[Stable Update] 2024-02-21 - Kernels, KDE, VirtualBox, Calamares, ROCm, Firefox, Thunderbird

Is there a reason why pacman-contrib is split out from pacman?

Because everyone needs pacdiff for .pacnew file merging.

The question is why they were merged together. Both packages come separately in Arch.

Everyone is free to install whatever they need.

Hmm did i miss something, is there another good solution to find pacnew files?

Anyways free to install sounds great, but everyone is indirectly forced to reinstall it now.

This question is also interesting :wink:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave#Managing_.pac*_files

Also manjaro-pacnew-checker:

1 Like

Can confirm. Right after the update the directory permission are already 755 !

stat -c '%a - %n' /var/log/audit                            
755 - /var/log/audit

Pacman should never change these permissions. Or does it wrongly report during the update? For some weird reason? (The directory is empty anyway.)

From /var/log/pacman.log:

[ALPM] warning: directory permissions differ on /var/log/audit/
filesystem: 700  package: 755
1 Like

With the most recent update, all my interface fonts appear to have broken. I tried switching away from the default Noto sans, but all appear to have various rendering issues with only a handful of letters appearing for each file in my file browser. All the UI icons in “Files” are also missing (min, max, close, filter options)

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

After this update, when I try to take snapshots with ksnip, the app just shuts down.

It does, you have to have to copy gtk.css and gtk-dark.css files of your theme into the following folder : /home/<user>/.config/gtk-4.0/

1 Like

Updated just fine.
However the “Notes” widget icon in the system tray for the XFCE DE, changed to this yellow notepad look a like, before it was sold white.
Style: Matcha dark sea
Icon: Papirus-dark-maia
Not sure how to fix or change it back

Can’t reproduce this on my KDE after the recent update, ksnip works fine. Make a separate support request thread with more input on your issue.

Hi Guys.

After this update I had some issues, so I would like to share the solutions for two problems that some of you might face. Feel free to correct me if you know a better way to solve those issues.

I am running XFCE in a Dell 7472 laptop (details bellow).

My machine:
System:
  Kernel: 6.7.4-2-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64
  Desktop: Xfce v: 4.18.1 Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Inspiron 7472 v: N/A
  Mobo: Dell model: 082HPJ v: A03 UCPU:
  Info: quad core model: Intel Core i7-8550U bits: 64 type: MT MCP
    smt: enabled arch: Coffee Lake rev: A cache: L1: 256 KiB L2: 1024 KiB
    L3: 8 MiB
   Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 620 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel
    arch: Gen-9.5 ports: active: HDMI-A-1,eDP-1 empty: DP-1,HDMI-A-2
    bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:5917 class-ID: 0300
  Device-2: Realtek Integrated Webcam driver: uvcvideo type: USB rev: 2.0
    speed: 480 Mb/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 1-5:4 chip-ID: 0bda:5689 class-ID: 0e02
    serial: 0x0001
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.11 compositor: xfwm4 v: 4.18.0 driver:
    X: loaded: modesetting alternate: fbdev,vesa dri: iris gpu: i915
    display-ID: :0.0 screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 3840x1080 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 1016x285mm (40.00x11.22")
    s-diag: 1055mm (41.54")
  Monitor-1: HDMI-A-1 mapped: HDMI-1 pos: right model: Dell E2211H
    serial: N8F3M22H04RM res: 1920x1080 hz: 60 dpi: 102
    size: 477x268mm (18.78x10.55") diag: 547mm (21.5") modes: max: 1920x1080
    min: 720x400
  Monitor-2: eDP-1 pos: primary,left model: AU Optronics 0x433d
    res: 1920x1080 hz: 60 dpi: 158 size: 309x173mm (12.17x6.81")
    diag: 354mm (13.9") modes: 1920x1080
  API: OpenGL Message: Unable to show GL data. glxinfo is missing.
EFI: Dell
    v: 1.11.0 date: 03/18/2022

1. the file .profile was not being sourced anymore.
The solutions shared here probably helped the majority of people, but in my case I could not include the lines from .profile in a .bash_profile, for instance, because I needed them to be loaded just once per session. Doing as recommended it would cause problems.

The solution: rename ~/.profile to ~/.xprofile, as it only loads once per session.
Source: xprofile - ArchWiki

2. My keyboard became unresponsive after resuming from suspend.
In internet you can find people discussing the same problem for years now, but few people can explain the real causes and the solutions. It is funny that my problem just started after this update. Anyway… to solve it:

The solution: include atkbd.reset in the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line from the grub config file (/etc/default/grub). Note: leave the other options in that line as before. Example: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash atkbd.reset"

Just include the atkbd.reset part. After that run sudo update-grub to tell grub about the new options.
Sources:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/975260/my-keyboard-does-not-work-after-ubuntu-17-10-resumes-from-suspend
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=297332

I have tried other variations (as recommended by some forums) in the grub line like i8042.dumbkbd=1, and i8042.noaux, but they caused different problems, like making the caps lock light to stop working.

I hope it can help others.
Cheers

P.S.: Edit to include a grub config example.
P.P.S: Edit again for better wording.

2 Likes

Or was it changed when I changed @Yochanan 's chmod command to change the polkit folder’s permissions, like its being a polkit rule or something?

I solved the problem by modifying Plymouth with nosplash instead of splash.
It kinda work now.

“/etc/bash.bashrc” affects all users. Root’s .bashrc file is “/root/.bashrc”.

I’m the only person (though not the only “user”) using any of the computers I’ve installed Manjaro on (including at work), so I want all “users” to have the same bash profile. So everything goes in “/etc/bash.bashrc” and the “/home/jacksprat/.bashrc” files are nearly-empty.

Good idea! Thanks! Since it appears that Pacman and/or Pamac sometimes wipe-out “/etc/bash.bashrc”, I’ll do as you suggest; will speed-up recovery if that happens again.

1 Like

Whats the reasoning behind making update-grub a dependency of mhwd? Not everyone uses grub.

Not a huge deal, I can override the pacman hook and grub-install will never run, but it could’ve gotten a bit messy if my boot entries weren’t set to read-only in the firmware.

2 Likes

Before this update, I was on Kernel 6.6, and I still had 6.5 installed. After the update, I was back on 6.5 for some reason. I tried rebooting to change to 6.6 in Grub’s advanced setting, but only 6.5 was there.

Then I deleted the 6.6 kernel from the KDE setting UI. It’s no longer listed as installed there, but if I try to install it again (even after a reboot), I get an error saying it’s already installed.

Any idea how I can safely get back on the 6.6 kernel?

try to do it using the command line.

mhw-kernel -li

mhwd-kernel -r linux66
mhwd-kernel -i linux66

if this does not work you need to do it via pacman.

1 Like

Did you try re-running sudo update-grub before removing 6.6?