[Stable Update] 2022-07-12 - Kernels, Pipewire, Mesa, KDE Gear, Plasma, KDE Frameworks, Gnome, Python, Haskell

Hello community,

Another stable branch update with some usual updates for you.

Get 15% of on all our Manjaro Merch articles. Visit one of our shops: https://manjaro.myspreadshop.net

• Our Kernels got updated
  • More Gnome 42.3 packages got added
  • Plasma got updated to 5.24.6 LTS
  • KDE Frameworks is at 5.96.0
  • KDE Gear 22.04.3 got pushed to this branch
  • Pipewire is now at 0.3.54
  • Mesa got renewed to 22.1.3
  • Regular Haskell and Python updates

Additional Info

Info about AUR packages

:warning: AUR (Arch User Repository) packages are neither supported by Arch nor Manjaro. Posts about them in Announcement topics are off-topic and will be flagged, moved or removed without warning.

:information_source: You may need to rebuild any AUR packages that install files to site-packages …

Get our latest daily developer images now from Github: Plasma, GNOME, XFCE. You get the latest stable releases of Manjaro from CDN77.

Our current supported kernels

• linux419 4.19.251
  • linux54 5.4.204
  • linux510 5.10.129
  • linux515 5.15.53
  • linux517 5.17.15 (EOL)
  • linux518 5.18.10
  • linux519 5.19-rc5
  • linux515-rt 5.15.49_rt47
  • linux518-rt 5.18.0_rt11

Package Changes (Mon Jul 11 10:41:56 CEST 2022)

• stable community x86_64: 1475 new and 1459 removed package(s)
  • stable core x86_64: 32 new and 32 removed package(s)
  • stable extra x86_64: 665 new and 825 removed package(s)
  • stable kde-unstable x86_64: 405 new and 404 removed package(s)
  • stable multilib x86_64: 32 new and 32 removed package(s)

A detailed list of all changes can be found here.

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

17 Likes

Known issues and solutions

:information_source: This is a wiki post; please edit as necessary.
:star: Please, consider subscribing to the Stable Updates Announcements RSS feed

Please don’t post to say everything was great on my side or yes, I have the same error but leave the space for people having issues, or even better: for people having solutions!
Use :beer: :coffee: :heart: instead to let us know you’re suffering from the same so we can respond to the highest impacted issues first! :unicorn: :rainbow: :question:

:arrow_right: 2022-07-12

Wireplumber 0.4.11 may crash for GDM users

Currently there is an issue with 0.4.11 and GDM crashing on boot-up. More in the upstream bugtracker issue: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/wireplumber/-/issues/305

2022-06-12

Akonadi (KMail / Kontact / KOrganizer...) fails to start
touch ~/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/ib_logfile0
akonadictl start
mariadb-upgrade --defaults-file=~/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf --socket=/run/user/$(id -u)/akonadi/mysql.socket
Locale file changes

C.UTF8 locale is now included in glibc:

Credits @diabonas for this change. Systemd wants us to include C.UTF8 by default and it seems the locale may be in included by glibc upstream in the future. To fix building and avoid nasty fixing in devtools, we include the locale in the package. See systemd/systemd#23252 (comment) FS#74864 : [systemd] >= 251 breaks devtools' locale

There is a pacsave for /etc/locale.conf as it has been removed from the filesystem package. /etc/locale.conf will automatically be restored if it did not already exist.

There is a pacnew for /etc/locale.gen. Please review it and regenerate your locale if necessary.

2022-05-13

Chromium / Google Chrome cannot save files to most folders (GNOME and Xfce)

This is an upstream bug with the package xdg-desktop-portal-gnome

In the meantime, you can try to remove the package xdg-desktop-portal-gnome (if feasible, without any dependency issues or conflicts), or wait for the bug to be fixed upstream.

Without any xdg-desktop-portal-* packages, Chromium and Google Chrome should correctly detect the environment and present either KDialog (KDE) or GTK file picker (GNOME, Xfce) upon saving and downloading files.

An alternative workaround, for now, is to intentionally click on the filename field, and then press Enter to save / download the file.

GNOME 42: theming and COSMIC packages changes, Bluetooth disabled by default
libkipi: Pamac fails to build the package from AUR
  • libkipi is a deprecated dependency for some KDE applications, and has been moved to AUR.
  • When using Pamac graphically, you can disable the update for libkipi, before removing it from your system.
  • When using Pamac from the terminal, you can proceed the update in multiple steps:
pamac upgrade --no-aur
pamac remove libkipi
pamac upgrade --aur
Timeshift: new rsync snapshots do not show
Wine: cannot be built locally

2022-05-10

QEMU >= 7.0.0 changes split package setup

2022-05-09 - David Runge

With the update to qemu 7.0.0 the package has been turned into a more fine grained split package utilizing meta packages.

• The qemu package is now virtually provided by the meta packages qemu-base, qemu-desktop and qemu-full.
  • The functionality of qemu prior to 7.0.0 is replaced by qemu-desktop
  • The functionality of qemu-headless is replaced by qemu-base
  • The functionality of qemu-arch-extra and qemu-headless-arch-extra is replaced by qemu-emulators-full
  • The meta package qemu-full provides all QEMU related packages (excluding qemu-guest-agent)

2022-04-15

KeePassXC auto-type does not work

Upgrading KeePassXC from version 2.6.6 to 2.7.0 partially breaks the “auto-type” function. This is fixed upstream in version 2.7.1.

In in the meantime, to have it behave (and work) as it did with version 2.6.6, change the following option:

Tools → Settings → General → Auto-Type → uncheck “Always ask before performing Auto-Type”

Version 2.7.1, which did not make it into this batch of Stable Updates, works correctly, even with the above option enabled.

Desktop Icons (DING) Gnome extention and File Previews stop working due to a crash in sushi.

This has been fixed upstream in sushi version 41.2. To restore functionality you can manually upgrade.

sudo pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/s/sushi/sushi-41.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

2022-03-14

Cannot mix incompatible Qt library (5.15.2) with this library (5.15.3)
  • Check the mirror you use is up to date:
sudo pacman-mirrors -f 5 && sudo pacman -Syyu 
  • If you use qt5-styleplugins (AUR), rebuild or remove it:
pamac build qt5-styleplugins
DSL/PPPoE may require downgrading 2 packages

First please check if new bugfix version 1.36.2-1.0 of NetworkManager improves things.

If it does not, downgrade to 1.34.0 (and restart network manager after) :

sudo pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/l/libnm/libnm-1.34.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/n/networkmanager/networkmanager-1.34.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

Bug report: FS#73948 - networkmanager 1.36.0 breaks DSL connection

Older dicussion: my-internet-connection-is-no-longer-working

mangohud (AUR) prevents Wine/Proton applications from starting
  • Consider disabling the mangohud overlay until the bug is fixed upstream.
VPN via L2TP might not work anymore

See FS#74089 - networkmanager 1.36 breaks vpn with networkmanager-l2tp

You may need to downgrade to 1.34.0:

sudo pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/l/libnm/libnm-1.34.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/n/networkmanager/networkmanager-1.34.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
4 Likes

11 posts were split to a new topic: Update Plasma to 5.24.6

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ pamac update
Preparing...
Synchronizing package databases...
unable to lock database
Failed to synchronize databases

(pamac:3764743): GLib-CRITICAL **: 10:22:34.774: g_propagate_error: assertion 'src != NULL' failed

(pamac:3764743): libsoup-CRITICAL **: 10:22:34.774: set_current_msg: assertion 'priv->state == SOUP_CONNECTION_IN_USE' failed

(pamac:3764743): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 10:22:34.774: g_object_ref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I just updated my system and now Firefox doesn’t run normal. I tried to downgrade to v101 and it gives same error:

Missing chrome or resource URL: resource://gre/modules/UpdateListener.jsm
Missing chrome or resource URL: resource://gre/modules/UpdateListener.sys.mjs

It doesn’t even run in firefox --safe-mode and gives me this:

ExceptionHandler::GenerateDump cloned child 17150
ExceptionHandler::SendContinueSignalToChild sent continue signal to child
ExceptionHandler::WaitForContinueSignal waiting for continue signal...

The only way to get Firefox to run is using a different profile with the command firefox --ProfileManager. This problem just started after I updated my system in stable branch of Manjaro. It just worked fine before update (and reboot). Some system information:

Kernel: 5.18.10-1-MANJARO
Uptime: 26 mins
Packages: 2073 (pacman)[stable], 3 (flatpak)
Shell: zsh 5.9
Resolution: 2560x1440 @ 144Hz
DE: KDE Plasma 5.24.6
WM: Qtile 0.21.1.dev46+g2a0b9179 (X11)
Theme: breeze (GruvboxColors) [Plasma], Klaus [GTK2/3/4]
Icons: breeze [Plasma], Gruvbox [GTK2/3/4]
Font: Noto Sans (12pt) [Plasma], Noto Sans (12pt) [GTK2/3/4]
Cursor: default (24px)
Terminal: kitty
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 (8) @ 3.7GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070
Memory: 1880MiB / 15949MiB (11%)
Disk (/): 179GiB / 219GiB (81%)
Locale: de_DE.UTF-8

Through websearch I found this:
mozilla-central: browser/components/BrowserGlue.jsm@e0683c733cf9569c6fde4f57852efbb2befc8740 - The file UpdateListener.jsm is listed at line 98. And this is the file: mozilla-central: toolkit/mozapps/update/UpdateListener.jsm@e0683c733cf9569c6fde4f57852efbb2befc8740 . Is it only me that broke?

1 Like

update via pamac GUI went well, however I noticed a new pacnew file was generated for mkinitcpio

Upgrading mkinitcpio (31-2 -> 31-2.0)...
/etc/mkinitcpio.conf installed as /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew.

and since mkinitcpio it is a pretty important package, I’d like to make sure I handle merging the changes to the config file properly:

Understanding the 4 changes:

1&2. The first and second change just seems to be simple syntax changes where parenthesis have become the standard as opposed to a mix between quotes and parenthesis… “” :arrow_right: ()
3. The third change brings in the parenthesis standardization as above, but also removes the keymap parameter and relocates the keyboard parameter…

A. what impacts are there to removing the keymap parameter? Is there any reason I’d want to keep it?
B. does the order of the hooks really matter? What difference did it make moving keyboard after filesystems? If I did opt to keep keymap should I move it after filesystems too?

1. Having the new #MODULES_DECOMPRESS="yes" option disabled/remmed (to me) implies a default must have been used.

A. Is it safe to assume the “default” (assuming not done before the new feature was created) was “no, do not decompress modules”?
B. And if so, would revising this line to MODULES_DECOMPRESS="no" (without the rem) in essence mean to “keep things the same”?
C. What is the recommended setting?
D. How much more ram is being used and when (i.e. during boot or during command execution); and would the average user even notice or be concerned?

expand to see diff details
$ diff /etc/mkinitcpio.conf /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew 
7c7
< MODULES=""
---
> MODULES=()
19c19
< FILES=""
---
> FILES=()
52c52
< HOOKS="base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap filesystems fsck"
---
> HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf block filesystems keyboard fsck)
67a68,73
> 
> # MODULES_DECOMPRESS
> # Decompress kernel modules during initramfs creation.
> # Enable to speedup boot process, disable to save RAM
> # during early userspace. Switch (yes/no).
> #MODULES_DECOMPRESS="yes"

What to do now after the update has been applied (with the old conf) and we’ve rebooted?

I envision two scenario’s…

1. I could $ sudo rm /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, $ sudo mv /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, then $ sudo mkinitcpio -P and reboot… but that feels lazy and doesn’t really inform me of the change or embrace the opportunity to learn something.
  2. My gut is telling me to keep the first three changes as is (after considering the response to reinserting keymap) and updating change 4 to MODULES_DECOMPRESS="no" (assuming that would mimic the original behaviour, and that yes isn’t the new feature of choice) within the pacnew file before running the commands to $ sudo rm /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, then $ sudo mv /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, then $ sudo mkinitcpio -P and reboot
5 Likes

No issues here - Firefox is great - but if you have a problem with a profile, firefox -P is enough. Just go ahead and purge/delete/burn that profile and the folder…

Create new… ‘thingsiplay’ user.
Select use the selected profile without asking at startup
Start it up.
At this point, I need to open bitwarden and/or add my bitwarden extension to get the password to sync firefox… and sign in to synchronise.

I want to fix the profile, not throw it away. The problem was right after the update, so something happened.

1 Like

I have kernel 4.19 installed:
during update a line is displayed lib/modules/4.19.251-1/modules.dep file not found.

1 Like

It’s synchronised, right? It’s way too complicated to repair.

Check if there is a dangling lockfile

I have the same issue. Numerous warnings occur when “Building image from preset”. I did confirm that I can boot using this newly created image.

( 9/21) Updating module dependencies...
depmod: WARNING: could not open modules.builtin.modinfo at /lib/modules/4.19.251-1-MANJARO: No such file or directory
(10/21) Updating linux initcpios...
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux419.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-4.19-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-4.19-x86_64.img
==> Starting build: 4.19.251-1-MANJARO
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
==> Generating module dependencies
install: cannot stat '/lib/modules/4.19.251-1-MANJARO/modules.builtin.modinfo': No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open modules.builtin.modinfo at /tmp/mkinitcpio.9o3whd/root/lib/modules/4.19.251-1-MANJARO: No such file or directory
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-4.19-x86_64.img
==> WARNING: errors were encountered during the build. The image may not be complete.
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux419.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-4.19-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-4.19-x86_64-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> Starting build: 4.19.251-1-MANJARO
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: bfa
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: qed
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: qla1280
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: qla2xxx
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
==> Generating module dependencies
install: cannot stat '/lib/modules/4.19.251-1-MANJARO/modules.builtin.modinfo': No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open modules.builtin.modinfo at /tmp/mkinitcpio.M02rTA/root/lib/modules/4.19.251-1-MANJARO: No such file or directory
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-4.19-x86_64-fallback.img
==> WARNING: errors were encountered during the build. The image may not be complete.
1 Like

In this upgrade, inside file mkinitcpio.conf, in HOOKS line systemd was replaced by udev, should apply the new change ?
mkinitcpio.conf : HOOKS=(base systemd autodetect modconf block filesystems keyboard fsck)
mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew : HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf block filesystems keyboard fsck)

1 Like

Cinnamon is still version 5.4.2, which is full of bugs. :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

I also get this error. If you go to Hamburger - Help - More troubleshooting information, then it lists there recent crashes. If you click on the crash, it’ll show some details and matched bugs on Bugzilla.

Here is the bug report it matched: 1777927 - Crash in [@ XDisplayString]: Consider blocking vdpau_drv_video.so from being loaded

Based on the report, I went to ~/.mozilla/%your_profile%/prefs.js, and set media.ffmpeg.vaapi.enabled to false. The old profile works now.

5 Likes

Hey, I do have issue with this update in regard to python-pip package…

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
(225/225) checking keys in keyring                             [----------------------------------] 100%
(225/225) checking package integrity                           [----------------------------------] 100%
(225/225) loading package files                                [----------------------------------] 100%
(225/225) checking for file conflicts                          [----------------------------------] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/commands/__pycache__/index.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/commands/index.py exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/index/__pycache__/sources.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/index/sources.py exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/locations/__init__.py exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/locations/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/locations/__pycache__/_distutils.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/locations/__pycache__/_sysconfig.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/locations/__pycache__/base.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/locations/_distutils.py exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/locations/_sysconfig.py exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/locations/base.py exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/metadata/__init__.py exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/metadata/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/metadata/__pycache__/base.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/metadata/__pycache__/pkg_resources.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/metadata/base.py exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/metadata/importlib/__init__.py exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/metadata/importlib/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/metadata/importlib/__pycache__/_compat.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/metadata/importlib/__pycache__/_dists.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/metadata/importlib/__pycache__/_envs.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/metadata/importlib/_compat.py exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/metadata/importlib/_dists.py exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/metadata/importlib/_envs.py exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/metadata/pkg_resources.py exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/operations/build/__pycache__/build_tracker.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/operations/build/__pycache__/metadata_editable.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/operations/build/__pycache__/wheel_editable.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/operations/build/build_tracker.py exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/operations/build/metadata_editable.py exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/operations/build/wheel_editable.py exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/utils/__pycache__/_log.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/utils/__pycache__/egg_link.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/utils/_log.py exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/_internal/utils/egg_link.py exists in filesystem
python-pip: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip/py.typed exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
-> error installing repo packages

Not really want to remove pip to re-install it as I have some packages already, but my version is older than the updated one :

$ pip3 -V
pip 22.1.1 from /home/roiarthurb/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip (python 3.10)

Any idea how to fix ? :hugs:

Fixed by allowing overwrite in independantly upgrading pip with this command :

sudo pacman -S python-pip --overwrite "/usr/lib/python3.10/*"

After updating and booting with Kernel 5.18.10-1, smb-mounts for my Synology NAS I did set up via systemd mounts fail.

Reverting back to Kernel 5.17.15-1 or 5.15.53-1 brings back the mounts.
As I am not a deeply technical user, I kind of struggle to figure out, what happens here … …

set media.ffmpeg.vaapi.enabled to false

This setting can also be changed using Firefox about:config
search for ‘vaapi’ and press toggle button: (or reset: ) to change setting to false

Also I wonder why Manjaro reverted zstd compression by default. I noticed that after fixing .pacnew mkinitcpio started to generate gzip compressed images.

Not all of the kernels available to install support zstd compression (I forget from which version it is compatible).