[Stable Update] 2022-11-02 - Kernel, Plasma 5.26.2, Plasma Mobile Gear 22.09, LibreOffice, Virtualbox 7.0.2, Systemd, Mesa

As a test I installed the 5.19 kernel and the system boots and runs as normal. This implies to me that the problem, [FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules, is or related to this particular kernel version 6.0.6-1 for my desktop hardware? Earlier versions of 6 worked ok.

If that is the case then probably my best solution is to wait for the next 6.0.x kernel update.

After updating, I’m unable to login locally (XFCE). No mouse or keyboard. Unable to switch to alternate console.

I’m able to ssh in, and run “shutdown -r”. Default kernel is 5.15.76. Reboot takes a long time, complains about modprobe, system-udevd, rasdaemon, and maybe others.

Booting with fall-back kernel of 5.10 works fine thus far.

I’m out of ideas for today, but will re-visit tomorrow. At least system seems to work with older kernel.

Uninstalling rasdaemon enabled the system to run after the latest update.

This I’ve got the same problems as kippie.

When I tried to reinstall Manjaro via bootable drive, the icons are back up again. But when I’m update it’s all gone. Something the updates is causing my stuff to bad.

Any help by the way?

create a new test user, log out and log in with it, and see if it has also issues…

Minor issue where various KDE apps (Dolphin, Konsole, Kate, KSystemLog) have forgotten window size/position settings. Not a big deal but annoying all the same.

Created a test user and the icons show up. But when I hover on them, they disappear.
Tried also reverting updates via installing from the latest installer Ruach, and didn’t install the following:

No dice. I still get the same no icons problem. The font on some of my windows are also kinda funky.

I think I’m having the same problems as this guy: All desktop and menu icons missing
But I don’t have the same packages installed as his. Tried also the mhwd commands with the top answer, but nothing happens with my case. I’m using AMD radeon rx 6800 xt as graphics card. Not nvidia

KDE/Plasma

the windows/Super L keyboard key is permanently bound to the application menu regardless of what app menu is being used and there’s no obvious way to unbind it

in my case the windows/Super L key is not bound to anything in settings > shortcuts or settings > custom shortcuts

that other user with the exact issue, had installed the wrong drivers… and its not a messed up config, since it didnt work with the test user too…
try switching kernels;
also provide output from:
inxi -G && mhwd -l -li

Inside ~/.config/kwinrc look for

[ModifierOnlyShortcuts]
Meta=

then comment it and see if it unbind the Meta key.

Has anyone experienced blackish Dolphin icon in the Dashboard menu with Breeze theme instead of blue one? How can i change one to regular blue?

I have the same problem.
My extended screen does not work anymore with KDE Plasma.
At login I see both screens, and the only the main screen is usable.
This is my hardware:

inxi -F

System:
  Host: legion5 Kernel: 6.0.6-1-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64
    Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.26.2 Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 82JU v: Legion 5 15ACH6H

Mobo: LENOVO model: LNVNB161216 
     UEFI: LENOVO v: 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 80.2 Wh (97.0%) condition: 82.7/80.0 Wh (103.4%)
CPU:
  Info: 6-core model: AMD Ryzen 5 5600H with Radeon Graphics bits: 64
    type: MT MCP cache: L2: 3 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 1406 min/max: 1200/4280 cores: 1: 1457 2: 1200 3: 1200
    4: 1200 5: 1200 6: 3300 7: 1197 8: 1200 9: 1197 10: 1200 11: 1266 12: 1264
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GA106M [GeForce RTX 3060 Mobile / Max-Q] driver: nvidia
    v: 520.56.06
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.4 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.4 driver: N/A
    resolution: 1: 1920x1080~120Hz 2: N/A
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 520.56.06 renderer: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
    Laptop GPU/PCIe/SSE2

Is there a way to diagnose this problem?

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

Enabling the second screen did not help. All screens go black and then the revert back to the single screen.

My kernels are already at 5.15. Been staying there kind of the whole time until the update. When I had the issue I tried upgrading to 6.0, and 5.19 and downgrading to 5.10, since I figure it might have been that. Nothing works still.
Here’s my results:

Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Navi 21 [Radeon RX 6800/6800 XT / 6900 XT] driver: amdgpu
    v: kernel
  Device-2: AMD Picasso/Raven 2 [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Mobile Series]
    driver: amdgpu v: kernel
  Device-3: Logitech Webcam C310 type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu
    unloaded: modesetting,radeon dri: radeonsi gpu: amdgpu resolution:
    1: 1920x1080~60Hz 2: 1920x1080~60Hz 3: 1920x1080~60Hz
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 22.2.1 renderer: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (navi21
    LLVM 14.0.6 DRM 3.42 5.15.76-1-MANJARO)
> Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!
> 0000:03:00.0 (0300:1002:73bf) Display controller ATI Technologies Inc:
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

> 0000:0c:00.0 (0300:1002:15d8) Display controller ATI Technologies Inc:
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

> 0000:07:00.0 (0200:10ec:8168) Network controller Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.:
         network-r8168            2016.04.20                true            PCI

EDIT:
Oh I tried the command for mhwd again, although it didn’t work, I realized the reason why it isn’t, is that the command isn’t switching to the proprietary drivers. I keep getting the free one. I also looked at the GUI checkbox in case I could change it there, but they’re kinda unclickable,

Yubico Authenticator doesn’t show the codes.
I’ve tried:
sudo systemctl start pcscd
sudo systemctl enable pcscd

My Yubikey is ok.
ykman info
Device type: YubiKey 5 NFC
Serial number: 9264957
Firmware version: 5.1.2
Form factor: Keychain (USB-A)
Enabled USB interfaces: OTP, FIDO, CCID
NFC transport is enabled.
Applications USB NFC
FIDO2 Enabled Enabled
OTP Enabled Enabled
FIDO U2F Enabled Enabled
OATH Enabled Enabled
YubiHSM Auth Not available Not available
OpenPGP Enabled Enabled
PIV Enabled Disabled

Downgrade yubikey-manager to 4.09.-1 and is works fine.
It seems it is bug.

One (very minor) problem I’ve found with this is that XScreenSaver’s GL Slideshow no longer displays any of the chosen images.
This is due to the new version of Perl throwing a fatal error when attempting to use syswrite() on a UTF8 filehandle.
I’ve raised a bug up-stream, but I have found a workaround:
Edit /usr/lib/xscreensaver/xscreensaver-getimage-file and comment out lines 1552 and 1553. This makes it work again, though I don’t know if there are any other implications to doing this.

2 Likes

When will we get Gnome 43 though?

you have amd and installed the proper drivers, there are no proprietary drivers available for you…
switch to wayland, but first install this:
sudo pacman -S plasma-wayland-session
log out and select wayland in the lower left corner and see if it helped…
but be warned, wayland can be buggy…

Just tried it. It would show me the login screen, but once I try to login with wayland selected at the bottom left, I’d get a black screen then my pc restarts again. So I can’t really login with it.
EDIT: Never mind.

I had to change the kernel to 6.0, so it’s now working.

Thank you so much!
EDIT2:
Well technically the icons are back up with Kernels 6.0 & 6.1. I tried 5.19 in case, but that doesn’t work. So there’s only 6.0 and 6.1.

However, with those settings, my third monitor does shows up, but it’s kinda non-functional. The mouse doesn’t show up. But when right clicking, the right click window shows up albeit kinda laggy. Even with that right click though, the mouse wouldn’t show up.

Update on Manjaro KDE breaks my Looking Glass setup. The performance is reduced from 160+ fps to 70 fps at best. The diagonal tearing is present in the video output. The author of Looking Glass in the discussion said this is not an issue with Looking Glass itself.

Did you try 5.19 kernel?