[Stable Update] 2021-07-23 - Kernels, Nvidia, Mesa, Wine, Firefox, Thunderbird, Virtualbox

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: How to manage a rolling release from a user perspective

If you meant the GPU-freezes: Nope.

1 Like

Why do I always have to think of Albert Einstein?

3 Likes

After updating:

steam
Running Steam on manjarolinux 21.1.0 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Steam runtime environment up-to-date!
Error: You are missing the following 32-bit libraries, and Steam may not run:
libc.so.6
Steam client's requirements are satisfied
WARNING: Using default/fallback debugger launch
/home/ryan/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam

I have already attempted to sudo pacman -S lib32-glibc

Using a 3090, mhwd -li output:

> Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
          video-nvidia            2020.11.30               false            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!

nvidia-smi:

Sat Jul 24 02:47:34 2021       
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 470.57.02    Driver Version: 470.57.02    CUDA Version: 11.4     |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                               |                      |               MIG M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  NVIDIA GeForce ...  Off  | 00000000:09:00.0  On |                  N/A |
|  0%   49C    P8    35W / 350W |    367MiB / 24265MiB |      5%      Default |
|                               |                      |                  N/A |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                                  |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                  GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                   Usage      |
|=============================================================================|
|    0   N/A  N/A      1639      G   /usr/lib/Xorg                     229MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A      4025      G   /usr/bin/kwin_x11                   4MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A      4091      G   /usr/bin/plasmashell               64MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A      4184      G   /usr/bin/nvidia-settings            0MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A      5912      G   ...AAAAAAAAA= --shared-files       60MiB |

edit: Not sure what happened, but if someone finds this via google some day, some combination of renaming my ~/.steam and ~/.local/share/Steam folders to a backup, then re-running Steam, then moving them back over fixed it.

3 Likes

Most likely a Steam issue, probably fixed by resetting Steam steam --reset (which you kinda manually did but not really).

2 Likes

Chromium isn’t opening anymore since this update

[203941:203941:0724/121419.659306:FATAL:double_fork_and_exec.cc(131)] execv /usr/lib/chromium/crashpad_handler: Permission denied (13)

Edit: Nvm, it was a apparmor issue

1 Like

KDE after upgrade in tty and reboot:

• krunner did not work, no popup when typing on empty desktop and Alt-F2 showed an empty transparent window within a subdued black frame.
  • application launcher not opened with Alt-F1, and when opened with mouse, the entries in the menu did not work (restart, shutdown etc.). Could not log out, but Yakuake worked, and I could reboot with sudo reboot.

FIX:

• removed from ~/.config : kglobalshortcutsrc & krunnerrc & plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
  • change global theme and login screen to Breeze and reboot
  • login on tty and rm -rf ~/.cache, then login on graphical screen
  • change global theme and login screen to Breath2 and reboot
  • configure desktop and shortcuts to my liking and reboot

I just realized something:
The Breath2 theme was in /usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.kde.breath2.desktop , but now it is in /usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.manjaro.breath2.desktop . Is the shift from org.kde to org.manjaro the reason for my troubles? org.kde.breath2.desktop/ contains some directories but no files, so now I have removed it.

Now /usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/ contains the directories
org.kde.breeze.desktop
org.kde.breezedark.desktop
org.kde.breezetwilight.desktop
org.kde.oxygen
org.manjaro.breath2-2021-dark.desktop
org.manjaro.breath2-2021-light.desktop
org.manjaro.breath2-2021.desktop
org.manjaro.breath2.desktop

1 Like

Because of relativity!

• The older you get, the wiser you become. (Well, some of us) :grin:
  • Relatively speaking, from your point of view as an observer of the universe, kids nowadays get more and more stupid every day, whereas in reality, they’re just as stupid today as you were at their age but that’s so long ago that you cannot remember ever being that stupid! :rofl:

And I’m talking from experience, because when I was a kid, dinosaurs still roamed the Earth and all the silicon we had were rocks, and you had to bang them together yourself! ¹

:t_rex: :sauropod: :earth_africa:

Note 1: I actually drew my first motherboard with a wax pen and then dropped it in acid to etch away the unwaxed copper, then soldered the RAM and processor and EPROM!
Upgrading your system meant erasing the EPROM under UV light and burning new firmware on it, taking a couple of hours …

5 Likes

After the update I was unable to boot on any kernel (5.4,5.10,5.12 and 5.13) I have to add acpi=off at every boot or I get a black screen after grub selection. Furthermore, booting with acpi=off only allow me to use linux510 or I lose keyboard and touchpad.

I highly suspect kernel updates (but I don’t know how to rollback) because I tried to install Linux513 first before doing the update, rebooted and I had the problem so I booted with 512 and then updated the whole system (as well as the kernels)…

EDIT: downgrading 5.12 to minor .16 do work and I can boot w/o acpi=off, confirming that the issue comes from the update.

Tested also 5.14 and 4.19, and still got the issue. I can only boot from 5.12 for now [or 5.10 with the acpi workaround]. Is this bug induced from Manjaro changes to the kernel or from commits affecting all kernels ? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

My root/home btrfs filesystem dropped to read-only during the post transaction hooks and soft-bricked the system. I’m now on a live system, backup time, not sure if there are logs if I’m able to chroot tomorrow.
I only have a phone picture of the moment in the update process, but can’t upload or share a link. Here the lines where it breaks, everything failed after that and the system became unusable.

“(4/27) reloading system manager configuration”
“(5/27) update udev hardware database”
“Failed to write database […] hwdb.bin: read-only filesystem”

Only real issue is that Bluetooth is now turned ‘off’ in blueman whenever my computer wakes from sleep. All devices remain paired and still connect fine, but I have to manually select ‘Turn Bluetooth on’ from the blueman-tray applet. Until this is fixed I’ve downgraded the blueman package from 2.2.1 back to 2.1.4, which doesn’t have this problem.

Noticed screen-tearing at random places in the top half part of the screen after the update. Set the Compositor rendering backend to OpenGL 3.1. Now works fine.

Other Settings:
Scale method: Smooth
Latency: Balance of Latency and Smoothness
Tearing prevention (“vsync”): Automatic

1 Like

This is no offense at you personally, but this “FIX” is ridiculous. That can not surely be right, can it? What are the KDE devs smoking?

EDIT: I did not encounter the issue personally, so all is well.

Is there any idea how I can solve Libusb issue since last update with kernel 5.13 ? Manjaro wants me to install the broken version of libusb, how can i exclude it from the Kernel update? The Kernel 5.12 has reached its end of life and I can’t switch the Kernel right now. Before this Manjaro update, I could change and update the Kernel with mhwd, but now it requires me to update libusb. Which I am not going to do, because it is broken. (links in the post)

Issue:

I installed Manjaro on Samsung Portable SSD T5. The SSD is connect to iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) according USB3.1 Gen 2 interface. After update, The system unable to boot (kernel 5.4, 5.10).

lsusb didn’t show the Portable SSD:

# lsusb
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0781:5581 SanDisk Corp. Ultra
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05ac:026c Apple, Inc. Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05ac:8511 Apple, Inc. FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

But lsusb -v can found:

# lsusb -v
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04e8:61f5 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd Portable SSD T5
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0781:5581 SanDisk Corp. Ultra
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05ac:026c Apple, Inc. Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05ac:8511 Apple, Inc. FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

The issue was found on from the stable-update-2021-06-14. Till current update, the issue still not resolved.

A post was split to a new topic: System refuses to reboot or shutdown sometimes

Please read this:

Especially this bit:

:innocent:

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Systemd: Freezing execution

Then open a support thread instead of requesting help in the Announcement thread.

Just before doing the updates on TTY did usual Timeshift and Backintime backups just had to post and say Manjaro is getting very cool never noticed before today at the bottom of TTY page the Totals with a item in each column, very cool looking.
Almost like a timer to make a cup of coffee :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
I’m using KDE and there’s small irritations with PCie errors + journald high cpu usage + one of the three kernels installed freezing up the computer completely so over the next four to ?? days the plan is to remedy these things, now how I fix these do you want I post my solutions ? and if so where is the best place in tutorials or KDE where is best place or ?
Will only post when proven to me that these will work and work properly for a few days.
Thanks.

1 Like