[Stable Update] 2024-03-13 - Plasma 5.27.11, Firefox, Thunderbird, AMDVLK, Qemu

3 posts were split to a new topic: Ssh-agent not working via gnome-keyring

As far as I can see thatā€™s an unofficial PPA, there is no official support. If youā€™d be happy to trust that on Ubuntu/Mint then 340.xx and 390.xx drivers are available with patches for later kernels on the AUR;

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages?K=nvidia-340

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages?K=nvidia-390

1 Like

Is still supported by Manjaro:

And older/newer Kernels

Well, this is a good one.

I havenā€™t updated in about two months because Iā€™ve been moving out of Japan and stuff, so I focused on getting the most out of my time hereā€¦ anyways, Iā€™m running Manjaro GNOME on btrfs due to my (future, not yet realised) NAS running on btrfs. Today I update the package lists and saw that there is about 2.2GBs of packages to install, around 9GB of total Install size. I made some cleanup recently and had 15.6GiBs of free space on disk, so I figured all should fit with some 3GBs overheadā€¦ yeah, famous last words.

I checked all the known issues as posted in the wiki post, and I ran the update with pacman -Syyu pacman-contrib due to that 2-16 update which split them. I replaced bashrc-manjaro with /core/bash, downloaded all the packages, the sufficient space check passed, everything was going well until I started getting write errors while updating papirus-iconsā€¦ This was confusing since df -h and gnome-nautilus both showed 6GB of free space still left on root partition and some sensible values on all others.

Well, I ran paccache -rvk 2 to clear out some 2.1GB more space from old packages. To make sure the filesystems get cleared or maybe SSD trimmed, I rebooted the PC only to find out that all the Linux kernels have been wiped from the boot partition! XD

Iā€™m writing this post from a live-booted Manjaro GNOME from a Ventoy ssd-pendrive I always carry for such occasions. Now I have to remember how it was done the Arch way (I installed Arch once back in 2013), hopefully chrooting into the existing Manjaro install, checking that free space situation, mounting all the partitions and running mkinitcpio should be enogh, but please let me know if you have any better ideas getting out of this predicament.

P.S. this is not the first time Iā€™m getting silly errors due to running out of free disk space (I guess my sence of ā€œenough free spaceā€ has gotten deprecated). Whatā€™s outrageous is that pacman always passes the free disk space check! I think this might be a bugā€¦ one more time this happens and Iā€™m setting up a VM for testing just that, and file a bug report (question to readers: Should I file it here with Manjaro or to upstream (Arch))?

You have to ALWAYS finish the update with kernels. Now just chroot and reinstall them. (and finish the rest of it)

Arch of course. Just make sure you use Arch VM.

1 Like

Well, which are you using? :wink:

Since it seems to be the former, than please create a new Support thread with more details to help us help you.

2 Likes

Update went fine on X11 and stable. Still have the random freezing issue when testing Wayland, but I understand that may not come right for multi-monitor setups with Nvidia proprietary driver until v6.

Hey @MrLavender .
Thank you for the suggestions. I like Manjaro and will use it on this Machine in future, and yes you are right, it is an unsupportet PPA and not trustworthy.

AUR is unsupported from Manjaro because Manjaro does not officially support AUR. The 340.xx Branch is in AUR. (Yes i can try) but i like the nouveau drivers because they are FOSS.

390.xx Branch does not include the old Geforce 210 Hardware. @pheiduck

So ā€¦ Geforce 210 is not longer supported in Manjaro with kernels higher then 6.1.xx because Manjaro has no support for AUR.

Not sure if this is just me or if others are experiencing this but my discord version still has not been updated from 0.0.44-1 to 0.0.45-1. I was wondering what the process is for updating one of the packages and would have thought that when it was updated on arch that it would have also been updated for the Manjaro Official Repositories. If anybody knows of the process and if there is any way to help in that process Iā€™d be interested in learning. Thanks!

https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/discord/

Btrfs is not comparable with other filesystems. You should not go over 80-90% full with btrfs, or you will regret it.

You can find good Information about Btrfs in the wiki

1 Like

0.0.45-1 is on unstable branch. It takes longer for new Arch packages to get to stable branch because they go through unstable and testing first. Thatā€™s the whole point of stable.

https://packages.manjaro.org/?query=discord

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Changes to plasma-powerdevil.service overwritten

It turns out I missed the update a couple days ago. I pushed it to testing & stable a couple of hours ago.

Normally that is the case. However, with Discord the application will not work if it detects thereā€™s an update. Apparently upstream doesnā€™t care. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Manjaro has no official support for AUR, same as Arch, and is suitable only for users who understand they are fully responsible for their actions

This forum does have an AUR section to seek help from other users, but cannot help with all of the 90,000+ AUR packages

You can always manually update it by using the ā€œdowngradeā€ package (unironically).

$ downgrade discord

It will give you a list of versions to chose from (Arch repo, not manjaro), including the lastest version.
Do keep in mind this is a ā€œhackā€ and kind of and ā€œadvanced users onlyā€ thing.
This will NOT update package dependencies and can cause a ā€œpartial upgradeā€ situation where packages stop being compatible with each other and fail to work.
With that warning out of the way, for discord, this usually causes no issues
(and since old versions of discord always fail to open anyway, you dont lose anything really).

1 Like

Linux 6.6 seems that resume from suspend donā€™t work well.

On WorkStation (ThinkStation P720), when resuming, it completely froze in the TTY screen state and could not return to X.
Journal didā€™t have a log about resume.

Mar 14 16:30:58 pelargonium systemd[1]: NetworkManager-dispatcher.service: Deactivated successfully.
Mar 14 16:43:11 pelargonium systemd-logind[1194]: The system will suspend now!
Mar 14 16:43:11 pelargonium NetworkManager[1188]: <info>  [1710402191.0797] manager: sleep: sleep requested (sleeping: no  enabled>
Mar 14 16:43:11 pelargonium NetworkManager[1188]: <info>  [1710402191.0800] manager: NetworkManager state is now ASLEEP
Mar 14 16:43:11 pelargonium ModemManager[1265]: <msg> [sleep-monitor-systemd] system is about to suspend
Mar 14 16:43:11 pelargonium systemd[1]: Reached target Sleep.
Mar 14 16:43:11 pelargonium systemd[1]: Starting System Suspend...
Mar 14 16:43:11 pelargonium systemd-sleep[33431]: Performing sleep operation 'suspend'...
Mar 14 16:43:11 pelargonium kernel: PM: suspend entry (deep)
Mar 14 16:43:11 pelargonium kernel: Filesystems sync: 0.038 seconds

This is end of log.

On Laptop (Dynabook RZ), it freezes with the lock screen. It is possible to move to the console and it took 10 minutes to restart LightDM.
It was also draining the battery in an unusual way.

Mar 14 21:06:55 solaruka-rz systemd[1]: Starting System Suspend...
Mar 14 21:06:55 solaruka-rz wpa_supplicant[1045]: wlo1: CTRL-EVENT-DSCP-POLICY clear_all
Mar 14 21:06:55 solaruka-rz systemd-sleep[513078]: Performing sleep operation 'suspend'...
Mar 14 21:06:55 solaruka-rz kernel: PM: suspend entry (s2idle)
Mar 14 21:06:55 solaruka-rz kernel: Filesystems sync: 0.017 seconds
Mar 15 09:51:03 solaruka-rz kernel: Freezing user space processes
Mar 15 09:51:03 solaruka-rz kernel: Freezing user space processes completed (elapsed 0.015 seconds)
Mar 15 09:51:03 solaruka-rz kernel: OOM killer disabled.
Mar 15 09:51:03 solaruka-rz kernel: Freezing remaining freezable tasks
Mar 15 09:51:03 solaruka-rz kernel: Freezing remaining freezable tasks completed (elapsed 0.001 seconds)
Mar 15 09:51:03 solaruka-rz kernel: printk: Suspending console(s) (use no_console_suspend to debug)
Mar 15 09:51:03 solaruka-rz kernel: e1000e: EEE TX LPI TIMER: 00000011
Mar 15 09:51:03 solaruka-rz kernel: ACPI: EC: interrupt blocked
Mar 15 09:51:03 solaruka-rz kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.PC00.LPCB.EC._Q01.CHRG], AE_NOT_FOU>
Mar 15 09:51:03 solaruka-rz kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.PC00.LPCB.EC._Q01 due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (>
Mar 15 09:51:03 solaruka-rz kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.PC00.LPCB.EC._Q04 due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (>
Mar 15 09:51:03 solaruka-rz kernel: ACPI: EC: interrupt unblocked
Mar 15 09:51:03 solaruka-rz kernel: iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: WRT: Invalid buffer destination

These problems were reproduced after rebooting and trying again.

FZF history CTRL-R breaks terminal display.

tilix,wezterm+fzf-0.46.1-1

Conclusion of my environment::

tilix
profile-compatible

Ambiguous-width characters >> narrow

not use wide. :grin:

wezterm

~/.config/wezterm/wezterm.lua

treat_east_asian_ambiguous_width_as_wide=true, 
-- HACK true has a problem with fzf ctrl-r, same with tilix

I ended up downgrading. 0.44. official - extra.

fzf-0.46.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst to fzf-0.44.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

ā€“

From a resident who lives in a multi-byte, wide-character country. Being Japanese is sometimes inconvenient. lol)

1 Like

If an update fails due to lack of space do not reboot. The final stage of update process must complete successfully to update mkinitcpio and GRUB boot options

I would usually use pamac clean to free up some more space. But for a 9GiB update probably better to use maclean - a small script to automate safe cleaning functions to free up maximum possible space for update

This is simpler than using sudo manjaro-chroot -a and cleaning/updating via CLI

1 Like

Then only choice is to use free nouveau

No, itā€™s only one possible choice; he could optionally obtain a newer and supported graphics card. A Radeon RX 560/570/580/590 may still be compatible with his system, for example.

(excuse my pedanticism)

2 Likes