[Stable Update] 2023-11-06 - Kernels, Gnome 45.1, Plasma 5.27.9, Firefox, Thunderbird, Pipewire

kde gwenview fails to load since it is linked to (removed) libKF5Kipi.so.32.0.0. The .so was previously provided by kipi-plugins which is an AUR package. kipi-plugins will get uninstalled during the update since is has pkg dependency kio which is now gets changed to kio5. You cannot reinstall kipi-plugins after the update since even if you change the pkg dependency to kio5 you end up dependency hell. kipi-plugins was made defunct some time ago which is why it is in aur. Not clear why the executable is linked to the .so and whether it is a Manjaro, Arch or KDE issue, or possibly something I messed up on.

If you did not remove all gnome extensions, as suggested (it happened to me because I just deactivated them) and you are using X11, you can end with a desktop that crashes on login, probably due to the shell bug on restart.

Just enter in console mode in your user, and remove everything under $HOME/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions (or rename the directory to some other name) and the next login will work.

HTH

2 Likes

The gdm theme is still blue after the update.

set-gdm-theme list says, the only availble theme is default. I already reinstalled manjaro-gdm-branding.

Others said, that this reverted to green after a few reboots, but so far not for me. Any tips or suggestions?

Possibly, it was always meant to do this, but only now works as it should. :man_shrugging:

Gwenview (Version 23.08.2) loads fine for me after the update. I don’t have kipi-plugins installed.

To be frank your posts @zo0M even confuses me as a distro maintainer. You should be more exact on which image you had installed, which worked and which shows issues on your hardware.

With each stable update we normally provide a fresh install media, at least for Gnome, Plasma and XFCE. Community editions might not have that. Also each install media we most likely offer with several kernel options, however the default download ISO is currently based on linux65. Other images with older kernels you might find here: Manjaro 23.0 Uranos released

We also provide a package list of all packages included in a install media.

2023-11-06 marks the 23.1 Vulcan cycle. We have NOT published any stable branch based install media for that series. However development releases on a daily basis are available for all major desktops.

Those are not tested and generated by a CI. Since the updates trickle down, you can check an image from 30. October or earlier to mostly match this update snapshot of packages. Test the image and see if the live session works or not on your end.

In short:

• you can have a kernel regression, hence try a different kernel series. We support 7 in parallel
  • even that we started to ship Gnome 45.1 to stable you can have issues due to extensions or personal settings on your end. Hence test a developer image or test even a different desktop environment but with latest packages to see if Gnome is the culprint
  • as you already figured out: you can decide if you want to upgrade your system or not. Manjaro-Team tries to get the best possible releases out there, but edge cases like yours might not be covered

Hope this helps to narrow down your issues you might have with your hardware and find a possible solution.

3 Likes

The latter. Gwenview is not linked with any version of libKF5Kipi.so because, as it states on AUR page for both libkipi and kipi-plugins

please kindly uninstall kipi-plugins and libkipi, because they are defunct, deprecated, and not used by any application

If your Gwenview is linked with that library then it’s not from the official repositories, it’s from AUR or somewhere else.

1 Like

Sorry, my bad. Rogue duplicate hidden executable in path…old version was running.

I’m sorry, emotion. I don’t know how this helps now, but here is the information you mentioned:
OS version after installation (before upgrade) - Manjaro Linux 23.0.4 Gnome
Kernel used - 6.5.5-1-MANJARO

I couldn’t see the logs, because not only I couldn’t get to the second console, but even booting into the OS wasn’t always possible…

@philm
I hope it helps you.

Thank you for your good work. With this package in place, ZFS also is working fine.

It was working even at the last minute. One problem is that writing is very slow. (zfs 2.2.0)

[2023-11-08T23:24:34+0900] [ALPM] installed linux66-zfs (2.2.0-1.0)
[2023-11-08T23:24:34+0900] [ALPM] installed linux65-zfs (2.2.0-1.0)
[2023-11-08T23:24:34+0900] [ALPM] installed linux61-zfs (2.2.0-1.0)
[2023-11-08T13:08:32+0900] [ALPM] upgraded pacman-mirrors (4.24.0+1+g018442f-1 -> 4.24.1-1)
[2023-11-07T21:22:31+0900] [ALPM] installed zfs-dkms (2.2.0-2)

Had problems:
:: installing baloo5 (5.111.0-1) breaks dependency ‘baloo’ required by elisa
:: installing kpeople5 (5.111.0-1) breaks dependency ‘kpeople’ required by kpeoplevcard
:: installing kcontacts5 (5.111.0-1) breaks dependency ‘kcontacts’ required by kpeoplevcard
:: installing kxmlgui5 (5.111.0-1) breaks dependency ‘kxmlgui’ required by libkipi
:: installing kservice5 (5.111.0-1) breaks dependency ‘kservice’ required by libkipi

The solution:
sudo pacman -R kdeconnect elisa libkipi kpeoplevcard
sudo pacman -S kdeconnect

@ehhen Good that also the linuxYY-zfs packages work similar for you as the ZFS-DKMS package. Regarding speed of writing I can’t do anything. Might be a regression in 2.2 series. Check the issue tracker upstream.

2 Likes

Well, seems one of these updates created some issue for your system (those which got updated).

Here are options you can do:

• reinstall the system with your 23.0.4 ISO and choose btrfs as filesystem, when you do autopartitioning. This will automatically install needed software to do an automatic backup whenever you do an action with pacman
  • if you see an issue you can reboot and choose the working back from bootloader menu

Other things:

• as suggested get a developer image before or from 30th October and test your system in live-session. That would reflect the similar state as you are now. Newer versions would reflect unstable/testing branch updates, which might fix your current regressions
  • if you think it is a kernel regression, try either linux61 or linux66

More or less it is hard to diagnose what issues your system has or why it gets when you update it to this update state.

I know my issue is minute compared to the upheaval about discontinuing ZFS support and the KDE based stuff, but does anyone else experience this?

Flameshot is also behaving the same, which is also Qt based.

Needs more info. Start a new topic for your issue in the GNOME support category and include details like exactly how the applications are being autostarted (from gnome-tweaks?) and any relevant log output (e.g. journalctl -b | grep dbus).

1 Like

Is it possible you make a tutorial how you did a manjaro install with the tools you described ?

I was on linux64 when this update came in. When linx64-nvidia got removed I was very curious and if I hadn’t switched to linux65 before rebooting, I believe I would have seen some boot problems.

A post was split to a new topic: VLC no longer plays any videos with the Codec: AOMedia’s AV1 Video (av01)

I’m on kernel 6.6 and this update seems to have made my laptop’s built-in microphone completely vanish. I can’t find it neither in KDE’s applet thingy nor in pavucontrol. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

I lost audio on newest kernels. The problem went away when I switched back to an LTS kernel.