[Stable Update] 2023-09-18 - Kernels, Mesa, Pipewire, Systemd, LibreOffice, KDE, Thunderbird

6 posts were split to a new topic: No network after update

After the update my mouse is constantly freezing, doesn’t seem like the system is freezing since I can hit the start menu button on keyboard during a mouse freeze and that works. Not sure where to look to fix, any suggestions are welcome.

EDIT: Turns out it was my KVM Switch acting up.

1 Like

After update plymouth does not start anymore. “Resolved” by removing splash from CMDLINE

systemd[1]: Failed to start Terminate Plymouth Boot Screen.

As I can no longer comment on the older topics I am posting here.

Recently (IIRC at the latest the 2023-08-29 update) I am having delay issues with my Bluetooth headphones. Watching YouTube videos in either Chromium or Firefox or local files in VLC experience the same issue. It’s <1s off and is very noticeable if somebody speaks and thus I am no longer able to watch anything with somebody talking in it. It does not occur when I use the built speaker. Restarting the system/video, seeking in the video does not affect it. Same with turning the phones off/on, removing and re-registering them.

Something that might be related to it that there’s a delay from when the headphone indicate they are connected until the audio starts. That delay got much bigger recently as well so it seems it desyncs during the actual connect.

I am running the 6.5 kernel but also have the same issue using the 6.1 LTS one.

The issue does not happen when using a live system generated from the manjaro-kde-22.1.3-230529-linux61.iso.

:package: Rebuilds for the r8168 modules are incoming that should fix the issues folks were having.

:information_source: If you already removed r8168 and r8169 is working for you, then there’s nothing to do.

3 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Wired Ethernet and Wireless network connections not available after update

:exclamation:
Any ideas with this one?

systemctl status systemd-vconsole-setup.service
systemd-vconsole-setup.service - Virtual Console Setup
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-vconsole-setup.service; static)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2023-09-19 15:25:58 AEST; 31min ago
       Docs: man:systemd-vconsole-setup.service(8)
             man:vconsole.conf(5)
    Process: 2399 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-vconsole-setup (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
   Main PID: 2399 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
        CPU: 16ms

Sep 19 15:25:58 bob-Manjaro systemd[1]: Starting Virtual Console Setup...
Sep 19 15:25:58 bob-Manjaro systemd-vconsole-setup[2401]: loadkeys: Unable to open file: au: No such file or directory
Sep 19 15:25:58 bob-Manjaro systemd-vconsole-setup[2399]: /usr/bin/loadkeys failed with exit status 1.
Sep 19 15:25:58 bob-Manjaro systemd[1]: systemd-vconsole-setup.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Sep 19 15:25:58 bob-Manjaro systemd[1]: systemd-vconsole-setup.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Sep 19 15:25:58 bob-Manjaro systemd[1]: Failed to start Virtual Console Setup.
journalctl -xeu systemd-vconsole-setup.service
Sep 19 16:00:44 bob-Manjaro systemd[1]: systemd-vconsole-setup.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
░░ Subject: Unit process exited
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: https://forum.manjaro.org/c/support
░░ 
░░ An ExecStart= process belonging to unit systemd-vconsole-setup.service has exited.
░░ 
░░ The process' exit code is 'exited' and its exit status is 1.
Sep 19 16:00:44 bob-Manjaro systemd[1]: systemd-vconsole-setup.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
░░ Subject: Unit failed
░░ 
░░ The unit systemd-vconsole-setup.service has entered the 'failed' state with result 'exit-code'.
Sep 19 16:00:44 bob-Manjaro systemd[1]: Failed to start Virtual Console Setup.
░░ Subject: A start job for unit systemd-vconsole-setup.service has failed
░░ 
░░ A start job for unit systemd-vconsole-setup.service has finished with a failure.
░░ 
░░ The job identifier is 125 and the job result is failed.

Same here. gnome-logs are empty.

Following the 9-18-23 update I had no WAN access although LAN was fine. I use PIA vpn service which is connected at boot. I found that if I disconnected from PIA, WAN access returned. I went into the client config and switched from wireguard to openvpn and was able to connect to the vpn with WAN access again. Seems the update broke wireguard?

I should mention using the xfce version.

1 Like

I’m still having the issue that appeared with the previous update. KDE messes up my screen layout (laptop with a secondary screen) on every reboot, resume and second screen plugging/unplugging to my laptop.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Docker is no longer accessible

Hello,

After upgrading to 2023-09-18, I had a problem with Openfortigui, or any software using PPP to connect to Fortinet VPNSSL (probably others VPN but I can not say). The error message is “Peer refused to agree to his IP address”.

This is a known issue :

So the solution is to rollback ppp and networkmanager-pptp :
downgrade 'ppp=2.4.9-3' 'networkmanager-pptp=1.2.12-1'

Regards.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Timeshift crash while deleting snapshots

A post was split to a new topic: Vivaldi browser not able to open magnet links

Hi, I noticed systemd-swap ( AUR (en) - systemd-swap ) became an orphaned AUR package since 2023-09-04 09:58 (UTC)

I always used systemd-swap, but is it obsolete now?

The systemd-swap developer’s GitHub Page Nefelim4ag/systemd-swap: Script for creating hybrid swap space from zram swaps, swap files and swap partitions recommends changing to zram-generator:

:warning: Current code quality and commit frequency is low :warning:

Users should migrate to systemd/zram-generator since zram should be enough in most systems

1 Like

I don’t know if this has anything to do with the update, but I just noticed that items on the desktop are no longer highlighted when I select them. Plasma 5.27.8, KWin. :thinking:

i still experience black screen (after entering login password) in kernel 6.5
in kernel 6.4 / 6.1 LTS, work fine, no black screen

is my hardware too old for new kernels? (laptop with dual GPU : AMD A9-9420 + radeon M530 discrete)

or do i need to do something to make 6.5 work?

@fluffy_bunny This has nothing to do with the stable update. Was it so hard to make a new topic?

@scotty65 Zram is a nice thing but honestly for a typical desktop or laptop: if you use hibernation you still need the swap to be on the hard drive. If you don’t and have plenty of ram so that you think you do not need swap (and consider zram), you can just make a small file on the drive - it will never be used anyway.

sorry about that, i mean, after installing this update, kernel 6.5.3 still gives me black screen (it has occurred since kernel 6.5.0)

ok will create new topic

thanks