[Stable Update i686] 2019-04-26 - Kernels, Chromium, LLVM 8, Network Manager 1.16

update
stable
manjaro32

Hello i686ers!

This is a smallish update which mainly consists of kernel updates and Chromium.

Other points of note are LLVM 8 and Network Manager 1.16. All other packages are fairly standard version bumps so there shouldn't be anything surprising in this set.

Full list of changes

Available here.

Anyone who would like to help out testing the upstream packages, please read the archlinux32 thread for details about how they automate their testing process and how to get involved:

https://bbs.archlinux32.org/viewtopic.php?id=171

(running this in an archlinux32 VM would be fine, there will hopefully be a way of doing this directly from within manjaro32 in the future)

Available kernels

Series Version PAE
linux316 3.16.65 No
linux318 3.18.138 No
linux44 4.4.178 No
linux49 4.9.170 No
linux414 4.14.113 No
linux419 4.19.36 Yes

archlinux32

If you find manjaro32 useful please consider donating to, or helping out with, archlinux32. It's a small team taking on a huge project and any help will no doubt be very much appreciated.

Why aren't the available packages/package versions the same as x86_64?

archlinux32 packages are based on Arch packages but may need editing to build correctly. Builds of less-popular packages are lower priority.

Manjaro-specific packages may lag behind x86_64 because there aren't as many packagers. If you notice an important package is lagging please report it; at the moment it's only me packaging for i686:

I'm only packaging current LTS kernels. Any marked as EOL are dropped. I'll not be building the mainline kernel.

What about security updates?

I cannot guarantee timely security updates on x32-stable. If this is critical for you I recommend you switch to x32-testing or cherry-pick those packages from x32-testing or x32-unstable as they become available.

Something broke. Isn't this meant to be stable?

"Stable" means "infrequently changing", not "everything will work perfectly all the time". If you want it to mean everything works, you need to help test the things you're interested in.

What about installer images?

What about x32-testing and x32-unstable?

These are already available, and I recommend you use x32-testing if you can to make sure testing is done.

x32-unstable should be used by the adventurous who want to try and find any issues before they impact other people. If you have multiple/many machines you really should run one of those on x32-unstable. However: expect breakage.

Any problems?

• No issues, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself. (Please post your solution)
  • Yes I am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

1 Like
[Testing Update i686] 2019-04-17 to 26 - Kernels, LLVM 8, Network Manager 1.16, Chromium

Known issues and solutions

Incompatible libdevmapper 1.02.156 (2019-03-22) and kernel driver (unknown version).

This looks terrible but can usually be ignored. The message shows because of a kernel ABI change making the loaded module different to that on disk. You should still be able to reboot and re-run update-grub if you want to.

I've not seen any issues happen because of this, but in the worst case you can use a chroot to run update-grub on your installed system.

I just realized I was running on vesa driver since the last update. I had no clue vesa could handle a 1440x900 resolution but apparently it does. I noticed this because I wanted to turn my TV on and the HDMI output wasn't recognized. I then saw glxinfo had no output and gave an error message related to LLVM7 being unable to get loaded. I installed llvm7-libs, rebooted and everything is fine now.

Actually, I haven't verified if vesa was the loaded driver, but Xorg.0.log did mention inability to load r600 driver.

EDIT: forget about this post. The acceleration got resolved, but the HDMI problem persists. Maybe the cable went kaput.

1 Like

Hmm... that means something was built against LLVM7.

Do you have any idea what is using llvm7-libs ?

glxinfo apparently is.

EDIT:

[isa@isa-pc ~]$ pacman -Qi mesa-demos
Nome                            : mesa-demos
Versão                          : 8.4.0-1
Descrição                       : Mesa demos and tools incl. glxinfo + glxgears
Arquitectura                    : x86_64
URL                             : http://mesa3d.sourceforge.net
Licenças                        : custom
Grupos                          : Nenhum
Fornece                         : Nenhum
Depende de                      : libgl  glew  freeglut
Dependências opcionais          : Nenhum
Exigido por                     : Nenhum
Opcional Para                   : inxi
Conflitos com                   : Nenhum
Substitui                       : Nenhum
Tamanho instalado               : 6,95 MiB
Empacotador                     : Andreas Radke <andyrtr@archlinux.org>
Data da Compilação              : sex 23 fev 2018 19:02:12 WET
Data da Instalação              : dom 14 abr 2019 01:48:46 WEST
Motivo da instalação            : Explicitamente instalado
Script de Instalação            : Não
Validado por                    : Assinatura

Ah, it's from mesa.

$ pactree mesa-demos
mesa-demos
├─libglvnd provides libgl
│ ├─libxext
│ │ ├─libx11
│ ├─mesa
│ │ ├─libdrm
│ │ │ └─libpciaccess
│ │ │   └─glibc
│ │ ├─wayland
│ │ │ ├─glibc
│ │ │ ├─libffi
│ │ │ │ └─glibc
│ │ ├─llvm-libs
│ │ │ ├─gcc-libs

Question is whether I can just rebuild mesa-demos or whether mesa also needs to be rebuilt. Let's try rebuilding mesa-demos first.

Edit: Ach, no, the whole mesa stack needs to be rebuilt... :weary:

/usr/sbin/ld: warning: libLLVM-7.so, needed by /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/8.3.0/../../../libOSMesa.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)                   
/usr/sbin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/8.3.0/../../../libOSMesa.so: undefined reference to `LLVMIsMultithreaded@LLVM_7'

Edit 2: OK, packages are built and uploaded to x32-testing. Looks like this might needs a short-turnaround snap:

1 Like
closed #7