Standard boot fails but Fallback mode works

I get this when I boot normal mode.
Fallback mode works.
picture of boot message below

You're using another OS grub to boot Manjaro.
Boot to fallback and do in Manjaro terminal

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Why would fallback or Ubuntu or deepin work?
I am using deep in and really like the grub theme. Not sure why it is different but it is different for sure. After I installed Ubuntu mate I lost the grub theme deepin had and anything I did to grub on deepin did not effect the grub and the Ubuntu grub didn’t effect the deepin loader. I had no idea how to get the deepin theme back but to reinstall deepin.

They must use a different grub with a different method.

In any case I used update-grub to have the prober find the manjaro loader. Then it only worked with fallback

Manjaro can only be booted by Manjaro's grub (without modification in other OS grub). Why that is so
is a good question.

Also, it is best you change your current manjaro grub to another grub called 'vanilla-grub'. If you ask why, I will also accept is another good question.

At this point however, with apologies, I suggest you carry out first these two tasks.

1. Set manjaro grub to be default bootloader.
    Refer my first post.
  2. When booted to manjaro, install 'grub-vanilla'.
    sudo pacman -S grub-vanilla
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    sudo update-grub

I assure you that if you still want to proceed to let another OS be the default grub, I will help you on this and that OS grub will be able to boot Manjaro well.

Meantime, please do some search on this forum on your queries and hope you'll get a better understanding. If this response does not appear satisfactory, I understand.

Welcome to Manjaro.

4 Likes

I myself would not be happy with such a response.
Either I respond or I do not.
So here it is. It is tedious and does not reflect the full picture anyway. But at least I try.
I have stopped trying, actually; before this.

On why manjaro can only be booted by Manjaro's grub
Basically it's the implementation of intel-ucode (and amd-ucode).
We followed Arch's way of separating intel-ucode and uses bootloader (grub, for eg) to call up the intel-ucode initrd file separately from the kernel initrd file. Other OS's incorporate this intel-ucode into the kernel itself and don't need to call up separately. Hence the grubs differ in that we need to call up intel-ucode whereas other OS grub don't need to.
Furthermore os-prober needs to be modified such that OS with separated intel-ucode need to be picked up. OS's with incorporated intel-ucode in their kernels do not modify the os=prober for this purpose. Note Arch while having separated intel-ucode does not modify their os-prober for this purpose.

Oh... fallback boots without modules and intel-ucode. That's why it boots.

On why change to grub-vanilla
The default grub that comes installed is to facilitate situations where if manjaro is the only OS, the grub menu will not appear. A different situation exists for manjaro with windows only. However, to simplify matters and to avoid issues, I recommend that we change to grub-vanilla. And yes, this is not the official manjaro stand. But we are free to choose what suits us.

On how to make other OS grub boot manjaro.

Hope this explains.
Hope it does not offend anyone (one can hope).:man_shrugging:

8 Likes

I appreciate your help and complete answers by the time I looked. I did notice that majaro has an almost instant boot once the acer logo goes away (on fallback) which is very impressive. And since tech-geeks are running majaro, I would imagine speed booting is a priority rather than working with other distros. I understand that too and it is sort of cool too.

I have played with Majaro though. It is a little too technical for me. The community support is incredible and that was why I first tried it. almost NEVER would I have tried majaro otherwise.

Maybe later I will give another try. It is not only the boot loader.. the software installs require to choose all "optional" packages and some are more optional than others and sometimes picking all creates a conflict. This is true even with octapi which I was surprised. Manjara octapi and pacman needs an option where you can let it choose the dependencies.

It is probably this reason why I want to stick with a Deb based linux (deepin). Your time is well appreciated and educational for my questions.

Mahalo ( "appreciation" in Hawaii).
Aloha

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark