[Stable Update] 2022-09-12 - Kernels, LibreOffice, KDE Gear, KDE Frameworks, Firefox, Thunderbird, Pipewire, Mesa

After updating, i got a black screen on the first reboot. Waited 10 minutes and nothing happened, although i could hear my hard drive moving.
I just restarted again and it all worked on that reboot

1 Like

< begin rant >

In my personal opinion, we should have stuck to Plasma 5.24. It was a long-term support release and it was perfect.

Plasma 5.25 has loads of bugs — which I was already warning those newbies about who were loudly complaining weeks ago as to why 5.25 wasn’t in the Stable branch yet — and the graphical transitions from 3D compositing to 2D compositing are now all messed up, as could already be seen when the KDE developers rewrote the flip switch and cover switch effects a while ago. And so now that ugliness has also reached the desktop grid effect and the desktop layout indicators when switching between virtual desktops.

So those are the issues I was having, and I solved it by disabling the desktop layout indicators. I guess I’ll just have to live with the ugly desktop grid rewrite.

Seriously, we should have stuck with 5.24. :frowning:

< end rant >

24 Likes

Wonderful picture!

I switched to the testing branch on my PC yesterday, so I can’t report anything :slight_smile: Anything but since I got to the testing branch yesterday, finally my gimp color picker does function :slight_smile:

Congratulation for this beautyful release.

1 Like

So if anyone uses backintime, packages have been renamed by the looks of it, and backintime replaces backintime-cli, so you need to install backintime-qt if you want a GUI.

Otherwise no issues so far.

3 Likes

Yeah, I hate it when seeing people saying things like: “Ah, things work for me so there might be some problems on your side” without actually being helpful to those who actually came across the problem.

7 Likes

I just had a huge issue with my custom KDE Plasma after this update. First I had issues with my keyrings, which I resolved by following the docs, but now I’m stuck with the issue below. It’s been awhile since a major issue like this:

Any help is highly appreciated.

Major issues here. Maybe the Nouveau driver I am using. ??

The plasma desktop was not loading. I had a mouse cursor. I could launch apps that had a shortcut assigned such as Dolphin. But no DE. :frowning:

I used Timeshift to roll back to KDE 5.24.6. Whew.

The 5.19 kernel upgraded just fine as far as I can tell.

I redid the update but held back anything that wanted to update to 5.25.5-1. So I am at 5.24.6 but KDE frameworks 5.97 and Qt. 5.15.5 using x11

The plasma shell is working again.

2 Likes

Yes, I had to roll back to 5.24.6 then redid the update, updating everything except upgrading to 5.25.5-1.

It is working again. But now what? Be patient? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

I have a small problem with Firefox 104.2.2:
Pop up windows open with the complete size of the desktop at the following link: https://www.surfmusik.de/radio/swr-3-live-dsl,920.html

I have a problem with Ruby default gem updates. I got this error when installing the packages from stable update 2022-09-12.

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
ruby-ruby2_keywords: /usr/lib/ruby/gems/3.0.0/gems/ruby2_keywords-0.0.5/LICENSE exists in filesystem
ruby-ruby2_keywords: /usr/lib/ruby/gems/3.0.0/gems/ruby2_keywords-0.0.5/README.md exists in filesystem
ruby-ruby2_keywords: /usr/lib/ruby/gems/3.0.0/gems/ruby2_keywords-0.0.5/lib/ruby2_keywords.rb exists in filesystem
ruby-ruby2_keywords: /usr/lib/ruby/gems/3.0.0/specifications/ruby2_keywords-0.0.5.gemspec exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Should I uninstall Ruby before updating the packages? Any ideas?

Edit: This issue has been resolved. I removed the conflicting files above and re-run the pacman command for package updates. Maybe uninstalling Ruby is not a good idea because there are other tools, like RubyGems and Bundler, that are dependent with it.

I haven’t updated yet. I’d like to know what the above means before proceeding.

pacman -Ss xfce-gtk3 shows 2 packages. Of those two, I have installed community/manjaro-xfce-settings 20220616-2.

I also:

• searched pacman -Ss compat|grep -i xfce to make sure I wasn’t missing anything.
  • looked at the detailed list of all package changes, saved it and grepped for compat (results were haskell and libcurl).

What packages make up the XFCE-gtk3 compatible packages?

After the update,
on Manjaro KDE, everything related to KDE (especially Plasma) has huge lags.
Clicking anything on the desktop, taskbar now takes about 3s until something happens.
All other programms work fine (Firefox, Vivaldi, KeePassXC, etc…). It’s just “everything KDE” that feels sloppy, laggy and unresponsive now.

Tried with kernels:
5.18.19-3, 5.19.7-1
(I need at least 5.18.x for the AMD videocard to work)

HW:
Ryzen 7 5800X
AMD RX 6700 XT

Update: Tried clearing cache, now Plasma crashes on boot.
Will revert to previous update via timeshift and try to make a “cleaner” update later. Have to work now :stuck_out_tongue:

Update 2: Tried another upgrade after clearing all caches, tmp and closing all programs and it works now. I have, however other minor problems with KDE now, for example: the autostart entries in systemsettings5 do not work anymore.

2 Likes

try clearing cache:
rm -rf ~/.cache/*
reboot

Plasma 5.25 broke also Latte (latte-dock).

latte-dock-git from AUR works with Plasma 5.25.

1 Like

KDE 5.25.5 at last!

YES!

After the update:

element-desktop isn’t working for me anymore. Using a custom homeserver I get:

Connectivity to the server has been lost.
Sent messages will be stored until your connection has returned.

Accessing the homeserver via webinterface still works.

Update broke remote-viewer.
But according to this reddit thread and it’s sources, it’s an issue with libgovirt 0.3.9 being broken.
The maintainer actually reverted the version to 0.3.8 but this was not reflected in the manjaro repos, as it’s still 0.3.9.

Temporary fixed by downgrading from package cache and ignoring upgrades in pacman.conf

2 Likes

Just one minor problem as far as I can see.
For some reason, hitting the top/left corner of my screen suddenly decided to trigger the “present windows” action. Curiously, “no action” was still ticked when I went into systemsettings and looked at “Screen edges”. Changing it to something else then back to “no action” then hitting “apply” fixed it.

1 Like

8 posts were split to a new topic: Okular reader turns to light theme after the update