[Stable Update] 2023-11-06 - Kernels, Gnome 45.1, Plasma 5.27.9, Firefox, Thunderbird, Pipewire

Update went right in, minor problem, I’m using psensor to tune my cooling loops and after the update it now reverts to posting the desktop image in place of the graph and data that the app provides!

I have been forced to keep kernel 6.4.16-5 because Dell OptiPlex micros do not shutdown with any higher kernel.
Today i find that my kernel is now “Unsupported” so im about to go back to linux61 LTS. I hope it all works.

I have browsed through this thread, but i don’t know if this problem is fixed now or what? Is it safe for me and others to update the kernel yet?

I think it is a workaround to upgrade the system for now. But not permanent.

I did the same.

I’d rather hear the reason why ZFS was dropped by a Manjaro developer - like @philm for example.

Also very important - please explain what this means:

Some dkms support?
When are you (the Manjaro developers) planning on dropping it completely?
Other people do actually use ZFS and might be interested in the date when their systems will stop working.

It is very unusual to just drop support for features…

10 Likes

This issue was fixed with a nvidia driver update last week ago… i have a 2080Ti and no more flickering… im also wrote this in 4-5 Topics after the patch comes out.

As far i know, 545 was a beta driver (not long ago, i read that message in nvidia forum) i dont think this changed now.

We don’t need a buggy driver in stable branch.

3 Likes

I’d also like to add, that I’m quite sad, that ZFS support will be dropped. I switched completely to ZFS and we even use it at work for our servers. Over the last years it has proven to be quite a lot more reliable than mdraid or hardware raids…

Is there a long term “unsupported” way to keep using ZFS on Manjaro, or do we only have to switch distros to keep using ZFS?

8 Likes

545 left beta a week ago: Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver | 545.29.02 | Linux 64-bit | NVIDIA

I can’t comment as to its stability but it does have lots of much needed fixes in it, and the addition of DEGAMMA_LUT, which will allow Night Light to finally work in GNOME. So hopefully it makes it into Stable as soon as safely possible.

2 Likes

Came to post that with the latest update on gnome, Qt based applications that are autostarted, don’t use dbus before restarting them. It’s as if dbus doesn’t run when these applications (in my case keepassxc and nextcloud-desktop) start.

Restarting them fixes the issue, but I don’t want to deal with this at each reboot.

I wanted to leave a post to say that since updating, several of my settings/configurations for KDE plasma seem to have reverted to their defaults, e.g. my whole taskbar looks like it reset back to default, or at least the workspaces and pinned application icons all have.

1 Like

Same for me :+1:

1 Like

Hey @JPL

Not to be party pooper, but there is refresh rate bug [4365907] with 545.29.02 driver - 545 driver: desktop framerate alternates between 120 and 60 FPS - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums

1 Like

I can’t sign in into the system after the update. The login form is not rendered! Could you please tell me what to do?
Here’s a screenshot. The laptop (system76 gazelle) boots up to this state and then literally nothing happens no matter how long you wait.

1 Like

What precisely do you mean by this; how is it ‘buggy’?
I’ve only seen positive comments.

You can look 2 post above, for example.

I see it’s still in beta; no great concern yet.

I pushed some pre-compiled zfs 2.2.0 modules. Let me know if those work.

3 Likes

Still got a dependency issue with plasma-framework and sddm-maia-theme:

# LANG=C pacman -Syu kpeoplevcard
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace kirigami-addons with extra/kirigami-addons5? [Y/n] y
warning: wine: ignoring package upgrade (7.3-1 => 8.18-1)
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing plasma-framework5 (5.111.0-1) breaks dependency 'plasma-framework' required by sddm-maia-theme

Nvidia released 545.29.02 as stable on 31.10 :wink:

Quick looksie at phoronix:

You might want to re-evaluate your “no great concern yet” statement.

I’ll test the 6.5 and 6.6 modules this evening.

1 Like