[Stable Update] 2022-10-10 - Kernels, Octopi, Deepin, GlibC, Haskell, Python; Nvidia 520.56.06

Okay, thanks… but isnt there also a LTS Nvidia driver available 4.70 or something?

I mean there was also a way for Linux people using older nvidia GPU Kepler cards, after nvidia stopped supporting this cards… 1-2years ago maybe if i remember the right time window.

There should be a solution for this problem… or im wrong?

well you can remove the latest nvidia drivers, and install the 470xx version and see if its without the issue… this would be a better solution than downgrading

1 Like

Allright thanks… is there a tutorial, how i can archive this goal or could you explain it to me?

check what drivers are available and what you have installed:
mhwd -l && mhwd -li
then you uninstall the latest drivers - those without any number, here is an example:
sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia
and install the older version:
sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia-470xx
reboot… this is an example, if you have installed hybrid drivers you modify the commands above, if you are not sure post the output from the mhwd command here… also here is manjaro wiki:

1 Like

I use the Nouveau driver since I am not a gamer. It is bug free and does all that I possibly need. I have been very happy with my choice. And I get to use the latest kernels with never a problem because it is a kernel driver. Perhaps worthy of your consideration. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: I have this graphics redrawing issue

After the update, wifi network didn’t work.
I have to reboot to connect again.
This happens from the last two updates. Before, after an update, I was able to connect to Internet immediately.

Core packages are usually updated on each update, so it’s good practice to always reboot afterwards anyway.

1 Like

Just discovered that Calibre is also showing cre dump errors, too.

1 Like

Generally speaking, a number of things may not work after any decent-sized upgrade, until you reboot. Probably because the version of particular binaries that are cached in memory are unable to find the precise library versions they require as those have been replaced. I often find that KDE won’t log off from the “exit” button after an upgrade, for example.
So essentially, it’s always likely to be worthwhile (perhaps even necessary) to reboot after any significant update, in order to avoid the sort of problem you’re seeing.

2 Likes

Yup. It’s just weird. Surely there’s a way around this?

In order to get things “working” again, you can’t even use the standard method of rebooting from KDE. :melting_face: Have to resort to systemctl reboot in a terminal.

It’s like someone on Windows 10, having just did a Windows Update, resorting to cmd.exe to manually reboot their system with a command.

2 Likes

I have a 2080Ti, to use Nouveau would be a big downgrade.

No doubt. Not for you! I was having to use the very ancient 340x NVIDIA drivers. So, I got saved by Nouveau.

I just installed Manjaro on a new laptop with an AMD integrated GPU and a Nvidia 3060 using the hybrid driver.

I had to add “nvidia-drm.modeset=1” to /etc/default/grub for reverse PRIME to work so I can use the HDMI output that is connected to the Nvidia card.

Would it be possible to have that setting by default when using video-hybrid-amd-nvidia-prime?

To be honest, I hardly think opening a terminal and typing one whole command is much of an imposition.

That’s missing the point entirely.

“You’re holding it wrong.”

1 Like

Thanks for this workaround for Strawberry which had also segfaults with Qt6.4 on Gnome session/Xorg.
Other workaround for me was to start Gnome session under Wayland.

UPDATE: I think I found what is the root cause of the problems we all have with Samba shares since the last update! Smbclient 4.17 is bugged:
Bug report: Unable to write to gvfs mount point
Hopefully the fix will be available here soon…

See if samba 4.17.2 fixes the issue.

I fast tracked it to all branches due to security fixes for the following:

CVE-2022-3437
CVE-2022-3592

2 Likes

I can confirm that everything is back to normal with samba 4.17.2.
Thanks a lot for the quick update, solving the bug and the security issues alltogether, very nice :+1: