[Stable Update] 2023-11-13 - Kernels, KDE Gear, LibreOffice, LXQt, Pipewire, Phosh, Firefox, Thunderbird

From the 11-06-update thread:

Continuing the discussion from [Stable Update] 2023-11-06 - Kernels, Gnome 45.1, Plasma 5.27.9, Firefox, Thunderbird, Pipewire:

I have looked and found similar in my journal. Is this worrysome ? Ignorable? Fixable? Normal?

Nov 14 00:09:02 COMPUTERNAME akonadi_control[1734]: Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
Nov 14 00:09:03 COMPUTERNAME akonadiserver[1746]: Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
Nov 14 00:09:03 COMPUTERNAME ksmserver[1272]: kf.service.services: The desktop entry file "/usr/share/applications/qemu.desktop" has Type= "Application" but has no Exec field.

Nov 14 00:09:05 COMPUTERNAME plasmashell[1326]: org.kde.plasma.containmentlayoutmanager: Trying to take space not available BasicAppletContainer_QMLTYPE_90_QML_113(0x563f23406840, parent=0x563f241d5b20, geometry=8157,1187 84x104)
Nov 14 00:09:05 COMPUTERNAME plasmashell[1326]: file:///usr/share/plasma/shells/org.kde.plasma.desktop/contents/views/Panel.qml:47: TypeError: Cannot read property 'location' of null
Nov 14 00:09:05 COMPUTERNAME plasmashell[1326]: file:///usr/share/plasma/shells/org.kde.plasma.desktop/contents/views/Panel.qml:48: TypeError: Cannot read property 'location' of null
Nov 14 00:09:05 COMPUTERNAME plasmashell[1326]: file:///usr/share/plasma/shells/org.kde.plasma.desktop/contents/views/Panel.qml:49: TypeError: Cannot read property 'location' of null
Nov 14 00:09:05 COMPUTERNAME plasmashell[1326]: file:///usr/share/plasma/shells/org.kde.plasma.desktop/contents/views/Panel.qml:46: TypeError: Cannot read property 'location' of null
Nov 14 00:09:05 COMPUTERNAME ksmserver[1272]: kf.service.services: The desktop entry file "/usr/share/applications/qemu.desktop" has Type= "Application" but has no Exec field.

# then later I have this same message 200 times in a row:
Nov 14 19:58:10 COMPUTERNAME kactivitymanagerd[56508]: kf.service.services: The desktop entry file "/usr/share/applications/qemu.desktop" has Type= "Application" but has no Exec field.
Nov 14 19:58:10 COMPUTERNAME kactivitymanagerd[56508]: kf.service.services: The desktop entry file "/usr/share/applications/qemu.desktop" has Type= "Application" but has no Exec field.

Known issue which was just fixed in KDE Frameworks version 5.113. Until that gets to Stable branch nothing to worry about it’s just an annoyance - 430157 – KDE .desktop parser complains about files that have Type= "Application" but no Exec line, although this situation is normal.

3 Likes

What does this message mean?

error: failed retrieving file 'jdk11-openjdk-11.0.21.u9-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.alpix.eu : Recv failure: Connection reset by peer

When I restart the update, I get a message that there’s nothing to do. Is this package updated?

Hey @41a,

this option was dropped about 4 months ago with this commit: tweaks: Drop general tweaks and lid suspend script (782c881e) · Commits · GNOME / GNOME Tweaks · GitLab

Some info that might be useful for you:

Hey CyberOto,
thanks a lot, for your hint. With the correct systemd settings, it is possible to bring back the old behaviour.
Thanks!

Still works here, you might want to check the file menu if it’s indeed still bound to Ctrl+Q. If yes, then you might need to check your DE’s global shortcut config which might have overridden it…

kernel: amdgpu 0000:27:00.0: amdgpu: Secure display: Generic Failure.
kernel: amdgpu 0000:27:00.0: amdgpu: SECUREDISPLAY: query securedisplay TA failed. ret 0x0. 

apparently this has something to do with this DRM crap

• i’m using, and have been for some time, kernel v6.5.11
  • issue is present in v6.1 kernel
  • issue is (so far) not present in v6.6 kernel issue is present in v6.6 kernel

I skipped the previous stable update and after reading this thread, I ran:
sudo pacman -Sy jdk-openjdk
(said Yes to remove packages in conflict)

It kept me away from trouble. As soon as I start thinking that everything went smoothly, the “ran out of space on the root partition” error message showed up, just as someone already reported here. My root partition is 100GB in size and there’s always more than 10GB available which was always enough during the major stable updates. This is the first time it wasn’t enough, but I cleared the cache, re-ran the update to fix the leftovers and I’m good. This issue when running out of space on the root partition should be automatically handled by pamac perhaps.

My issue was more that I wasn’t checking to ensure I was clearing cache space. The question I guess is If only the most recent previous copy of a package was being kept, what was taking up so much disk space.

If you’ve got free space on a disc, it could be worthwhile putting /var/cache/pacman on a separate partition.
This would also have the advantage that if for some reason you have to revert your root filesystem, you’ll still have the package files rather than having to download them again.

2 Likes

Just for the record… :point_down:

:wink:

4 Likes

I could make a spare partition, but not on the same physical SSD, since it’s quite small. I could make some space for this on my secondary HDD that is automatically mounted on boot. Would that work? :thinking:

That would work fine. My own is on a different physical disc.
Alternatively, if the all of the secondary disc is allocated you could create a directory on one of the partitions and symlink it.

1 Like

Or just change CacheDir inside /etc/pacman.conf

2 Likes

That’s a pretty bad advice that will break the system. Instead it should be done like @Jazz said.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware the directory could be changed in /etc/pacman.conf. That’s certainly a better way to do it.
Why would a symlink break things? I’m curious.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/pacman#Package_cache_directory

https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/8h2r0j/warning_to_those_that_have_varcachepacmanpkg_as_a/

This “problem” occurs only with the writer component of Libreoffice. ctrl +w also does not work. The “solution” is to click anywhere in the document so that there is a blinking cursor. After that the shortcuts work. I doubt this has anything to do with this update. Thanks for replying.

1 Like

For the Powerdevil bug mentioned in the announcement, please see Manjaro Linux Forum and 476375 – Powerdevil fails to start with ddcutil-2.0.0, spikes cpu usage to max every few seconds and [SOLVED] KDE plasma power management not working / starting / Applications & Desktop Environments / Arch Linux Forums
In short, I got all worked around with the latest versions, only a logoff/login is required if you want to change Power Save / Balanced / Performance for which the slider will not stick (whilst in the session).