Can't connect device: Huawei FreeBuds 3i

Hi all, I have a problem pairing Manjaro (XFCE, 5.11 kernel, stable branch) Huawei FreeBuds 3i. System details are below.

The earphones don’t show up in Devices in the applet, but I can see them pop in-and-out of existence in bluetoothctl. Below is an example:

$ bluetoothctl 
Agent registered
[bluetooth]# version
Version 5.56
[bluetooth]# scan on
[NEW] Device xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx HUAWEI FreeBuds 3i
[DEL] Device xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx HUAWEI FreeBuds 3i
[bluetooth]# pair xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Device xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx not available

Somehow the device is detected, but almost immediately lost. Any directions in debugging would be most appreciated. I’m little bit at a loss about what information or logs I should provide.

System information:
Bluetooth:
Device-1: Intel type: USB driver: btusb v: 0.8

This may seem obvious - but you didn’t say whether you thought of it:
new devices need to be in pairing mode
to be discovered and connected to

Indeed! These headphones have tons of problems pairing. I managed to pair them successfully to my Android, but a friends Macbook is also giving problems (managed to get it paired once, but not again).

Hi, actually planning to buy a huawei gt2e since it’s got most of the features I want (distance tracking, music control). But I’m confused if I get a wireless bluetooth earbud will I be able to control say spotify and listen to music with my earbud? Won’t the bluetooth connection to the phone be taken by the watch and I can’t connect my bluetooth earbud anymore? Oh and any gt2e users, can you control deezer music app with this watch? Thanks.