[Stable Update] 2022-09-12 - Kernels, LibreOffice, KDE Gear, KDE Frameworks, Firefox, Thunderbird, Pipewire, Mesa

I agree.

I was going to wait and see what happened after 104 took so long.

For most people the Browser is where they operate, so staying up to date is really important.

Three “high impact” vulnerabilities on list:

1 Like

I also have this mentioned standby issue, but I don’t even use standby mode intentionally, it just does that now when I want it to shut down and close the lid. Shutting down with open lid works and closing the lid with a regularly running system works (AKA: does nothing with my settings), but if I combine both, it goes into standby instead. This did not happen before. Would this also be fixed with the 5.19 kernel? I would prefer to stay on LTS, because updating graphics drivers etc. every time and checking if everything still works is a hassle.

I just want mention something. While I don’t use a laptop, but a big stationary PC and make use of the standby mode manually with a keyboard shortcut. I never had a problem with waking up or going into standby mode. So that in itself is not faulty, but maybe something that is specific to laptops. I am on Kernel 5.19 and didn’t have any problem with it prior versions either.

I know we should not post here just saying it works. But I think this little information can help in understanding the issue. Did anyone have a standby issue on a PC?

is it i just got used to the laggy new plasma or has it became a bit less laggy? anyway im waiting for the stable update for it

Bad news, but:

1 Like

I want to mention something to try for getting KDE to resume from sleep mode using the 5.19 kernel or any of the newer kernels for that matter.

Go to Energy saving in settings. Go to the Buttons event handling. Under that where it says

“When power button pressed” select Prompt log out dialog.

See if your system likes that,

I found that, It crashes only when there is Application Menu Bar

Thanks, I found that It crashes only when there is Application Menu Bar, Now I anderstand.

1 Like

For the KDE folks who are having issues, maybe it helps:

I upgraded and KDE was totally broken to unusable, reverted using timeshift, then I found something on a reddit post something about adding XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=KDE to /etc/environment and also removing ~/.cache folder.

I did only these 2 things and upgraded again, and seems to work, but I can’t confirm if both are needed or not.

4 Likes

I have a issue with h265 playback since the update.
There are now green and purple artifacts from the beginning of playback, starting out in the top left corner.

I have the same effect on four different installations with a different age. The last one installed 16.09.2022 with the latest ISO from that day.
I tried several different .mkv files on VLC and Kodi.
All installations use KDE.

.mkv files using the h264 codec have no issue.

Not sure if there is anything I could test.
Does someone else have this issue too?

I had no heavy issues so far, only with the KDE wallpaper plugin “Inactive Blur”, which I initially pulled from KDE store, but updated manually from its git repo.

The other greater issue was the package libgovirt, which I needed to revert to 0.3.8-1. This was because of virt-viewer crashed (I am disallowed to include a big ticket link here).

I am no user of Wayland so far, because X11 does what it should: It simply works. I recently tried Wayland, and it almost immediately crashed after login. I don’t know about the cause, maybe my user profile is very special. Yes, KDE has flaws. But Gnome or XFCE is not better at all.

Hi. I’ve only had one issue (that I know of so far) from upgrading this week. It’s kind of an edge case…

I use Citrix Workspace to connect to a Virtual Windows machine at work. Since the upgrade, I cannot use the hot corners feature in KDE to ‘Present Windows - All Desktops’ and select another application. This was working fine before the update.

The only way I can get back to the Linux desktop, is to hit the Windows key, which brings up both the Windows start menu, and the Manjaro application launcher window - I can then select any Linux app or click the show desktop icon to use Linux apps again.

inxi says…
System:
Host: SER4800U Kernel: 5.19.7-1-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.25.5 Distro: Manjaro Linux
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD Renoir driver: amdgpu v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu
unloaded: modesetting gpu: amdgpu resolution: 3840x2160~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD RENOIR (LLVM 14.0.6 DRM 3.47 5.19.7-1-MANJARO) v: 4.6
Mesa 22.1.7

Hopefully someone knows what’s going on and can point me to a solution. TIA

Probably this. But a solution? I’m afraid patience…

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Oh boy! After typing all that out, I went back into the system settings → Workspace Behaviour → Screen Edges page. I noticed the Highlight Changed Settings button, clicked that and small red dots appeared at various places.

One of these was the Behaviour setting… ‘Remain active when windows are full-screen’.

So I checked the box, clicked Apply - and it’s all back to normal again! Hurrah! :blush:

1 Like

My god!5.25.5 always crash on my PC.

1 Like

Just sharing actions required:

1. One package that I had installed, dia, got moved to AUR. I just removed it because there are alternatives and it depends on gtk2.

2. Thunderbird had 2 issues:

• My Menu Bar customization was gone. I re-added the icons to the Menu Bar.

• I was using the System Theme, but had to enable the Dark (or Light) because of multiple strangeness:

• When the window did not have focus, the entire Menu Bar, actually all components were gone. In this case, not visible. Perhaps font color.

• When Customize was selected, the items in the menu were not visible. If I grabbed the customization area a few would become visible.

3. #38 - Xfce, bluetooth permissions differ

Desktop: XFCE

we should have stuck with 5.24

8 Likes

It should be a statistical problem, applications started through plank will be calculated as the memory used by plank

1 Like

Just to let you know, the issue is related to hardware-accelerated playback.
If I disable VAAPI support for HEVC in Kodi, or disable hardware-accelerated decoding in VLC, there are no more green artifacts.

The issue is not related to one specific hardware although it might be a AMD/Radeon thing. It occurred on a new Ryzen / Radeon RX 6800 and an old AMD A10 rig. I still need to check on the other hardware.