[Stable Update] 2022-07-12 - Kernels, Pipewire, Mesa, KDE Gear, Plasma, KDE Frameworks, Gnome, Python, Haskell

After updating and booting with Kernel 5.18.10-1, smb-mounts for my Synology NAS I did set up via systemd mounts fail.

Reverting back to Kernel 5.17.15-1 or 5.15.53-1 brings back the mounts.
As I am not a deeply technical user, I kind of struggle to figure out, what happens here … …

set media.ffmpeg.vaapi.enabled to false

This setting can also be changed using Firefox about:config
search for ‘vaapi’ and press toggle button: (or reset: ) to change setting to false

Also I wonder why Manjaro reverted zstd compression by default. I noticed that after fixing .pacnew mkinitcpio started to generate gzip compressed images.

Not all of the kernels available to install support zstd compression (I forget from which version it is compatible).

Since 5.9 IIRC. Makes sense for old kernels, though I don’t have anything older than latest LTS (5.15) on my machine :upside_down_face:

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Plex-htpc failed to launch

Xfce: I have five systems with Manjaro xfce. I updated one, no problems. Moved on to the next one. No problems, EXCEPT, for some reason the update installed “pipewire 1:0.3.54-1”.

None of my systems have pipewire.

I removed it, I just don’t understand why that was installed on one system and not the other.

Oh well, we’ll see what happens with the remaining three systems.

I was on track and currently using my profile by deleting/renaming the prefs.js! Just woke up and will try the suggested solution (high hopes now). Thank you for this in advance.

Hello everyone,

After today’s update, I encountered a minor issue with the python-docutils package and the Spyder IDE.
Here’s the error message when I tried to start Spyder:

pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The 'docutils<0.19,>=0.14' distribution was not found and is required by sphinx

Reverting to python-docutils-1:0.18-1 fixes this compatibility issue

I get the following warnings:

depmod: WARNING: could not open modules.builtin.modinfo at /lib/modules/4.19.251-1-MANJARO: No such file or directory

depmod: WARNING: could not open modules.builtin.modinfo at /tmp/mkinitcpio.FRmAU8/root/lib/modules/4.19.251-1-MANJARO: No such file or directory

==> WARNING: errors were encountered during the build. The image may not be complete.

How can I resolve this? Deinstall kernel 4.19?

Besides, a mkinitcpio.conf has been installed as mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew with the following line:
HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf block filesystems keyboard fsck)

My current mkinitcpio.conf has this line:
HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap filesystems fsck)

Additionally, the mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew has the following block:

# MODULES_DECOMPRESS
# Decompress kernel modules during initramfs creation.
# Enable to speedup boot process, disable to save RAM
# during early userspace. Switch (yes/no).
#MODULES_DECOMPRESS="yes"

What should I do?

That was not possible for me, because Firefox didn’t run on my profile. I had to edit the file manually like suggested before and now everything is fine and back.

It is, for sure. But Arch is still at 5.4.2 ( or at least the Arch VM I run, updated last night ) so Manjaro wouldn’t have above that

According to mkinitcpio - ArchWiki, keymap is used in HOOKS for vconsole… and from what I can tell about digging into what a “virtual console” is, they are the screens we get when we switch from tty1 to say tty4 (CTRL-ALT-F4)

So I’m confused why keymap is being removed from HOOKS when vconsoles are used pretty frequently.

1 Like

Seems like I have a problem with pipewire & pulseaudio when updating with the GUI:

Vorbereitung...
Synchronisiere Paketdatenbanken...
Abhängigkeiten werden aufgelöst...
Interne Konflikte werden überprüft...
Vorgang konnte nicht erfolgreich vorbereitet werden:
Kann Abhängigkeiten nicht erfüllen:
- das Entfernen von pulseaudio verletzt Abhängigkeit 'pulseaudio=16.1-1' benötigt von pulseaudio-jack

And when updating via CLI:

   ~  sudo pacman -Syyu                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            ✔ 
[sudo] Passwort für xyz: 
:: Paketdatenbanken werden synchronisiert …
 core                                                                                                                                          168,2 KiB   713 KiB/s 00:00 [##########################################################################################################] 100%
 extra                                                                                                                                        1867,0 KiB  9,91 MiB/s 00:00 [##########################################################################################################] 100%
 community                                                                                                                                       7,1 MiB  11,8 MiB/s 00:01 [##########################################################################################################] 100%
 multilib                                                                                                                                      177,5 KiB  6,67 MiB/s 00:00 [##########################################################################################################] 100%
:: Vollständige Systemaktualisierung wird gestartet …
Abhängigkeiten werden aufgelöst …
Nach in Konflikt stehenden Paketen wird gesucht …
:: pipewire-pulse und pulseaudio stehen miteinander in Konflikt. pulseaudio entfernen? [j/N] n
Fehler: Nicht auflösbare Paketkonflikte gefunden
Fehler: Vorgang konnte nicht vorbereitet werden (In Konflikt stehende Abhängigkeiten)
:: pipewire-pulse und pulseaudio stehen miteinander in Konflikt

Should I choose yes? Or how should I proceed?

I don’t remember when and why I have maybe manually installed pipewire or even „EasyEffects”. Maybe I need to uninstall that again?
I’m using Manjaro KDE

Ok I solved the problem. Seems like I had installed easyeffects in the past (maybe just to test it…I dont know) and this introduced the dependencies mentioned above.

Hello,

I just updated, restarted and all is good. Made sudo mkinitcpio -P restarted and all is oki.
This is my hooks line

HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap resume filesystems)

All the options are commented in the file so its not difficult to understand.
I don’t have fsck option because /usr is not in different block so I don’t need it.

Cheers…

1 Like

After the previous “kde framework” update, sometimes I can’t open zip files with the “karc://” protocol which affects both “dolphin” and “gwenview” . This update has not solved the problem.

You get a .pacnew when a configuration file supplied by a project is different to the one on your system, which unless you have made changes yourself, is the one supplied by the distro at the time of installation. The HOOKS in the .pacnew are suggestions, that’s all.

I got the same messages and now I can’t reboot anymore with all the kernels 5.x. The screen is always showing the Manjaro logo and doesn’t proceed. I didn’t change any settings. What can I do? I can only boot with kernel 4.19, for which ironically(?) the warnings during the update process appeared. This update is dangerous!

Seems to be a bug, see here. I used

vers=2.0

as a mount option to make it work again.

Just a temporary fix, though.

You’re best served to stick with 5.15, as it is an LTS kernel, and unless you have a make-or-break reason to use a later kernel, there’s no point in constantly jumping major kernel versions.

For the issue you faced and a few other reasons (such as hampering ZFS performance), I made a conscious decisions to only stick with LTS kernels.

In fact, even when the next LTS kernel lands (5.20? 5.21?), I’m going to stick with 5.15 until it’s clear that the next LTS kernel is without major regressions.

3 Likes