[Stable Update] 2022-04-15 - Kernels, Mesa, Nvidia, Budgie, PipeWire, LIbreOffice, KDE Frameworks, Wine

Ever since the update, my internet connection periodically stops working with the error “Temporary failure in name resolution”. I am connected over wifi and using kernel 5.15.32-1 LTS. Disabling and reenabling wifi temporarily resolves the issue.

As far as I know there’s no pattern to when it starts, websites just start loading very slowly and then stop altogether.

My connections are managed with the NetworkManager Applet.

Thanks for your help!

after an update my wireplumber can’t start with Failed to open module /usr/lib/wireplumber-0.4/libwireplumber-module-device-activation: /usr/lib/wireplumber-0.4/libwireplumber-module-device-activation.so: No such file or directory

The update notes say mesa is updated to 21.3.8. Looking at the pending updates on my system, mesa packages do show new version as 21.3.8, except for the lib32-mesa package which shows it will update to 22.0.0. Usually all the mesa packages have a synchronised version number. OK to go ahead with update, or will this possibly cause trouble with Steam games?

Sadly it appears a simple downgrading of sushi and/or gjs won’t solve our problems. sushi still has the same issue in the 3.38 branch, and downgrading gjs might be a bit messy due to other things that depend on it. gjs 1.72.0 is currently in the unstable branch as well as sushi 41.2 which has the issue fixed.

That error spam is a bit excessive. Disabling the Desktop Icons extension might be the way to go for the time being to avoid that mess.

I’m all ears for other solutions. Funny how you don’t realize how important the simple things are in your daily flow until they muck up.

I've decided to go ahead and upgrade sushi to 41.2 and so far so good.
 sudo pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/s/sushi/sushi-41.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
2 Likes

This option does not exist anymore. I think it in some earlier version while the driver was still in development.

This one does the trick for Zen2 based CPU’s.
Zen3 should not need this.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/pm/amd-pstate.html#kernel-module-options-for-amd-pstate

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Stable update is breaking my wireless connection

I seem to have a similar issue. In my case the system logs get filled with messages about CTRL-EVENT-BEACON-LOSS when the connection starts to break down, like this:

Apr 16 17:42:25 computer wpa_supplicant[547]: wlp6s0: CTRL-EVENT-BEACON-LOSS
Apr 16 17:42:26 computer wpa_supplicant[547]: wlp6s0: CTRL-EVENT-BEACON-LOSS
Apr 16 17:42:27 computer wpa_supplicant[547]: wlp6s0: CTRL-EVENT-BEACON-LOSS
Apr 16 17:42:28 computer wpa_supplicant[547]: wlp6s0: CTRL-EVENT-BEACON-LOSS

No network traffic while these messages are appearing. Sometimes it would recover from it on its own, I have no idea how or why, but other times it would be stuck repeating this non-stop until I reconnected it using the applet.

This happened on kernel 5.16.18-1, now I randomly booted an older kernel that happened to be 5.10.109-1 and it does not seem to have the issue.

TV (tested DBV-C + Kaffeine) with Si2168 (like in USB stick Hauppauge WinTV SoloHD) doesn’t work with kernel V5.17.3.
Kernel V5.16 no problem
si2157 7-0060: Can’t continue without a firmware.
Looks like an known regression:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=275502

Hello,

Thank you for the update. The update ran all fine only after my first reboot, the primary and secondary monitor had the wrong resolution. Did a second reboot and the monitors are fine.

The only real issue is that there is no Wifi available anymore because it says that it is hard blocked.

0: hci0: Bluetooth
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: yes

From inxi -nz

Network:
  Device-1: Qualcomm QCA6390 Wireless Network Adapter [AX500-DBS ]
    driver: ath11k_pci
  IF: wlp4s0 state: down mac: <filter>

What I tried is to do an rfkill unblock all but this has no effect. Then I rebooted to check my BIOS but WiFi is enabled there. This is a Dell XPS 9700 and it has no physical kill switch.

So I went back to the 5.16 kernel and Wifi works just fine there, so I believe it is something in the 5.17 kernel.

Running this 5.17 kernel:

Linux 5.17.1-3-MANJARO x86_64

From the kernel log when I filter on ath11 all I get is this:

16-04-2022 18:32	ath11k_pci 0000	4:00.0: BAR 0: assigned [mem 0xd2100000-0xd21fffff 64bit]
16-04-2022 18:32	ath11k_pci 0000	4:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
16-04-2022 18:32	ath11k_pci 0000	4:00.0: MSI vectors: 32
16-04-2022 18:32	ath11k_pci 0000	4:00.0: qca6390 hw2.0
16-04-2022 18:32	ath11k_pci 0000	4:00.0: chip_id 0x0 chip_family 0xb board_id 0xff soc_id 0xffffffff
16-04-2022 18:32	ath11k_pci 0000	4:00.0: fw_version 0x101c06cc fw_build_timestamp 2020-06-24 19:50 fw_build_id
16-04-2022 18:32	ath11k_pci 0000	4:00.0 wlp4s0: renamed from wlan0

For now I will use the 5.16 kernel when I need Wifi.

Excellent, thank you! Sushi works & DING errors stopped.
I could not manage without these two. :cold_sweat:

There is no Fn switch, such as Fn + F1?

You might be better off sticking with 5.15 LTS kernel, as I am finding the least amount of headache with it, plus there isn’t as much of an urgency to jump kernel versions before they become EOL if you switch with the LTS iterations.

Apologies, I forgot to mention. I did look into that as well but I could not find an Fn switch either. The Fn + F1 is sund off and Fn + F2 is turn volume up.

I have been running the 5.16 kernel since it came out without a problem. When a new kernel comes out I like to try it out and if it works, it works but in this case not so much :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Same here. This is due to the binary mismatch with package adios2. It seems the upstream package has already fixed the problem. Hopefully Manjaro will update this soon.

2 Likes

Understood, but you also have to ask yourself why you even need the next kernel release? (Especially non-LTS ones that have short lifespans.)

Sometimes regressions are not in plain sight, in which you might think everything is fine with the kernel and your hardware, but other sporadic or unexplained issues arise in which you blame this-or-that package or application.

I wasn’t sure in this update when noticed the replacement from ‘nodejs’ to ‘nodejs-lts-gallium’. I’m not good Linux user and this change put me on the possible alert, but anyway everything works smooth and fine.

Well for this update, 5.16.18 appears to have fix for this p3 message:
kernel: Spectre V2 : WARNING: Unprivileged eBPF is enabled with eIBRS on, data leaks possible via Spectre v2 BHB attacks!

But 5.15 LTS doesn’t. (I haven’t tried 5.17).

I downgraded linux515 from 5.15.32-1 to 5.15.28-1. Now I haven`t problem.

wine changed russian language to English. My *.exe programs wasnt run with correct fonts. I downgraded version of wine. (running command with env LC_ALL=ru_UA.UTF-8 didnt solve the problem)

A package you have installed now has different dependencies than before. Check and see what requires nodejs-lts-gallium:

pacman -Qi nodejs-lts-gallium | grep 'Required By\|Optional For'
2 Likes

I got it fixed myself with this solution:
https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/solved-bluetooth-dont-discovers-device-bluetoothctl-no-default-controller/90699/20

1 Like

I’ve got this message:

Replace crda with core/wireless-regdb? [Y/n]

Should I confirm it?