[Stable Update] 2023-12-01 - Kernels, NVIDIA, Thunderbird, Deepin, PipeWire 1.0, QEMU

maybe a driver problem with Nvidia 545 series. In the past we had a driver package for each series, but then the community demanded rolling releases for the nvidia package …

2 Likes

Can I downgrade this using downgrade mhwd-nvidia

Hello everybody,

With this update, I encountered only the errors below. One refers to a mirrored host that did not respond apparently because of a traffic limitation and the second that also appeared in the last update refers to the compilation of the kernel image but only to versions 5.10 and 5.15.
The kernels installed on my machine are below. I would like some advice if possible. Should I uninstall the 5.10 and 5.15 kernels?

Currently running: 6.6.3-1-MANJARO (linux66)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
   * linux510
   * linux515
   * linux61
   * linux65
   * linux66

Mirrored host error:

error: failed retrieving file 'linux-firmware-20231110.74158e7a-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from manjaro.kurdy.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'linux61-6.1.64-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from manjaro.kurdy.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'linux66-6.6.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from manjaro.kurdy.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
warning: too many errors from manjaro.kurdy.org, skipping for the remainder of this transaction

Errors were encountered during the build:

==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux510.preset: 'default'
==> Using configuration file: '/etc/mkinitcpio.conf'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.10-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64.img
==> Starting build: '5.10.202-1-MANJARO'
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [kms]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [keymap]
  -> Running build hook: [consolefont]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [resume]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: '/boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64.img'
==> WARNING: errors were encountered during the build. The image may not be complete.
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux510.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.10-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> Starting build: '5.10.202-1-MANJARO'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'ast'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'qla1280'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'qla2xxx'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'qed'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'bfa'
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: '/boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64-fallback.img'
==> WARNING: errors were encountered during the build. The image may not be complete.
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux515.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.15-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64.img
==> Starting build: '5.15.140-1-MANJARO'
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: '/boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64.img'
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux515.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.15-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> Starting build: '5.15.140-1-MANJARO'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'ast'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'qla1280'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'qla2xxx'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'qed'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'bfa'
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: '/boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64-fallback.img'

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this post.

Hi @iCEVooDoo

Try this:

sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 5 && sudo pacman -Syu

… which should find a better mirror for the update. Cheers

1 Like

I am currently encountering an issue where, after the automatic login to KDE Plasma, I am unable to use the mouse or keyboard. However, the system is not entirely frozen, as I can observe the clock changing and notifications coming in.

I have already attempted to address this by disabling auto-login using /etc/sddm.conf. Unfortunately, after making this change, I found myself stuck at the login screen without the ability to use the keyboard and mouse. I also tried using a different kernel (6.1 instead of 6.6). Any guidance or suggestions on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

I rebooted into a black screen after installing 6.6.3-1; had to revert to the previous LTS. I’m assuming it’s Nvidia’s fault, or maybe the kernel installer didn’t handle the driver update correctly?

1 Like

Wine goes from 517Mb to 1360Mb

3 Likes

could anyone please comment if there are any issues with gaming with the Nvidia 545.29.06 driver?
i won’t have a choice but upgrade at some point,but want to enjoy the Weekend.

I’ve seen nothing indicative either way, but then, it’s probably too soon to be certain there won’t be an issue or two. Waiting a few days does no harm in the great scheme of things. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yeah,I’ll probably wait as usual,but was eager to try this new driver and maybe squeeze some extra performance.

What you can try, is to set fbdev=1 for nvidia_drm:

options nvidia_drm modeset=1 fbdev=1

Well, bite the bullet. Live on the edge! :slight_smile:

Seriously, though, it’s usually best to err on the side of caution.

If you want the see the size difference for each package, add the line VerbosePkgLists to /etc/pacman.conf

1 Like

Then sounds like the best approach is to enjoy your weekend gaming and do the upgrade on Monday. While I have no idea if gaming is going to be impacted with this update I can pretty much guarantee that the update isn’t going to make any life altering improvements to your gaming experience. I usually give updates 3-5 days anyway personally so that all the initial kinks get worked out as it hits the masses and everyone seems to think they have to jump on the update 30 seconds after it is announced.

4 Likes

install this version 4.0.1-7 archlinux packages

After updating to ffmpeg 6.1, proxy creation using the nvenc hardware encoder of the shotcut and kdenlive programs is not possible.
If I downgrade to ffmpeg 6.0, it works fine.

1 Like

I just updated and i see a new nvidia error in the logs…

$ journalctl -p 3 -xb

Dez 01 20:57:02 koboldx-z170 kernel: ucsi_ccg 0-0008: failed to get FW build information
Dez 01 20:57:02 koboldx-z170 kernel: 
Dez 01 20:57:02 koboldx-z170 kernel: NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  545.29.06  Thu Nov 16 01:59:08 UTC 2023

Besides my nvidia Journal errors, i still can’t see a bug yet and gaming works with my nvidia 2080Ti.

1 Like

I still can’t run Kernel 6.6 this update (or previous). Same symptoms as always. Everything boots and runs fine (Plasma/Qtile in X11) and the system runs normally for a period of time until suddenly, and in a random time (10 minutes to 3 hours is the range I’ve observed) processes start to hang until eventually the entire system is unusable and only a hard shutdown via the power button will work.

Even issuing a new shutdown command will not work because the shutdown command immediately hangs.

I’ve updated my BIOS to the latest to ensure there aren’t some odd AGESA issues contributing to the problem. I’m running AMD p-state; All governors under p-state exhibit the same behavior. I did test CPUFreq last update with the same results but didn’t bother on this one.

Reverting back to Kernel 6.5 or 6.1 resolves the issue.

Is it possible this issue is caused by the new EEVDF? I’m not seeing a way to fallback to using the CFS in kernel 6.6 and I assume that the code was replaced (ie. CFS is no longer in the kernel)

EDIT (2023/12/02):

Well i found the culprit, so putting it in here in case someone else can use the information.

The issue is an interaction between vmware-workstation 17.x and kernel 6.6. Older vmware 15 modules seem not to build against linux 6.6 and even then the folks on the AUR threads for both versions are strongly recommending lts kernel 6.1

So no fault of Manjaro here, just more system breaking AUR stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had a Bluetooth connection problem after the update.
My Bluetooth mouse randomly disconnected and could not connect after that. I even tried to restart bluetooth.service but still without any luck. After my mouse disconnects and I try to enable or disable Bluetooth from the taskbar icon, the whole Bluetooth settings freeze.
I’m with Manjaro + KDE

uname -a                                                                                                                                                                                                                              ─╯
Linux vanrea 6.6.3-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Tue Nov 28 20:37:45 UTC 2023 x86_64 GNU/Linux

╭─ 

pacman -Q | grep bluez                                                                                                                                                                                                                ─╯
bluez 5.70-1
bluez-libs 5.70-1
bluez-qt5 5.112.0-1

1 Like

After this update, during 2D rendering (window effects, text scrolling, etc.) the smoothness of rendering has greatly decreased, which leads to unpleasant “jitter”. In 3D, either this effect does not appear or is not noticeable. The disappearance of rendering smoothness is very noticeable when smoothly scrolling text in a browser window. In this case, after a few seconds of scrolling, the rendering of scrolling becomes smooth again, but after stopping, the effect appears again. Tell me, what could be the problem and how to fix it?

My system:

Kernel: x86_64 Linux 6.6.3-1-MANJARO
Uptime: 7h 4m
Packages: 1253
Shell: zsh
Resolution: 2560x1440
DE: KDE 5.112.0 / Plasma 5.27.9
WM: KWin
GTK Theme: Breeze [GTK2/3]
Icon Theme: breeze
Disk: 1,1T / 4,9T (23%)
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core @ 8x 4GHz