[Stable Update] 2021-07-23 - Kernels, Nvidia, Mesa, Wine, Firefox, Thunderbird, Virtualbox

Noticed screen-tearing at random places in the top half part of the screen after the update. Set the Compositor rendering backend to OpenGL 3.1. Now works fine.

Other Settings:
Scale method: Smooth
Latency: Balance of Latency and Smoothness
Tearing prevention (“vsync”): Automatic

1 Like

This is no offense at you personally, but this “FIX” is ridiculous. That can not surely be right, can it? What are the KDE devs smoking?

EDIT: I did not encounter the issue personally, so all is well.

Is there any idea how I can solve Libusb issue since last update with kernel 5.13 ? Manjaro wants me to install the broken version of libusb, how can i exclude it from the Kernel update? The Kernel 5.12 has reached its end of life and I can’t switch the Kernel right now. Before this Manjaro update, I could change and update the Kernel with mhwd, but now it requires me to update libusb. Which I am not going to do, because it is broken. (links in the post)

Issue:

I installed Manjaro on Samsung Portable SSD T5. The SSD is connect to iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) according USB3.1 Gen 2 interface. After update, The system unable to boot (kernel 5.4, 5.10).

lsusb didn’t show the Portable SSD:

# lsusb
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0781:5581 SanDisk Corp. Ultra
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05ac:026c Apple, Inc. Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05ac:8511 Apple, Inc. FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

But lsusb -v can found:

# lsusb -v
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04e8:61f5 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd Portable SSD T5
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0781:5581 SanDisk Corp. Ultra
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05ac:026c Apple, Inc. Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05ac:8511 Apple, Inc. FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

The issue was found on from the stable-update-2021-06-14. Till current update, the issue still not resolved.

A post was split to a new topic: System refuses to reboot or shutdown sometimes

Please read this:

Especially this bit:

:innocent:

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Systemd: Freezing execution

Then open a support thread instead of requesting help in the Announcement thread.

Just before doing the updates on TTY did usual Timeshift and Backintime backups just had to post and say Manjaro is getting very cool never noticed before today at the bottom of TTY page the Totals with a item in each column, very cool looking.
Almost like a timer to make a cup of coffee :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
I’m using KDE and there’s small irritations with PCie errors + journald high cpu usage + one of the three kernels installed freezing up the computer completely so over the next four to ?? days the plan is to remedy these things, now how I fix these do you want I post my solutions ? and if so where is the best place in tutorials or KDE where is best place or ?
Will only post when proven to me that these will work and work properly for a few days.
Thanks.

1 Like

For Mozilla Firefox (KDE) User that missed the old GTK Scrollbar since the last stable release and want it back, check this out:

1 Like

I don’t see why 5.13 would need the new libusb, regardless of what mhwd reports. I would do as Fabby suggested in the thread you linked:

And remember to have a fully functional backup of your current state, just in case.

1 Like

Sounds like a bug in mhwd to me then. I followed the recommendation to unignore-update-ignore procedure. But I think this shouldn’t be necessary. I could change the Kernel now and everything is fine now.

I had, this the link:

Holding off the update until there are somewhat less issues…
(feeling somewhat uncertain…)
(post made to get follow-ups)

I don’t know why you’ve decided I need a basics lesson, I have been using linux since ~2007.

By “the devs” I’ve meant the KDE team. I know what upstream is.

1 Like

Kernel 513 and latest Nvidia drivers seem to do not like each other. After the update, my external display did not work. Switched back to 512, everythings fine.

1 Like

mhwd-kernel only hints that some packages have upgrades available but it’s not required to go through with it

you can typically bypass the nagging by answering the prompt accordingly

After the update, when opening a terminal, I get

opam: too many arguments, don't know what to do with `^', `/dev/null'
Usage: opam env [OPTION]... 
Try `opam env --help' or `opam --help' for more information.
~ $

EDIT: Not just when I open a terminal. Also after any command is run.

EDIT2: I “fixed” it by removing ~/.opam/opam-init/env_hook.fish

1 Like

As said before, it required it. There was no prompt. When tried to install the Kernel with mhwd, I got just the answer that the system needs an update with the hint to libusb. And that’s it. mhwd ends there and I can’t do anything.

Edit: I just tried it again now, and now I get the prompt. But I didn’t got it before!! Otherwise I would not create this discussion here for no reason. This prompt is new or there was bug where the prompt didn’t appear.

Lovely!

[quote="[HowTo] become a Manjaro power user when you’re a wizard at Windows but a N00b at Manjaro / Linux, post:1, topic:13646"]
Why can’t I make Windows jump through fiery hoops like I do with Linux???
[/quote]

Escpecially this :grin:

1 Like