[Stable Update] 2021-10-16 - Haskell, Python, KDE Gear, KDE Framework, Thunderbird

Xfce, Kernel 4.14: with this system update all went fine as usual, except for the fact that still remains the problem with lightdm; I 've tried again to change the kernel, reinstall lightdm from scratch, but no solution.

We are still looking into the following issue. As soon as we have a solution we will push it to all branches: Hangs on file conflicts checking (#1138) · Issues · Applications / pamac · GitLab

For the link posted from kde.org:
2 of the ‘reasons’ stated are vague and meaningless, Another 2 of those ‘reasons’ are specious:

Manjaro had issues with forum website SSL certificate in 2015 and 2016, so not recent

The community treasurer resigned following a dispute about releasing funds that should not have subsequently been made public on anti-social media

OP later admits that the final allegation about missing debug symbols is an Arch thing

OP later comment states having made no attempt to contact Manjaro about these allegations

Does KDE have a code of conduct?

1 Like

Any reason why the downloads webpage is not updated?

1 Like

Hi, Chris!

Again, question is not to me, I do not know what plans are, but my hyper-activity here only.

Perhaps with the Hangs on file conflicts checking (#1138) · Issues · Applications / pamac · GitLab unresolved we are currently in the half state: ISOs made yesterday contains not a fully-fixed (that 1138 side-effect was found by Phil) pamac: w/ fixed AUR, but local package installation at least of special package is broken.

So possible Manjaro Team plan is: to resolve that high priority lack, to build new ISOs (21.1.6.1 or 21.1.7) with fixed pamac and to share it by all channels.

My non-authoritative suggestion is to monitor the mentioned issue state and to wait official answer or news.

2 Likes

12 posts were split to a new topic: Les miroirs français

Have you actually read what is written? KDE team just doesn’t want to waste their time with bad bug reports and I can understand them. This would require rebuilding all packages with !strip in PKGBUILDs I believe,

2 Likes

Does KDE have a code of conduct?

I suggest keeping the ball down a bit … I find the discussion over there relatively moderate, in particular from Nate’s side; he also undid the merge that would remove Manjaro from the recommended list (and flagged the one forcing the merge …). It’s a KDE discussion and in the end it’s clear where the problems lie, the custom Breeze Theme apparently, the Manjaro-tools integration into Plasma’s control center and missing debug symbols that render bug reports borderline useless. And the fact that Manjaro breaks sometimes, which is not a totally new or unsurprising thing. As it seems, contact between KDE and Manjaro has been established and first things of this list are resolved.

For me this looks like a prime case of “getting it together” from both sides and I very much appreciate that. :green_heart: :blue_heart:

7 Likes

I got a small issue, but running sudo pacman-mirrors -c Germany before upgrading worked for me. Probably not all mirrors haven’t seeded this update yet.

1 Like

It seems that after this update all widgets are gone from my desktop. One of them - “sticky note” - had a plenty of data on it… Not so critical but please take it into account :blush:

After this update, google-chrome does not load.

I removed ~/.config/google-chrome and ~/.cache/google-chrome. Then, it works but when I login into my google account the browser crashes after 5 seconds and goes into not-responding mode! I’ve also tried --disable-gpu and --disable-software-rasterizer switches but they didn’t help.

When I use strace to follow system calls it get stuck in the following line:
futex(0x560a482d80e0, FUTEX_WAIT_PRIVATE, 2, NULL

Any suggestion are welcome.

1 Like

I agree the discussion is only moderately offensive compared to other comments elsewhere

But I do not recall other comments being linked to a Manjaro release announcement

The 2 incorrect allegations are not KDE-specific and could be deemed insulting/defamatory to the Manjaro community

IMO those comments appear to be strategic equivocation that is counterproductive to, and distracting from, the core KDE issues

If the off-topic comments about Manjaro community were removed I would have no further interest in the KDE-specific issues

1 Like

… and weren’t pursued further in the discussion …

If I were to open a website against fake news (let’s call it: “What the fact!”) I could list the original post from over there. But I could as well get a package of sugar and travel to the Atlantic trying to make a sweet water out of it, no?

I think there is one good thing that we can learn from politicians: if it does not escalate, ignore it. :wink:

2 Likes

After upgrading I can not start Openshot. If I try to start it from a terminal I get the following message ( I use MATE Desktop)

openshot-qt %F or /usr/bin/openshot-qt

Loaded modules from: /usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/openshot_qt
INFO app: ------------------------------------------------
INFO app:             Tue Oct 19 09:11:22 2021            
INFO app:               Starting new session              
ERROR app: OpenShotApp::Import Error
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/openshot_qt/classes/app.py", line 99, in __init__
    from classes import settings, project_data, updates
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/openshot_qt/classes/project_data.py", line 48, in <module>
    import openshot
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/openshot.py", line 15, in <module>
    import _openshot
ImportError: /usr/lib/libopenshot.so.21: undefined symbol: _ZN2cv3dnn14dnn4_v202106083Net20setPreferableBackendEi
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/openshot-qt", line 33, in <module>
    sys.exit(load_entry_point('openshot-qt==2.6.1', 'gui_scripts', 'openshot-qt')())
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/openshot_qt/launch.py", line 186, in main
    app = OpenShotApp(argv)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/openshot_qt/classes/app.py", line 99, in __init__
    from classes import settings, project_data, updates
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/openshot_qt/classes/project_data.py", line 48, in <module>
    import openshot
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/openshot.py", line 15, in <module>
    import _openshot
ImportError: /usr/lib/libopenshot.so.21: undefined symbol: _ZN2cv3dnn14dnn4_v202106083Net20setPreferableBackendEi
INFO app:             OpenShot's session ended            
INFO app:             Tue Oct 19 09:11:22 2021            
INFO app: ================================================
1 Like

Bug in kio-extras. Fixed-in: 21.08.3

Bug 443983 - khelpcenter man:btrfs-replace(8)

SUMMARY

error in opening man page

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1. open Help
  2. type “btrfs-replace” in search field and press enter
  3. go to page “man:btrfs-replace(8)”

OBSERVED RESULT

Error dialog box

EXPECTED RESULT

man page

SOFTWARE/OS VERSIONS
Windows:
macOS:
Linux/KDE Plasma:
(available in About System)
KDE Plasma Version: 5.22.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.87.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

2 Likes

I switched today from 5.10 LTSC to 5.14 stable branch and get a new error from journalctl -p 3 -xb:

-- Journal begins at Wed 2021-04-28 04:57:37 CEST, ends at Tue 2021-10-19 22:04:51 CEST. --
Oct 19 22:03:22 koboldx-z170 kernel: x86/cpu: SGX disabled by BIOS.

Anyone know what that means?

Other than one minor issue, went well, didn’t notice anything. Unlike last time, the 5.13 kernel wasn’t forced, so I ended up still running 5.10 (which I want, because otherwise I seem to lose sound).

The minor issue: Just like after the previous update, when I click Sleep in the Application Launcher, I don’t see the confirmation menu which I still see when I want to restart. The computer goes directly to sleep.

there is an issue with firefox and kde after the latest update. while using several opened windows/instances of firefox it appears that frequently one window gets transparent and does not respond anymore. i can close all other instances but this one will stay on, its not shown up if i search with ‘ps -ax | grep fire*’ in the console, so i get no pid to kill it.

KDE Plasma Version: 5.22.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.87.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.14.10-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i5-8300H CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 31.2 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2   ```

Everything went smoothly, but somethings happened to SSL certificates, and now filezilla won’t connect to any servers.
Error: Failed to extract certificate trust path
I tried some linux guides but I need manjaro specific…any help please?

I have no experience with this, but I did find this online - https://www.tenforums.com/antivirus-firewalls-system-security/101389-sgx-setting-choose-bios.html

Maybe the new kernel is just reporting this feature’s (SGX) status now. Just a guess on my part.

1 Like