[Stable Update] 2022-02-14 - Kernels, Haskell, Cutefish 0.7, Deepin, Firefox, Maui 2.1.1, Systemd

After the update and upon reboot it appeared that kernel 5.15 became corrupted. System would complain of not loading a kernel first.

Was able to resolve by simply booting into another installed kernel and removing/replacing kernel 5.15, but I am curious if there is any insight on what might have happened.

This update has changed my plaintext (monospace) font in Thunderbird, especially the lowercase letters i, j, l, r (and I think t) now look ugly because they appear with serifs while the other letters are without serifs. I checked Preferences → General → Language & Appearance → Advanced and observed that Noto Sans Mono is adjusted for Monospace. In my opinion, Noto Sans Mono doesn’t deserve the name Sans.

My question is: How can I change the font back? Which font did I have before? Unfortunately, choosing another font from the list doesn’t change anything. Why does this update automatically mess up with fonts?

The solution to your problem can be found earlier in this thread. :arrow_heading_up:

1 Like

Thank you very much! It worked for me. In DejaVu Sans Mono, the letters i, j, l are with serifs too (l different), but the r looks normal, what bothered me most about Noto Sans Mono.

Was unable to update at first because of the conflict of manjaro-pipewire and pipewire-alsa. Removed manjaro-pipewire, update went smooth, but I am still unable to install manjaro-pipewire back. I didn’t copy the error message from the first try, but it was quite similar.

$ sudo pacman -S manjaro-pipewire                                                                                                                                                    
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: manjaro-pipewire and pipewire-alsa are in conflict (pulseaudio-alsa). Remove pipewire-alsa? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'pipewire-alsa' required by manjaro-pipewire
:: removing pipewire-alsa breaks dependency 'pulseaudio-alsa' required by gnome-settings-daemon

The problem as I see it, is that pipewire-alsa (dependency of manjaro-pipewire) provides pulseaudio-alsa, which is stated to be in conflict with manjaro-pipewire.
I guess, as mainjaro-pipewire is a meta-package it’s not a big deal, all of its dependencies are still installed, but anyway this better be fixed.

sudo pacman -Ru --nodeps pulseaudio pulseaudio-equalizer pulseaudio-jack pulseaudio-lirc pulseaudio-rtp pulseaudio-zeroconf pulseaudio-bluetooth pulseaudio-pa pulseaudio-alsa pulseaudio-ctl manjaro-pulse && sudo pacman -S manjaro-pipewire

…is you need to refresh your mirrors and update to manjaro-pipewire 20220217-2. :wink:

1 Like

Have you tried using pamac instead of pacman ?
Recent comments about issues due to pipewire dependencies all seem to be from use of pacman
Pamac might not be able to manage the dependency problems with a Manjaro metapackage better, but would at least give a 2nd perspective on the issue

Whenever you are using the default configuration, don’t act surprised when it changes.

Are you able to share any guides on how to get off “default configuration”? New/vanilla users don’t know what they don’t know, so if there aren’t any friendly guides they could be reading to get a toe-hold on personalizing/configing the 100’s of packages that make up a distro, then any “update surprises” they find should be expected to generate questions.

New/vanilla users don’t “act surprised”… they “are surprised” when something that was working great suddenly does not.

3 Likes

@Daniel-I

I don’t know which desktop environment you are using, but it probably isn’t the one I am using (Openbox, which is not a desktop environment precisely but can be coaxed to act a little like one).

But the first thing I would do would be to look in system settings to see if you can save your current setup as a theme, either as one single global theme or as parts of themes in each ‘appearance’ or ‘look and feel’ preference pane.

On my system, I can save a global theme. Even if I have not changed anything from the defaults, it will save those defaults as a custom theme that won’t be overwritten by updates.

Probably good to make note of which font(s) you use, in case a later update says it/they have been removed from the repos and asks if you want to replace with something else. Old fonts are generally pretty safe to keep around, although you might want to put them in ~/.local/share/fonts/ so they are out of the system files.

Other than that, maybe do a search for customizing your desktop environment (KDE/Gnome/XFCE, etc). GUI preference panes are just overwriting config files, usually in your user directory. Myself, I can get lost in preferences/configs for days, but YMMV.

Thank You So Much!!

Couldn’t find what was the issue.

1 Like
  1. mpv plays audio very silently. bomi and firefox sound is fine.
ALSA lib pcm_pulse.c:758:(pulse_prepare) PulseAudio: Unable to create stream: Input/Output error

[ao/alsa] Unable to set hw-parameters: Input/output error
[ao/alsa] Attempting to work around even more ALSA bugs...                                                                    
ALSA lib pcm_pulse.c:758:(pulse_prepare) PulseAudio: Unable to create stream: Input/Output error                              

[ao/alsa] Unable to set hw-parameters: Input/output error
  1. plasma doesn’t hang but stops updating panels. I’ve noticed at first because clock freezed but all icons were freezing.
  2. dolphin and some other programs don’t remember the last size and place but apparently some do such as konsole(although it has different set of worms if it was maximized you can’t easily unmaximize it)

New plasma update fixed dolphin right click for me in wayland session.

This is a Wayland bug - fixed I think, look on KDE. Switch to X11 to avoid for now.

System Settings/Window Management/Window Behaviour/Advanced
Tick “Allow apps to remember the positions of their own windows, if they support it”

Thanks. In wayland session there is no “Allow apps to remember the positions of their own windows, if they support it” however in X11 there is.
It remembered previously under wayland. The way the fix/break stuff wayland future won’t come for quite some time.

I’ve downgraded pipewire packages from 0.3.45 to 0.3.40, wireplumber and installed jack2 because some applications wanted it and audio works in mpv as it should.

Latest at-3.2.4-1 no longer runs scheduled jobs.

There is mention of this bug at archlinux bbs.

The arch user downgraded to at-3.2.2-1 to fix the problem

I have done this and at jobs are now running as scheduled again.

I did also attempt to use debian bug reporting, but had no success in doing so. I did notice at debian that there is an at-3.2.5 in their testing pipeline, but I could not find this bug mentioned there.

Update 2022/03/02:

Fix noted at archlinux bbs.

at-3.2.5-1 fixes this problem, currently in Unstable.

Since the update, all my flatpaks take about 30 seconds to launch (they use to take 1-2 seconds). AppImages work fine. All apps are installed on a Samsung EVO 970 Plus NVMe SSD - so very fast.

Any ideas what is going on?

This update seems to have killed bluetooth / blueman for Intel AX200

from inxi:
Bluetooth: Device-1: Intel AX200 Bluetooth type: USB driver: btusb v: 0.8 bus-ID: 1-4:3 chip-ID: 8087:0029
           class-ID: e001
           Report: bt-adapter ID: hci0 rfk-id: 0 state: up address: N/A

   ~  blueman-manager                                                                                ✔ 
blueman-manager 22.20.43 ERROR    Manager:137 on_dbus_name_appeared: Default adapter not found, trying first available.
blueman-manager 22.20.43 ERROR    Manager:141 on_dbus_name_appeared: No adapter(s) found, exiting
    ~  blueman-adapters                                                                               ✔ 
blueman-adapters 22.31.26 ERROR    Adapter:54 __init__  : No adapter(s) found
    ~  bluetoothctl list                                                                              ✔ 
    ~  bluetoothctl show                                                                              ✔ 
No default controller available

So basically bluetooth devices can’t connect.
And it seems I might not be the only one with ax200 problems with recent kernel/firmware/ucode updates – FS#73387 : [linux-firmware] Intel AX210 iwlwifi broken on kernel and firmware upgrade