia_drm/parameters/modeset

Y

sorry i missed something. please open
/etc/mkinitcpio.conf
and add i915 to the existing ones
before:

MODULES=(nvidia_modeset nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm)

edit to

MODULES=(i915 nvidia_modeset nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm)

and rerun

sudo mkinitcpio -P
sudo update-grub

Hmmm… is there some reason no one has linked to a wiki article that already covers all of this? :thinking:

Sure would save a lot of time…

1 Like

Which link? I read forum for this problem and didn’t find solution worked for me

can you post the output of all 3 commands and did you add the i915 parameter as i posted ?

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
glxinfo | grep -E  "renderer|OpenGL vendor|OpenGL renderer"

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE

wayland

Y
cat /etc/mkinitcpio.conf | grep MODULES
# MODULES
#     MODULES=(usbhid xhci_hcd)
#MODULES=""
MODULES=(i915 nvidia_modeset nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm)
# 'filesystems' is _required_ unless you specify your fs modules in MODULES
##   This setup specifies all modules in the MODULES setting above.
# MODULES_DECOMPRESS
#MODULES_DECOMPRESS="yes"

and you run

sudo mkinitcpio -P
sudo update-grub

and rebooted ?

I ran these commands again and rebooted to sure. Output the same

okay. it was a test with wayland. if you login with x11 your games should run now (fingers crossed)
remember to test the 3 commands with x11

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
glxinfo | grep -E  "renderer|OpenGL vendor|OpenGL renderer"

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE

x11

OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU/PCIe/SSE2

Y

Good question. I’m sure @Olli knows. :wink:

Searching the forum is indeed a good resource for checking if anyone else has encountered a similar issue. However, the Manjaro and Arch wikis may already have the information one needs. Of course, if one does not quite understand what’s contained there, questions are always welcome.

no there is no detailed description at the manjaro-wiki. could be helpful if it gets added. but this is only valid for nvidia and intel-igpu.

Thank you very much. It works. It’s a pity that there are no solutions where you could use Intel outside of games or use the minimum frequency on Nvidia.

Keep in mind both the Manjaro and Arch wikis are created by volunteers. If there is anything missing from the Manjaro Wiki, create an account and make the change you want to see. You can also create a forum topic in Wiki to propose ideas.

@mamol27

I also have a hybrid laptop with the same Intel processor and an RTX 3060. However, I never use the integrated Intel graphics since I have three external monitors connected: DP (NVIDIA), HDMI (NVIDIA) and Thunderbolt 4 (Intel). I use PRIME Syncronization and Use NVIDIA Graphics only.

As far as switching via Optimus, I’ve never bothered as I use that laptop as a desktop replacement. I have an older Dell Inspiron with an AMD APU for mobile use.

Neither myself nor @cscs recommends optimus-manager as it was always a messy script and is no longer maintained actively by the developer. We have included it in our repos for some time as a previous package maintainer with a hybrid laptop was originally maintaining it. Currently, one of our hardware partners seems to like it so we still maintain it.

However, there are better alternatives like EnvyControl and SuperGfxCtl by ASUS Linux. The are both available in the AUR (Arch User Repository) currently. What’s missing are things like GNOME Shell extensions and whatever those KDE things are called. Perhaps I’ll add them to the repos. If so, I will need user feedback.

By the way, I have an extensive Steam library and rarely have issues playing games via Proton. However, one I can’t play right now is Max Payne 3. That’s something to do with the stupid Rockstar launcher from what I’ve read. Aargh.

I havent needed to rely on any particular solution as I havent had to manage anything nvidia in a while.
So I tentatively support envycontrol mostly by nature of it not being optimus-manager.
It does appear to be more sane, not require hacky workarounds, and perform better.
Those gnome and kde tools you mentioned for envycontrol do exist too:
KDE: optimus-gpu-switcher
Gnome: GPU_profile_selector
In all cases, yes, user feedback would be quite helpful.

1 Like

envycontrol is in fact a very easy,simple but because of its use really great app.
by the way, i have a “problem” that leaves a smile in my face.

my nvidia (1050ti-mobile / hybrid) is running plasma5 under wayland with the nvidia-renderer.
something that shouldn’t work but it does. :upside_down_face: :smile:

i mark this thread as solved. if the to thinks he wants to change the solution, feel free to change it.