[Stable Update] 2022-01-23 - OpenSearch, Kernels, KDE Software, Cinnamon, Pipewire, Mesa, Gnome, LibreOffice

Google Drive KIO in dolphin doesn’t work anymore.

Telegram has render issues (all text & icons are pixelated, also the bottom line is corrupted showing the window below it)

3 Likes

Maybe run the update command a second time. I did that after 5 minutes update process and then I got prompted to remove end-of-life stuff from Branch 18.08. Hopefully I did not remove something important.

$ flatpak update
Info: org.freedesktop.Platform//18.08 is end-of-life, with reason:
The Freedesktop SDK 18.08 runtime is no longer supported as of 31th August 2020. Please ask your application developer to migrate to a supported platform.
Info: org.freedesktop.Platform.html5-codecs//18.08 is end-of-life, with reason:
The Freedesktop SDK 18.08 runtime is no longer supported as of 31th August 2020. Please ask your application developer to migrate to a supported platform.

ID                                              Branch          Op
1. [-] org.freedesktop.Platform.Locale                 18.08           r
2. [-] org.freedesktop.Platform.html5-codecs           18.08           r
3. [-] org.freedesktop.Platform                        18.08           r

Uninstall complete.

You mean this is actually an unedited screenshot? If yes, then that’s hilarious, but also sucks.

2 Likes

[SOLVED] I had the following error:
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing nvidia-utils (495.46-3) breaks dependency ‘nvidia-utils=495.44’ required by linux513-nvidia

Solved this by removing Kernel 5.13.x from my system (it was installed but not running) from Settings → Kernel.

Ran update again and no error this time.

KDE desktop icons not shown, if the image file is an SVG; it’s OK if the image is an PNG.

LOL The messages are edited
the rest are not

1 Like

Also the flatpak version doesn’t have this issue

I get this conflict:

:: Replace hwids with core/hwdata? [Y/n] 
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing hwids breaks dependency 'hwids' required by linux-driver-management

And that’s actually an understatement, because hwids is (directly or indirectly) required by 1400 packages, removing it would break kwin, lightdm, linux510, plasma-desktop, systemd and much more, so it’s not like I could just uninstall or fix one or a few affected packages.

Should I just reply “no”? Would the update still go through normally? But then it would prompt the same thing next time, right?

There is a known issue with Asus Laptops (on multiple distros) where the built-in keyboard is unresponsive in initramfs when cold booting - such that if you have an encrypted root you cannot type in your password.

The solution on Arch based distros was to add i8042 to the MODULES section & move up keyboard keymap in the HOOKS section of mkinitcpio.conf.

After this update, the solution has stopped working & the keyboard is again unresponsive - but only if cold booting. Rebooting is perfectly fine.

Anyone else with an Asus Laptop have a similar experience, or is it just me?

::Edit:: Nevermind, user error. Fixed it. The solution still works.

@philm is the latest packager of linux-driver-management.
Is this still needed on your system?

$ pactree -r linux-driver-management

Try to remove if not.
The move to hwdata is inevitable: that package needs fixing or removal.

Alternative command for people who don’t want to install some weird helpers but use good old pamac
pamac build $(pacman -Qoq /usr/lib/python3.9) --no-confirm

4 Likes

Testing Update discussion suggests installing qbittorrent-qt5 from AUR

[Testing Update] 2022-01-17 - OpenSearch, Kernels, KDE, Cinnamon, Pipewire, Mesa - #51 by michaldybczak
qbittorrent-qt5 is compiled and installed. Works and looks fine. I guess this is the best solution for now

1 Like

I just upgraded and my Telegram app has no issues at all, running on AMD APU (amdgpu). try changing system theme…

With Qt applications progressively migrating to Qt6, i find myself using a mix of Qt5 applications (QuiteRSS, BackInTime) and Qt6 applications (QBittorrent). Currently, i can’t find a way to apply GTK2 style to everything (qt6gtk2 and qt6ct don’t seem backwards compatible). Have anyone resolved this?

Just spotted those. It seems QBittorrent is just being too ahead… :grin:

The same thing happened to me, for the moment until they tell me how to proceed I use this:
go to preferences
use custom iu theme > set downloaded theme

PD:solved by:frost19k

A couple of updates ago there were notifications at the end to add these lines to your /etc/environment file.

QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=1
QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=gnome
QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=kvantum

You also need to comment out the line #QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct

This should fix it - or at least it did on mine.

2 Likes

Still having the same issue with systemd-homed using a dedicated disk / RAID1 so I moved my two machines to using an encrypted home image file instead for now until the issue I had already with previous update is resolved. The issue in question:
FS#73208 - Systemd-homed fails with systemd-250

In addition to that one, no issues for me with the update thus far.

X - Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

My webcam does not work with the current 5.X kernels. Under Opensuse Thumbleweed with 5.16.1 the webcam works.

Alot of comments on that issue state, that re-creating the home with current systemd seems to work (raid isn’t even mentioned) - did you try that?