[Stable Update] 2023-07-27 - Kernels, Nvidia, Virtualbox, Thunderbird, LibreOffice, Pipewire

Nvidia Flickering issue also still exist with the newest nvidia driver version on Turing and Pascal GPU’s, related to high refresh TFT’s.

1 Like

Will the CPU peaks affect the 6.1.38-1 kernel?

We’ve skipped 6.1.38 in Stable, but yes, that was was where the problem was introduced in Unstable and Testing.

The NVIDIA update solved some issues for me.

The one thing that didn’t work after the update was my xbox controller. It still connected to bluetooth but it no longer rumbled on connect, and it was no longer recognized by any Steam games.

I simply rebuilt xpadneo-dkms, restarted, and its working again.

Yeah, it is just cosmetic but as Linus once said (very loudly and with a lot of swearing)

If a change results in user programs breaking, it’s a bug in the kernel. We never EVER blame the user programs.

1 Like

I have a strange bug with hanging keystokes after a few hours uptime. I think it started with the 10.7.23 or 17.7.23 update.

All applications seem to open the search bar searching for tabs in a loop and meta key is not working anymore. Nothing special to see in journalctl. The only thing that helps is a reboot.

I see a new error in journal after this update:

kernel: ucsi_ccg 0-0008: failed to get FW build information

The LTS Kernel 5.15 shows 1 CPU core at 100% as well.
(I I know already, it is just a cosmetic issue).

It seems that darktable is broken.

   ~  darktable                                                                                                                           IOT ✘ 
PHI node has multiple entries for the same basic block with different incoming values!
  %967 = phi float [ %largephi.extractslice0, %sw.default ], [ %largephi.extractslice055, %sw.bb667 ], [ %largephi.extractslice059, %sw.bb663 ], [ %largephi.extractslice063, %sw.bb659 ], [ %largephi.extractslice067, %sw.bb655 ], [ %largephi.extractslice071, %sw.bb646 ], [ %largephi.extractslice075, %_Z4fmodff.exit16 ], [ %largephi.extractslice079, %_Z4fmodff.exit13 ], [ %largephi.extractslice083, %_Z4fmodff.exit ], [ %largephi.extractslice087, %sw.bb562 ], [ %largephi.extractslice091, %sw.bb555 ], [ %largephi.extractslice095, %sw.bb533 ], [ %largephi.extractslice099, %if.then502 ], [ %largephi.extractslice0103, %if.else517 ], [ %largephi.extractslice0107, %if.then456 ], [ %largephi.extractslice0111, %if.else471 ], [ %largephi.extractslice0115, %if.then393 ], [ %largephi.extractslice0119, %if.else408 ], [ %largephi.extractslice0123, %if.then338 ], [ %largephi.extractslice0127, %if.else353 ], [ %largephi.extractslice0131, %if.then283 ], [ %largephi.extractslice0135, %if.else298 ], [ %largephi.extractslice0139, %if.then224 ], [ %largephi.extractslice0143, %if.else241 ], [ %largephi.extractslice0147, %sw.bb193 ], [ %largephi.extractslice0151, %sw.bb180 ], [ %largephi.extractslice0155, %sw.bb168 ], [ %largephi.extractslice0159, %sw.bb158 ], [ %largephi.extractslice0163, %sw.bb147 ], [ %largephi.extractslice0167, %if.then116 ], [ %largephi.extractslice0171, %if.else131 ], [ %largephi.extractslice0175, %sw.bb71 ], [ %largephi.extractslice0179, %sw.bb ], [ %largephi.extractslice0183, %if.end ], [ %largephi.extractslice0187, %if.end ], [ %largephi.extractslice0191, %if.end ], [ %largephi.extractslice0195, %if.end ], [ %largephi.extractslice0199, %if.end ]
label %if.end
  %largephi.extractslice0187 = extractelement <4 x float> %div, i64 0
  %largephi.extractslice0199 = extractelement <4 x float> %div, i64 0
in function blendop_Lab
LLVM ERROR: Broken function found, compilation aborted!
[1]    11325 IOT instruction (core dumped)  darktable

It works if I start it with darktable --disable-opencl, but it worked before (the 4.4.1) with openCL… (It need rocm-opencl-runtime)

If I remove all the rocm-opencl-runtime packages (and dependencies), it works again.

There was no issue with the update except that the new Thunderbird version refused to display some of my mail accounts in the unified mailboxes view. After some unsuccessful attempts to fix this I eventually decided to set up a fresh user profile. Well, the old profile was 12 years old, originallly created on OS X and then migrated to Linux, and also full of clutter of old mail accounts long gone. So I consider this to be an opportunity for a spring cleaning rather than troubleshooting. :wink:

2 Likes

I think your idea is good.
But just in case other users run into the same issue and have less of a reason for cleaning …

Edit…
Now with a one-liner.

2 Likes

Had issues with using HTTPS mirrors (“TLS error decoding” error messages). Temporarily switched to HTTP mirrors (by manually editing /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist). This allowed me to complete the update.

Also had issues with missing or expired keys. Doing:

sudo pacman-key --init
sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux manjaro
sudo pacman-key --refresh-keys

Resolved the issues with the expired / missing keys.

Finally, RTL88x2BU out-of-kernel driver failed to install using the current 6.1 kernel (seems related to https://github.com/morrownr/88x2bu-20210702/issues/165?). So, went back to 5.15 and rebuilt the RTL88x2BU out-of-kernel driver. Strangely, now the rebuilt driver works well on 6.1 kernel, too…

Sorry I don’t get your answer, maybe I want to make sure.
I am running that kernel.
(1) Am I affected of that bug already (I have not updated yet)?
(2) Will I be affected AFTER this update?

Open up a system monitor and see for yourself whether you’ve got one CPU core appearing stuck at 100% — I don’t know what desktop environment you’re using, nor whether you might be using mariadb in another context. :man_shrugging:

The users of KDE Plasma will all be affected — unless they’re still running 5.15 or an earlier kernel — because several components of Plasma rely on mariadb, i.e. kmail, korganizer, and anything else that uses akonadi.

As above. It depends on your desktop environment and/or whether you use mariadb.

1 Like

Or dont have akonadi installed.
(and yeah its a requirement of a number of PIM and other applications)
Or use a different database software.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/KDE#Akonadi

1 Like

First of all, thanks for your answers.
I’m using Manjaro KDE Plasma (Stable). I am up to date, but have not applied the 07-27 update (nor have I rebooted after the last, 07-17, update^^)
mariadb, akonadi are installed; kmail & korganizer not.
Kalendar I am using, kalendar is installed.
I haven’t seen peaks (except when I’m using a seemingly broken SSD, but that has been forever) in Simple Monitor on my desktop, nor elsewhere. Wait, when I open System Monitor (= KSysGuard) maybe… I don’t look at that usually, I use System Monitor (not KSysGuard, very confusing).
And yes, wow. One of the lines goes towards 100% say about every 10seconds [in KSysGuard].
Since I hadn’t noticed yet… there we also got the “cosmeticality” of the bug, or what ever lipstick you prefer. :slight_smile:
Thanks for clarifying then :sunny:

1 Like

Installing GitHub - cilynx/rtl88x2bu: rtl88x2bu driver updated for current kernels. which uses a newer (?) version of Realtek’s source (5.6.1.6) solved it on kernel 6.1 (on Arch).

Usually updates go smoothly for me (no serious issues in over 4 years).
This one is causing

Initramfs unpacking failed: invalid magic at start of compressed

on boot though.
The fallback initramfs works, but the regular one doesn’t. I’ve tried most available compression methods and no compression–it makes no difference.
I was suspecting the autodetect hook, but disabling that doesn’t fix the problem either and only serves to also break the fallback image with the following error:

Initramfs unpacking failed: ZSTD-compressed data is corrupt.
Segmentation fault
Segmentation fault
Segmentation fault
Segmentation fault

After re-enabling autodetect and rebuilding the image, fallback boots again.
Any ideas? For reference, I’m on Zen 2 so could this possibly be in any way related to the Zenbleed mitigation? Or did something change and my config is just flawed?

Edit: This is my mkinictpio.conf

MODULES=()
BINARIES=(setfont)
FILES=()
COMPRESSION="zstd"
HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf keyboard keymap block encrypt openswap lvm2 resume filesystems)

(Yes I know, I don’t technically need the setfont binary anymore…)

Edit 2:
openswap is taken from here.

Interestingly, htop reports load spread normally across the cores, while the KDE System Load Viewer shows 1 core at 100%. So it seems as if the problem may actually be either the viewer or perhaps a library it uses.

It’s certainly MariaDB triggering the problem though, stopping it cleans up the graphs.

2 Likes

Ok it’s different than before the update. One CPU is stuck at 100% in Simple Monitor now, and stays there in KSysGuard also. CPU consumption also slightly higher than before the update. Makes me think of reverting it.