[Stable Update] 2022-12-06 - Kernels, Mesa, Plasma, Cinnamon, Nvidia, LibreOffice, Pipewire, Virtualbox

strange that after this upgrade my intel NUC can’t display, it will flash a purple screen and then goes blank. Will think to re-install the OS :cry:

update: the display works after I choose “fallback initramfs”, need some help ! I’m not familiar with it.

Affects only hardware-accelerated video decoding. Encoding is unaffected.

Nvidia and Intel GPUs are unaffected.

1 Like

Before running update, modified /etc/pacman.conf to ignore package update for mesa as follows:

IgnorePkg   = mesa mesa-demos mesa-vdpau lib32-libva-mesa-driver lib32-mesa lib32-mesa-demos lib32-mesa-vdpau libva-mesa-driver lib32-vulkan-intel lib32-vulkan-radeon vulkan-intel vulkan-radeon 

Update completed without problems.

Running with:

mesa 22.2.3-1
mesa-demos 8.5.0-2
mesa-vdpau 22.2.3-1
lib32-libva-mesa-driver 22.2.3-1
lib32-mesa 22.2.3-1 
lib32-mesa-demos 8.5.0-1 
lib32-mesa-vdpau 22.2.3-1
libva-mesa-driver 22.2.4-1 
lib32-vulkan-intel 22.2.3-1
lib32-vulkan-radeon 22.2.3-1
vulkan-intel 22.2.3-1
vulkan-radeon 22.2.3-1

No problems here in Plasma 5.24.7 LTS with the above-quoted bump to KDE Frameworks. Just thought I’d mention this, for those who are also still using the LTS version of Plasma. :slight_smile:

The only small surprise I had with this update — but this was quickly remedied — was that for some mysterious reason, the Telegram Desktop icon had vanished from my Favorites section in the Application Dashboard. But that was of course easily put back. :wink:

2 Likes

ERROR:pulse_util.cc(350)] pa_operation is nullptr.

I found out that the problem occurs in the WaitForOperationCompletion function

This is fixed with 390.157-2

Thank you, I appreciate. RDP is quite important to my use case.

1 Like

Great, thank you @greysoft !

I am using pipewire and the same situation, restarting the services fixes temporally the audio as it crash again later

1 Like

I can confirm 390.157-2 fixed the issue for me, thank you very much @philm

Indeed. As an aside, I found out that the problem is caused by plugging in my second monitor that had a different refresh rate. Removing it makes the icons, font, aurorae window border etc work well. But I need to use my second monitor so Plasma LTS it is.

I had the same behaviour with Gnome/X11, but this has happend before on other major updates too.
You don’t need to do a hard reset in these cases: please switch to another Terminal session (i.e. Crtl+Alt+F3). There you can check if pamac or pacman is still updating and when there is no further activity, you can do a sudo reboot.

Would this need to be done for the lib32 version of the package, as well? If so, would you have a link to its repo? (I looked but I couldn’t find it…)

I am with Ryzen 5800H running only with integrated AMD video, the problems with wake up from sleep actually started after update to kernel 6.0.8-1. I moved to 6.0.5_rt14 and the problem is gone. On 6.0.6.1 everything was working. I can confirm that with 5.15 LTS it is working correctly.

The openvpn client in GNOME is not working anymore. It keeps asking me for my password, but never connects. The same configuration works when I run it from the terminal.

it unfortunately also affects encoding.

For now it looks like it hasn’t been disabled for on lib32-mesa since I also couldn’t find a repo for it.
If/when it is disabled the repo with the package should be in Multilib · GitLab

1 Like

Found the solution myself. I had to change the cipher to AES-256-GCM. That’s what is negotiated when running it from the terminal. Cannot verify if this was changed by the update.

1 Like

I think this is why it’s recommended for Gnome users to update from a TTY rather than the GUI.

I have Ryzen 4800H but with dedicated nVidia GPU, after update my external HDMI monitor stopped receiving signal. Common fix with adding ‘Option “PrimaryGPU” “Yes”’ into /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ → 10-amdgpu-nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf only made everything “black” including primary monitor. I had to reinstall video-hybrid-amd-nvidia-prime, apply the common fix again and luckily all works as before update. I also updated kernel to linux60, but the trick was in reinstalling graphics drivers. Hope that helps anyone else. No more issues detected so far.