Startup trouble

Hi all,
Today, something happened (early in the day, so there goes my easy mood for the day) that shook me.
I started the PC up, grub showed, after the obligatory 4 seconds, grub left the screen and then...nothing.
The Manjaro logo at the right bottom stayed there and the boot froze right there.
I did a cold reset (killed the power and restarted) and got the system running. No journalling, no rearranging, no cleanup. As if the kernel did'nt even start up yet.
What I do get are some errors right before the kernel starts - always had these. From then on, it was clean sailing. Until...the graphical side of the matter: no mouse. At the moment, I have a USB mouse plugged in on the front (the system has PS/2 connections the are connected to the KVM) and that does work.
The original mouse lights up, so it is connected.
The uname gave this:

Linux Avalon 5.2.8-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 9 19:34:20 UTC 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks.
BTW - I have yet to run an update, Lady Time held me on a tight leash, this weekend...
Melissa
Edit - I have no idea if the two are related, but closing the file manager can cause the display to freeze. I'll still hear music (VLC) but otherwise, I have to

sudo systemctl restart display-manager

in the console (Ctrl-F2) and log back in...

Hello there!

This is probably caused by you not updating, try updating

sudo pacman-mirrors -f 5 && sudo pacman -Syyu

possibly. Strange that the mouse DOES work now. I should have updated last weekend...no luck...
Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

? You can't update?

Yes, I can. Time permitting. I live on the PC, every moment it's "inactive" (for example due to updates) I need to get on an other one to continue work...
Dont worry, I had this before, the libinput was to blame. At the moment, I plan the time to do the update. After the backup...
:slight_smile:

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark