[Stable Update] 2021-12-10 - Kernels, Systemd, LibreOffice, Plasma, Browser, Thunderbird

Thanks, that helped it. Just noticed that my lock screen is still looking off from it’s colors like the login prompt was.

Edit: That got fixed by just reapplying the lock screen theme.

Edit #2: My issues are all fixed now (on my main laptop at least). Thanks everyone for helping. Rest of my installs (2 other machines) should have quite similar setups, so I don’t expect very different issues on those, except ZFS on one but that is always an issue if I try to update the kernel too quickly.

Got kernel panic on a stable channel, 5.10 LTS kernel Plasma installation.
I had to chroot into the installation and re-install linux510 to make it work again.

Is it me or Manjaro stable updates are getting buggier with every new release?

1 Like

Mm i thought the same, the list with issues is growing rapidly.
This is only my thoughts though, i use the cinnamon version and have no problems sofar but i haven’t installed this updates jet.

Edit: Just installed the updates, all mint-y-dark themes are missing! They can’t be selected anymore
Why is this happening?

Nothing’s wrong. Just habit you know :rofl:

No problem.

It’s not really problems, but only a change of the KDE desktop decorations. Then you just have to use your head a bit and make some settings/adjustments and everything is good again. I myself had almost no problems with this update since I now update with pamac in the console, since it is recommended as far as I know.

Kind regards SchulzX777

I am not sure, but low possibility of kernel-alive package suspected here (discussion Please use kernel-modules-hook instead of kernel-alive! and it is not a suggestion to switch, for now it is a try to find relations only).
Just to collect statistics, please post your complete output of:

pacman -Qi kernel-alive kernel-modules-hook | grep "Version"

one issue here, I think it started from the previous update (I guess it’s fine to post it here)…
it’s a window (re)drawing problem of a sort, as I could tell

• KDE (I also run XFCE, works fine, so only on KDE)

• firefox

• 4K monitor if any relevance (HDMI, I think 1060 card if not mistaking, graphics wise all working fine).

• and since it’s 4K I have scaling on (something at 225%)

• I keep FF maximized (without the titlebar, just tabs)

• once I close/quit the FF and restart - it draws the window as in non-maximized (restored) mode - but funny thing is it doesn’t react on mouse at all - I’ve figured out that the window is actually maximized (i.e. if I click blindly at the top I can restore it) but shows like restored, i.e. it’s totally screwed (visuals vs mouse coordinates is out of sync). The way out of it is to r-click on the icon, more actions, get it out of max-mode and then it starts working normally.
    (I don’t think this is scaling issue, as win size is not like 1/2 or 1/4 or anything like that it’s just slightly smaller restored/non-maximized)

Anyone else seen this?
It’s no big problem, but it is a bit ugly,

thanks guys for all the work

I find it quite unacceptable that the default settings in the user space were changed with an update, i.e., attempting to change the shell to Zsh along with other settings in Konsole.

Next fun bit that I now noticed. pamac gui does not use a dark theme even though I have the dark theme enabled in KDE quick settings.

And if I switch to a light theme, pamac gui is dark… interesting :thinking:

Also switching back and forth the setting, pamac gui always comes up as reverse of the setting.

The workaround provided by ghostwind to change zsh to bash is great (thanks!), but I’m still experiencing the root permission issue when trying to modify the color scheme in konsole.

After you have selected a desktop decoration, in this case the dark one, try it out, restart your PC and everything should be applied. So go to System Preferences, Startup and Shutdown, Login Screen (SDDM) and then click on “Apply Plasma Settings…”. This is how I always did it after setting up my desktop to my liking.

1 Like

Just choose a different name for it while editing, then it will be saved as user Profile and you will be able to change it as you wish.

1 Like

I also noticed some changes in the Cinnamon Mint-Y-Dark themes. My workaround was to copy the old working themes from another non updated install from /usr/share/themes (looks I used Mint-Y-Dark-Teal and Mint-Y-Dark) and copy these to my local .theme directory, change the directory name to a new name and edit the settings file index.theme with the new name (Name, GtkTheme, and MetacityTheme). Hope this helpful and not incorrect, I am sure there are better solutions :slight_smile:

Those were not user settings. Default settings are changed only. If you were using default settings (i.e. default profile and so on) you’ll have new defaults. Custom configurations are not affected as far as I can tell.

2 Likes

Well, after doing the “Apply Plasma Settings…” my pamac is okay again but my SDDM login is that overbright view again.

1 Like

No idea what’s going on there, just reset it again. I don’t have the problem with the SDDM for example. I am sure this will be fixed shortly. As long as everything else works normally, it’s ok…

Remove /var/lib/sddm/.config/kdeglobals and sync again. Maybe something is cached or idk.

Same issue, but it’s been around for a very long time in my experience. Just an annoyance. I think it has to do with 4K and scaling as I have the same setup, but scale to 200% on my HTPC. Firefox on startup opens maximized with weird miss drawn screen. I just click at the top to unmaximize then remaximize.

The same still, my SDDM login screen is oversaturated but once logged in, everything is fine.

Confirm you are running 21.2.0-1 plasma5-themes-breath.