[Stable Update] 2023-05-07 - Kernels, KDE Gear 23.04.0, KDE Frameworks 5.105.0, Qt5, Firefox, Thunderbird

A post was split to a new topic: All of my screen recording programs don’twork anymore

Hi, After this update crc start fails with message ‘internal error: virtiofsd died unexpectedly’. systemctl status libvirtd.service shows as no longer active. Linux419. Reverted back to snapshot and its fine.

Not the same.
pamac uses ‘regular phrases’ like install.
pamac also has some bugs about grabbing packages from the AUR at the moment … and some other quirks. AFAIK theres not any reason to recommend pamac over pacman besides that ‘easiness’.
(in fact myself and some others much prefer, and choose, to use pacman exclusively)
Someone once said ‘pamac does extra things’ … I still dont have any evidence for what they were referring to. Most automation that pamac does (like automatically changing mirrors) is not required, many people deactivate, and are often a source of breakage.
All of that is not to tell folks what they should use … just that I dont see any reason to avoid pacman if you are comfortable with it.

3 Likes

It APPEARS that the default kernel gets changed automatically to 6.2? For whatever reason, my system won’t run the 6.2 kernel. Luckily, it runs 6.1 okay.

I find that unlikely considering that is not the normal functioning structure, though avilable at one time, as well as petitions to implement it, ie: Proposal to streamline/simplify kernel updates and management for users

This update broke tpm2 unlocking of luks disks on sdboot, again. This also broke a couple of updates ago, but a revert to cryptsetup, pushed in an update, fixed it.

It results in: “systemd-cryptsetup[441]: TPM2 support is not installed.” on boot.

The breaking change seems to be an incompatibility between systemd-252 and cryptsetup-2.6.1-3.2. See:

1 Like

No, as @cscs said, they’re not the same.

As he/she/it also said, someone once said, which I believe is me, "that it does more things, which I believe was me. That is why I have always and will always recommended pamac. It was even recommended to use pamac in many of the update announcements, by no one other than the great @philm himself. And regardless whether it’s considered good practise or not, it’s the way things is.

You can find more information about pamac if you RTFM:

man pamac

And that’s why I recommend it, especially to newcomers - it’s less daunting.

Never experienced anything of the sort.

I have. When using pacman a lot more human intervention was necessary for some things. No, I don’t remember which things.

Which most people aren’t. And that’s why I have the disclaimer:

I recommend pamac instead of pacman, especially for newcomers as pamac was developed by Manajaro (developers) for Manjaro and just takes care of more thing than pacman.

And since Manjaro attracts a lot of newcomers, people that have no experience with Linux or the CLI, it’s likely to stay that way.

And as I have it, most people only end up on the Forum when something breaks and they need help. Heck, that was why I came here originally. So most people are at least newcomers to Manjaro, most to Linux. So I’d say they’re newcomers.

These 2 are from today alone…

pacman has none of these issues, or any other one I (or you) can point to … aside from ‘confusing syntax’.
Once again … folks should use what they want. I just dont understand fear-mongering around pacman.

2 Likes

I don’t have any specific posts, quotes or anything like that. Maybe I’m just more careful since I’ve used Ubuntu in the past, so I know it’s not Windows. And I prefer the CLI for stuff like this, so I might just be more careful, I don’t know. :man_shrugging:

Indeed. But that won’t stop me from making a recommendation. And I’ve had this conversation before, that’s why I put that disclaimer along with my recommendation.

You’ll notice I don’t answer to support requests regarding anything to do with sound, since I can’t use sound, so don’t have experience with it. I don’t wish to make people scared about pacman, or Linux, I just make my recommendations based on personal experience and conviction.

And I gave my reasons already.

1 Like

I’m confused now.

Does pacman also check the AUR for updates of packages that i installed from it ? Or does only Pacmac do that?

pamac does both. It also has both a cli commands and a GUI.
pacman is for the repos and local packages and does not have a GUI… to use the AUR along with pacman you can do so by hand or add an aur helper like yay or paru.

Ok, so i should start using pacmac from CLI then instead of pacman. I only have 2 apps from the AUR, but keeping those up to date is important, so i should at least know the CLI commands for pacmac.

Is there an equivalent of

sudo pacman-mirrors -f && sudo pacman -Syyu

For pacmac?

I’m using the Manjaro GUI app for updates in general and never had problems. Just wanna know the command in case sth breaks or i need to fix stuff via terminal.

pamac

Yes.
Taking into consideration pacmans design to not bundle AUR updates or handle them directly, the translation is:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f && pamac upgrade --force-refresh --no-aur

(the pacman-mirrors command doesnt change because its its own script, written when pacman was still the default, and given its proper status as defacto end-all package manager [and because shiny-mirrors didnt go anywhere])

Maybe this is a good place to mention that flipside of the ‘normal’ syntax … its definitely longer. :wink:

The problem seems to be caused by an incompatible version of the Qt libraries:

$ /usr/lib/kscreenlocker_greet --testing
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/local.conf", line 1: not well-formed (invalid token)
kf.kirigami: Failed to find a Kirigami platform plugin
Cannot mix incompatible Qt library (5.15.8) with this library (5.15.9)
fish: Job 1, '/usr/lib/kscreenlocker_greet --…' terminated by signal SIGABRT (Abort)

And if i want to update everything including the stuff from AUR, i just remove the --no-aur ?

Also pamac update is shorter then pamac upgrade and does the same :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah true.
But whether 28 or 29 digits … still more than 17.
And yes, of course drop the no aur and you can add a -a flag to have it combined as usual.
Or keep it split like the pacmyn do and follow the above with

pamac update -a

That way its forced to follow the normal procedure of update repo packages first, then update aur.
(which currently is one of the quirks not working out well on some systems)

1 Like

That is very good to know. Thanks for taking the time to explain that!

So the “correct” way would be :

sudo pacman-mirrors -f

Followed by

pamac update -a

Without the --force-refresh?

the force-refresh is the same as the 2 y’s in the pacman command.
It was normally required after switching mirrors.
I have found in recent times pacman usually doesnt require it (Syu works fine and will update changes) … but I would not know about pamac in the case of this specific function … so going by the old rules you should always include ‘force-refresh’ after touching mirrors.

So to update both repo and aur packages at the same time and be sure about the mirrors;

sudo pacman-mirrors -f && pamac update --force-refresh -a

( I guess the order matters for some reason so force-refresh goes before the -a :person_shrugging: )

PS sorry mods … it should probably be split at this point but I cant do it :wink:

So

sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack

Followed by

pamac update --force-refresh --aur

Got it.

And yeah sorry mods … i derailed this topic a bit, but i was very curious. Sorry.

1 Like

xscreensaver doesn’t work. I uninstalled it, intending to reinstall, but the reinstall wanted a whole list of gnome-related dependencies, so I cancelled. I am running KDE Plasma. Also, I am now running the 6.1 kernel, where before I was running 5.15. I did not make that change.