[Stable Update] 2023-02-03 - Kernels, Phosh, Firefox, Thunderbird, Systemd, Mate, Budgie, Kodi

I have problems with the keyring and keys. I hope there am on the way, to resolve it.

One good news, my non-steam games works again with wine 8.0. Thanks

That can be a 2 edged sword. To quote the man page:

experimental features are considered unstable

I ran into the issue with Firefox trying to start but being invisible again (ps aux|grep firefox showed that /usr/lib/firefox/firefox was running). I resolved it by changing the relevant Exec fields in my customized .desktop file from /usr/lib/firefox/firefox to /usr/bin/firefox, and it opens with no issues.

Downgrading libva to 2.16.0-1 from 2.17.0-1 helped me when it broke with the last update.

1 Like

Yes, thank you! Based on your hint, I found the following information here: VLC self-closing

This bug belongs in the bug list and should be included in the “Known Issues”.

1 Like

The same here. Noto fonts became huge in all applications.

libvncserver 0.9.14 update causes serious lag
Seems like it’s not just me:

I downgraded to 0.9.13 for now.

[edit]
got rid of the problem by using x11vnc-1:0.9.16-7 and libvncserver 0.9.14-2

Update:
fixed in x11vnc-1:0.9.16-7 (currently in unstable)

Literally the definition of updating.
Also those changes are explicitly written, whether you update through CLI or GUI.

I don’t know many people besides you complaining about this.
Also, other core packages can misbehave after an update as long as you don’t reboot, like systemd or dbus, and AFAIK no distribution keep multiple versions of those.
So, you can only blame yourself, since:

:yawning_face:

2 Likes

At the login attempt after reboot a message popped up “… /var/lib/sddm/.config/sddm-greeterrc is not writable” and the login was aborted. I found that my home directory link disappeared, I had home -> /mnt/sdb1/home. After recreating the link, I was able to log in. I also noticed two orphan(?) files in the root directory: desktopfs-pkgs.txt and rootfs-pkgs.txt. They were dated Aug 16, which is the same as the date of /var/lib/sddm/.config. Interestingly, the directory does not contain the file sddm-greeterrc which supposedly prevented me from logging in.

One thing the update did not solve are periodic crashes reported in output from dmesg:

[Sat Feb  4 19:12:42 2023] firefox[1851]: segfault at d8 ip 00007f682b1358b4 sp 00007ffcfa50efb8 error 4 in libX11.so.6.4.0[7f682b126000+8b000]
[Sat Feb  4 19:12:42 2023] Code: 84 00 00 00 00 00 f3 0f 1e fa 8b 47 1c c3 0f 1f 84 00 00 00 00 00 f3 0f 1e fa 8b 47 74 c3 0f 1f 84 00 00 00 00 00 f3 0f 1e fa <48> 8b 87 d8 00 00 00 c3 0f 1f 40 00 f3 0f 1e fa 48 63 f6 48 c1 e6

I have seen them for a while. Firefox itself seems not to be affected by this.

Summing up, my system works fine, I have no complaints.

Literally the definition of updating.

100% false. All the other distros are doing like this:

• currently running kernel is e.g. 5.19.0-21-generic
  • the kernel 5.19.0-29-generic is installed and set as first GRUB entry (with 5.19.0-21-generic recovery mode as the second GRUB entry)
  • the [currently running] 5.19.0-21-generic is moved to the third GRUB entry (with 5.19.0-21-generic recovery mode as the fourth GRUB entry)

No kernel is deleted, unless the currently running kernel was old enough to be the last in the list of maximum numbers of kernels to be kept (usually 3 kernels).

So [in other distros] the reboot is usually not necessary when a kernel is updated, unless the update fixes an important security vulnerability.

Also, other core packages can misbehave after an update as long as you don’t reboot, like systemd or dbus, and AFAIK no distribution keep multiple versions of those.

Services can be restarted, and other distros have tools to identify this situation (needrestart in Debian/Ubuntu, needs-restarting in yum-utils or dnf-utils).

System libraries are another issue, and yes, their update normally requires a reboot. Maybe Windows is having the best approach here, by not updating any system file until after the system is rebooted. I don’t know why in 30 years of Linux, nobody thought of doing the same. AFAIK, Windows cannot delete or replace files that are in use. (Note that I hate Windows, but I’m just saying.)

Other updates that visibly require action are e.g. when components of X or of the DE are updated. Fully rebooting is not required.

I rest my case:

• When Pamac says that a reboot is required, it’s wrong in most cases. It updates binaries that are not running. Or, if they’re running and part of the DE, a log-off + logon is enough.
  • Any decent distro does not replace the currently running kernel. It adds a new kernel and puts it first in the list.

I had to revert back to the 6.1.7 kernel instead of keeping the 6.1.9 kernel. Reason? The native laptop monitor would be black while the external monitor worked. Go figure.

I might suggest settling down a bit. If you find something “not the way you do it”, you could always install arch from scratch and tune it however you like, or you could take a breath and ask some questions to learn why something is done a specific way and/or if there are alternative ways/packages to weave in what you’re looking for.

I have a suspicion you may want to investigate kernel-alive and kernel-modules-hook (I think only available through AUR now) to see if either might bring you closer to what you are looking for… search the forum for those package names may expose some “issues” (depending on what behavior s expected), extra steps, and/or considerations others have been faced with that you might appreciate knowing in advance.

As per Stefano Capitani / kernel-alive · GitLab

kernel-alive

Collection of scripts that back up modules of currently running kernel after a kernel update to prevent some issues that happen after a kernel update.

After a kernel update, the modules of the currently running kernel are deleted. Thus, they can’t be loaded, which can cause some issues when those missing modules are needed. Modules backed up this way can still be loaded and used by the system if needed. Therefore, it helps the operating system to stay fully functional after a kernel update.

Please note that new version of the kernel will still only be used at the next boot.

(Created after this thread : When I install nvidia proprietary drivers, manjaro doesn't boot ;Took an idea found on Reddit)

As per GitHub - saber-nyan/kernel-modules-hook: Keeps your Arch Linux fully functional after a kernel upgrade

kernel-modules-hook

Tired of missing modules when updating the kernel?
Annoyed by modprobe: FATAL: Module smth not found in directory /lib/modules/new-kernel?
Losing uptime after reboots due to kernel update?

The solution is here.

• Save.
  • Update.
  • Restore.
  • Enjoy.

Do not worry, backups are automatically cleaned.

7 Likes

I’ve had a bunch of issues immediately after updating. I’m running Kernel 5.15.91-1.

• OBS seg faults. I tried reinstalling NVidia drivers multiple times. Didn’t help. I’ve reverted to the previous version of OBS and now it works again.
  • VLC would crash immediately when trying to play any video. I opened VLC directly, and changed Preferences > Video > Output from “Automatic” to “VDPAU” and it works now. I found that solution on another thread but I still don’t understand the problem and why VDPAU works.
  • Bluetooth no longer sees any devices although apparently it is running. I’m still trying to figure that out.

I’ve been using Manjaro as my primary OS since 2019 and I’ve never had this much trouble from an update.

3 Likes

I have a similar problem, except I cannot connect my AKG bluetooth headphones at all since this update. Did you find a solution to your problem? Edit: my problem was user error. I accidentally had toggled bluetooth on my phone and so the headphones had already connected to that.

I have received a stable-update request for mesa 22.3.4-2 . This can only be a case of confusion, can’t it ?

February 05, 2023

Stable22.3.4-2

Testing22.3.4-1

Unstable22.3.4-1

[ ~]$sudo pacman-mirrors -id && sudo pacman -Syyu
[sudo] password for x: 
::INFO Downloading mirrors from Manjaro
::INFO => Mirror pool: https://repo.manjaro.org/mirrors.json
::INFO => Mirror status: https://repo.manjaro.org/status.json
::INFO Using custom mirror file
::INFO Querying mirrors - This may take some time
  0.213 Germany        : https://mirror.moson.org/manjaro/
::INFO User generated mirror list
::------------------------------------------------------------
::INFO Custom mirror file saved: /var/lib/pacman-mirrors/custom-mirrors.json
::INFO Writing mirror list
::Germany         : https://mirror.moson.org/manjaro/stable/$repo/$arch
::INFO Mirror list generated and saved to: /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
:: Paketdatenbanken werden synchronisiert …
 core                                      163,5 KiB   743 KiB/s 00:00 [#######################################] 100%
 extra                                    1857,9 KiB  2,91 MiB/s 00:01 [#######################################] 100%
 community                                   7,5 MiB  7,14 MiB/s 00:01 [#######################################] 100%
 multilib                                  169,2 KiB   783 KiB/s 00:00 [#######################################] 100%
:: Vollständige Systemaktualisierung wird gestartet …
Abhängigkeiten werden aufgelöst …
Nach in Konflikt stehenden Paketen wird gesucht …

Pakete (9) libva-mesa-driver-22.3.4-2  mesa-22.3.4-2  mesa-vdpau-22.3.4-2  opencl-mesa-22.3.4-2
           vulkan-intel-22.3.4-2  vulkan-mesa-layers-22.3.4-2  vulkan-radeon-22.3.4-2  vulkan-swrast-22.3.4-2
           vulkan-virtio-22.3.4-2

Gesamtgröße des Downloads:              66,81 MiB
Gesamtgröße der installierten Pakete:  205,02 MiB
Größendifferenz der Aktualisierung:    -49,20 MiB

:: Installation fortsetzen? [J/n] n
[ ~]$ 

@Manjaro-Team ?

Edit:
OK (sarcasm), found the reason:

…this was brought up after my post, couldn’t find it before. A hint beforehand would have been nice.

Similar issue and Solution.
I don’t use VPN servers requiring a pin, rather static saved credentials to vpn in Network Manager.
Fails to connect on 2.6

1 Like

I noticed that too today and it really confused me and it still confuses me… ^^

Thanks for great work you do. Really love the dist

Indeed. PKGBUILD changes are available now.