[Stable Update] 2023-04-11 - Kernels, Plasma 5.27.4, Phosh, Pipewire 0.3.68, KDE-git

My Acer Swift1 laptop becoming unresponsive after the display manager sets the screen blank after timeout period is still occuring.

It occurs only with Kernel 6.1.23 and NOT with 5.15 or 5.10.

The screen goes blank, sometimes flickers first before going blank. Once any key is pressed to restore active display, results in a full screen of white with streaks & lines, sometimes flickering, followed by blank again.

I have to press the power button to shutdown and reboot to get a usable session.

I tried downgrading these packages, to no affect:
mesa-vdpau lib32-mesa-vdpau mesa lib32-mesa libva-mesa-driver lib32-libva-mesa-driver.

I will keep using Kernel 5.15 until a new 6.1 update release appears.

Hoping this can be investigated and fixed.

TQ.

My Acer Laptop inxi details:

System:
Kernel: 6.1.23-1-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 12.2.1
Desktop: Xfce v: 4.18.1 tk: Gtk v: 3.24.36 info: xfce4-panel wm: xfwm
v: 4.18.0 vt: 7 dm: LightDM v: 1.32.0 Distro: Manjaro Linux
Type: Laptop System: Acer product: Swift SF114-32 v: V1.03
Mobo: GLK model: Sapporo_GL v: V1.03 serial:
CPU:
Info: quad core model: Intel Pentium Silver N5000 bits: 64 type: MCP
smt: arch: Goldmont Plus rev: 1 cache: L1: 224 KiB L2: 4 MiB
Flags: ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel GeminiLake [UHD Graphics 605] vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI
driver: i915 v: kernel arch: Gen-9 ports: active: eDP-1 empty: HDMI-A-1

1 Like

This information, combined with the fact that @Nebel highlighted the GUI still works and shows what AUR packages have an update, resulted that

$ pamac checkupdates -a
Your system is up to date.

Lets see if it remains once an update is available :slight_smile:

One note for anyone who has Perl scripts which rely on the forks module for threading (as opposed to the built-in fork() function). You’ll need to rebuild perl-forks, otherwise your scripts won’t work.

Restarting the computer or reinstalling pamac did not help. What helped me was: In the “third party” tab of Preferences section of pamac-gtk (add/remove software), I enabled the options “enable AUR support” and “check for updates.” Then I checked for updates by clicking on “updates” in the main window of pamac-gtk. After updating my AUR packages (I had one) I ran: pamac checkupdates -a. No “segmentation fault (core dumped)” appears anymore.
This solution implies that my problem was not really related to this update.

After this update, I get a black screen after logging in to kde when an external monitor is connected by HDMI. Both the laptop screen and external screen are black except for the mouse cursor.

If I unplug the external monitor, I can get to a kde desktop on my laptop screen. As a workaround, if I reconnect the HDMI cable and run xrandr -q, it detects the display and I can control it again as expected.

A post was split to a new topic: Unwanted entries in my boot menu

Just in case you are using a Nvidia card with the proprietary drivers:
I experienced a similar issue with a friends computer who still had an unsupported kernel installed:
After running the update, the system prompted to restart but failed to boot to the GUI.

Obviously the update had not succeed entirely, so I had to coach my friend by phone to switch to TTY2 and
mhwd-kernel install linux62
and afterwards
pamac install linux62-nvidia-470xx mhwd-nvidia-470xx
followed by
mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300

It is not the first time I encounter such an issue with the proprietary nvidia drivers, but thanks to the forum and the wiki I have always managed to get the system up and running again.

In this case, the problem seems to originate from the fact that my friend (who has a nearly identical system than myself) had not removed the unsupported kernel until now, whereas I had moved to kernel 6.2 immediately and I always get rid of older kernels.
(I only keep the latest LTS kernel as falllback)

2 Likes

Any idea, when this issue might be solved without the workaround? Currently I have postponed [Stable Update] 2023-04-11, as I’m facing another issue with my mouse anyway …

I have an issue with PipeWire (Plasma on Wayland). Every time I close a laptop lid and open it, it forgets about a sound card in my docking station. It just doesn’t show it in the Audio configuration. I have to log out and log in again to be able to play sound via the docking station. I didn’t have such an issue with the update from 2023-04-06.

Update: I see PipeWire 0.3.69 is out which “is a quick bugfix release”. Probably it could fix an issue. Could you please update it?

After last update Firefox (112.0) has become very laggy. Scrolling couses eye bleeding. Has anyone else experienced this?

I faced a minor but annoying issue after the update. I had a few plasma widgets on my desktop and they all disappeared. This has happened on two of my Manjaro stable computers. This has probably something to do with the new way that plasma handles multi-monitor, but I don’t know of any way to resolve it, or if there’s a way to get my widget configuration back.

I actually spent quite a bit of time customizing multiple system monitor widgets, so I’m quite annoyed.

Does anybody also have the problem that Chromium won’t launch correctly anymore when using the native Wayland mode?
When I start it like this:

chromium --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland             ✔  1h 3m 42s  
[15374:15374:0414/233021.438687:ERROR:chrome_browser_cloud_management_controller.cc(162)] Cloud management controller initialization aborted as CBCM is not enabled.

Nothing too special appears on the console (the error can be ignored), but the window is invisible for me:
grafik

I can’t maximize or move it to make it usable again.
I am on KDE.

Edit: I have the same problem if i start Chromium with --ozone-platform-hint=auto

I’ve had similar problem before (KDE, X11) with Firefox, I’ve had to right-click on the statusbar icon and Restore / Maximize to make it redraw properly. Not sure if this is related.

With package libpamac 11.5.2-2 no longer get the segfault, thanks team!

Issue 1332

NetworkManager slow down boot progress:
Wired Connection

Update:
On a VM it’s not reproducible
I guess it is systemd related.

$ sudo systemd-analyze blame
3.066s NetworkManager-wait-online.service

Update 2:

I disabled the service due its not enabled on newer Installs.

I just ran the update and there is no issue with the mouse. Thank you to whomever solved this …

Operating System: Manjaro Linux 
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.104.0
Qt Version: 5.15.8
Kernel Version: 5.15.106-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 16 × AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 4750U with Radeon Graphics
Memory: 30.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon Graphics
Manufacturer: LENOVO
Product Name: 20UH001QGE
System Version: ThinkPad T14s Gen 1

Welcome to Manjaro forum

Restarting PipeWire should get it working again without need to log out

systemctl --user restart pipewire

Latest version of PipeWire 0.3.69 released 2023-04-13 is available in Manjaro unstable branch
packages.manjaro.org/pipewire

wiki.manjaro.org/Switching_Branches

Unfortunately, this doesn’t help in my case.
I tried everything from maximizing, to moving the window or changing the size, but it stays completely invisible.

I also think that this is a separate Wayland-specific problem, because when I start Chromium normally without the Wayland flags, the problem resolves and the window is visible again.

No, it is an AMD RX590 card, which worked flawlessly (until this update) in last ~3 years with Linux 5.15.

dual monitor use does not work. the second monitor is detected by system-settings and xrandr but keeps dark even if it tells that it is connected and active.
this is caused by wayland. switching to x11 solves the problem. used ui is plasma.