[Stable Update] 2022-05-23 - Kernels, Toolchain, NVIDIA, Mesa, KDE, Qt, Maui, LibreOffice, Plasma, Firefox, Thunderbird

did you try switching to the 5.15 kernel

1 Like

not yet, but I will try it and report backā€¦
I thought 5.17 would be nice because of the new memory feature for gaming in VMs.

Edit:
Ok, after a couple of Shutdowns and Rebootsā€¦i have no issues until now with 5.15, so i will stay with it.
I think 5.17 would be nice, but needs to mature a bit before it is stable enough for my ancient system.

1 Like

After this upgrade I canā€™t boot my PC, the monitor flashes for a while and goes to black. I can boot using fallback initramfs, then I boot again using an archlinux USB, do nothing, but after these 2 boot I can boot with default grub entry now. Strange.

Personally, Iā€™ve commented the line in /etc/environment just as the message says, like this

#QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME="qt5ct"

and thereā€™s no issue whatsoever. You can try it and see if anything breaks.

Just a heads up for those using Ansible

The update to 2.13.0 broke the ability to work with Windows systems. I would get:

UNREACHABLE! => {ā€œchangedā€: false, ā€œmsgā€: ā€œssl: HTTPSConnectionPool(host=ā€˜inventory_hostnameā€™, port=5986): Max retries exceeded with url: /wsman (Caused by NewConnectionError(ā€˜<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7ff2132ae530>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name or service not knownā€™))ā€, ā€œunreachableā€: true}

This a known bug to be fixed in 2.13.1
https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issues/77841

Some issues encountered in this update so far with me being back.
Chromium Vulnerabilities (after release):
(1326210 - chromium - An open-source project to help move the web forward. - Monorail) High CVE-2022-2007: Use after free in WebGPU. Reported by David Manouchehri on 2022-05-17
(1317673 - chromium - An open-source project to help move the web forward. - Monorail) High CVE-2022-2008: Out of bounds memory access in WebGL. Reported by khangkito - Tran Van Khang (VinCSS) on 2022-04-19
(1325298 - chromium - An open-source project to help move the web forward. - Monorail) High CVE-2022-2010: Out of bounds read in compositing. Reported by Mark Brand of Google Project Zero on 2022-05-13
(1330379 - chromium - An open-source project to help move the web forward. - Monorail) High CVE-2022-2011: Use after free in ANGLE. Reported by SeongHwan Park (SeHwa) on 2022-05-31

Fixed in 102.0.5005.115-1

The other was VLC which freezes the entire OS when playing videos and I fixed that by selecting VA-API as the video decoder using Nouveau (old and persistent problem with solution).

So far only these questions.