We, in the Manjaro ARM team, have been considering changing the defaults to use the Panfrost and Lima drivers by default for a little while now.
But the only real benefit to doing this, comes if we can enable hardware acceleration aswell.
We have tested this on the Pinebook Pro, with the Panfrost driver, which seems to be running quite well with OpenGL ES 2.0 enabled QT5 packages.
But there is a drawback to doing this.
Some applications expect OpenGL libraries, which does not exist when OpenGL ES is enabled.
I would like to provide these openGLES enabled qt5 packages as separate packages to the regular qt5 packages. This should be fairly easy to do.
But we lack a list of applications that fail to launch on either Lima or Panfrost drivers, with the OpenGL ES 2.0 enabled qt5 packages. So if you are testing these packages, please test out some different applications and let us know what applications do not work.
So here's is the applications we know about:
- Krita (missing OpenGL symbols in Qt5Gui)
- VLC (glconv_vaapi_x11 gl error: vaInitialize: unknown libva error)
- qgis (symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libQt53DRender.so.5: undefined symbol: _ZN25QOpenGLFunctions)
- FreeCAD (QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) from /usr/lib/libQt5Core.so.5+0x64)
Other general bugs:
- Plasma Desktop does not start , blank screen with mouse pointer (Lima, might not be OpenGLES related)
- Blender does not start (Panfrost, requires OpenGL 3 for UI) (blender-es2-2.7 is in the repo for waorkaround to this)