Stable-Update causes Failed to start

Like many others I updated my Manjaro system and ended up with the dreaded Failed to start Load Kernel Modules and Failed to start Light Display Manager.

I did some searching and found several “fixes” that involved chroot and such with Live system. I was not able to resolve the situation using any of them because for whatever reason, even though I could browse the web, pacman said I had no internet, so I started digging a little deeper. Of course I ran a crossed the notation of the update removing older Nvidia drivers. A little testing proved that I could get into a tty with Ctrl + Alt + Fx (I used F3) and log in.

Knowing it is broken Nvidia causing the issue, I tried first to run sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300 to install the latest Nvidia drivers. This failed because of dependency issues caused by other Nvidia related packages.

Long story short, I ended up using pacman -R … to uninstall pretty much anything Nvidia (sorry, I forget the package list). Once those were uninstalled I ran the sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300 again. Like magic it zipped along and installed the latest Nvidia package and those dependencies that matched current kernel.

After a sudo restart all was well. I hope that this experience can help some other user with the same issues get their system back up and running.

1 Like

:+1: Thank you for sharing! :+1:

Please do me a favour and split the above into a question - answer (cut and paste the solution from your Q&A into a reply to your own question and then click the 3 dots below the answer to mark a solution like this below the answer that helped you most:
Solution
so that the next person that has the exact same problem you just had will benefit from your post as well as your question will now be in the “solved” status.