[Stable Update] 2022-12-06 - Kernels, Mesa, Plasma, Cinnamon, Nvidia, LibreOffice, Pipewire, Virtualbox

After the upgrade my sound stopped working.
I already tried to downgrade pipewire, alsa-card-profiles and libcamera but it still doesn’t work (I’m always restarting after any change). I also tried with an older kernel but no success.
Pulseaudio looks normal. It recognizes the different output devices and I can change volume but no sound comes out of my laptop.
I’m using cinnamon desktop env btw.
Does anyone else have an idea which upgrade could have caused my sound not working and what I could do to fix it?

[UPDATE]: Following the advice mentioned down below, I can get sound for a while again by restarting the pulseaudio service. But for example pluging in headphones or just changing the volume will make it not work again. My laptop is currently almost unusable for me like this (it’s my work laptop and I need video calls etc.)

4 Likes

I reported that the NVIDIA 525 update made my, and others’, external display unusable in the 2022-12-01 Testing Update thread and the issue has not been resolved. The only solution for now is to downgrade to 515 or to ensure that the built-in display remains enabled at all times, which is a major regression.

The upstream project Mesa disabled those codecs by default. Arch decided to ship those codecs still. Others followed the suggestion by upstream and kept them disabled.

The assumption that patents are already paid by the hardware manufacturer of your graphics card is wrong. I can’t get into specifics, but there are plenty of legal games that are played by hardware vendors to avoid paying those fees.

One example is Apple. If you ever bought a product from them you will have a separate position on your bill stating fees for proprietary codecs of around 5 €. This way you as the customer pay the fee so Apple can provide you with that user experience. You can also read this: Apple-supported H.264 standard gains free license for Internet video use | AppleInsider

As a distribution, we have to ensure we don’t have a way to enable a complete codepath for such codecs to avoid the legal risks. There are a number of ways to approach this, but it’s important that Manjaro itself cannot provide a complete path to access hardware acceleration for these codecs either.

So to answer your question: scroll up as it might have been answered already.

3 Likes

Did the full update and restarted: Absolutely no issues for me, everything seems to be working perfectly… includes system suspend, monitor power saving, and playing Youtube videos. I’m also an amdgpu / Mesa user so I was concerned at first… KDE here but still on X11 instead of Wayland, wonder if some of the issues mentioned here are WL specific which would mean I did well not to switch yet.

Is this Gentoo?
It’s not a solution.

1 Like

I don’t think that is necessary as Manjaro isn’t based in the US:

3 Likes

can I ask, was there linux 6.0 in this stable update ?
I updated but my system shows kernel 5.15.81-1-MANJARO.
I just wanna know if I had any problems in my system ?

1 Like

Is plasma freezes fixed here? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

kernel is maintained at current level - it is a user decision which kernel to use.

Can’t you read the first post or search for packages yourself?

And? If you want some other kernel, then install it.

Sooo… I’ll be building from source for the foreseeable future… on Manjaro!

This is my life now. :upside_down_face:

Edit: If someone comes knocking with a legal notice it’ll be you guys who’re on the hook (not us users) so I can see why you would want to be cautious. Still sucks.

2 Likes

Well you don’t have to if you know from where you get the binary package which is compatible. We only distribute ours from now on. Anyway here more info about the situation: https://nitter.net/spotfoss/status/1575885891922690048 and The Cost of Codecs: Royalty-Bearing Video Compression Standards and the Road that Lies Ahead - CableLabs

1 Like

Haha I think I am aware of that
@philm quotes

Our current supported kernels

linux419 4.19.267
    linux54 5.4.225
    linux510 5.10.157
    linux515 5.15.81
    linux519 5.19.17 [EOL]
    linux60 6.0.11
    linux61 6.1.0rc7
    linux515-rt 5.15.79_rt54
    linux60-rt 6.0.5_rt14

so yeah there has to be linux 6.0. But since I am not quite aware of things like [EOL] and rt54 and r14, I thought of asking here. I know my question was stupid but I would be grateful if I was educated on these things.

My original being : is stable update receiving 6.0 kernel or is it still in version 5 ?

Fairly certain there exists no such thing as a law about “enabling a full code path”: Either you’re allowed to redistribute a certain product and include it, or you aren’t and don’t include that library on the server. Much as some crazy tech dystopians may dream of a programming police next, you can make anything work however you want: Laws apply solely to what you’re allowed to distribute or not.

For me mp4 support is still working well in latest stable, both for h264 and h265 codec videos as well as Youtube on Firefox. Glad that doesn’t seem to be universally broken in any way.

1 Like

well: Packages

1 Like

Will there be an “unofficial” guide to the alternatives? I am a Manjaro / Linux newbie and most of the articles I’ve found have been associated with RPMFusion and Fedora which, I’m assuming, are not the compatible binary packages you referred to here.

rt kernels are realtime kernels which are not need unless you deal with things/want things with as little latency as possible which is useful for music production and(i think mostly only hear it used with music) video editing. EOL stand for end of life so it will not get updates and will be removed in a later update. the current kernel is 6.0 with 5.15 being the LTS which means it will get security updates for 6 years. the next LTS as of posting will be 6.1 if no issues appear.

3 Likes

much helpful

No, I think he means the Arch packages.

If you take a look inside /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist you’ll find Mnajaro’s repos.
If you open up one of those URLs in a browser you’ll find that many of them maintain repos for other distros, including Arch. Then it’s just search, download, install.

Even being based in Germany?

I thought the legal risks only apply to U.S.-based companies?

1 Like