[Stable Update] 2023-09-18 - Kernels, Mesa, Pipewire, Systemd, LibreOffice, KDE, Thunderbird

I have seen similar issues with my AMD laptop sometimes having a black screen when coming back from sleep/hibernate.

The power profiles appeared recently but after my first tries with them I won’t touch those for a while since they seem quite broken. The behavior is extremely indeterministic. Sometimes they didn’t apply at all, sometimes I wasn’t able to get a higher clock speed and sometimes it wouldn’t come out of the lower one. Sometimes a reboot rectified that behavior, sometimes it didn’t. I did not report any issues before since they are not reproducible at all.

Also the related audio device (which also just started working recently) sometimes is not available after a reboot but it is not fixed by another reboot. Sometimes it works for several days and then it isn’t for another few days. Looks like some kind of race condition on boot.

Both, the code implementing this is probably not written with thread safety in mind. Thus, making reproducibility, let alone fixes, hard. It can, several people have even given scripts to reproduce, but at an inconsistent rate.

1 Like

I’d avoided updating with the 2023-08-11 release (and beyond) as I wasn’t 100% certain I would not be affected the the “black screen” issue and kernel 6.5 is a little too new yet for me to want to install… but today I took the plunge (after inxi reminded me I’m using a Ryzen 5 5600X and 6800XT) and flawless got caught up to this 2023-09-18 release… with only the /etc/shells.pacnew file to deal with.

EDIT:
What are these lines referring too from pacman.log?

[2023-10-01T11:26:07-0500] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] Creating group 'systemd-journal-upload' with GID 958.
[2023-10-01T11:26:07-0500] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] Creating user 'systemd-journal-upload' (systemd Journal Upload) with UID 958 and GID 958.

What’s being uploaded to where? Hmm, I checked systemd-journal-upload.service(8) — Arch manual pages and I cannot find files/folders at /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-journal-upload, so now I’m curious why accounts were created for a service that perhaps wasn’t even installed?

1 Like