[Stable Update] 2021-07-13 - Kernels, Plasma 5.22, Cinnamon 5, Gnome 40, LibreOffice, Mesa, Nvidia, Pamac

I got a black screen on reboot. There was no target for video-nvidia on kernel linux511. I changed to linux513 and was able to install the drivers and boot my system.

Having an issue where after updating every time I try to log in to Gnome 40 my computer gets stuck on the grey screen that appears after logging in with GDM and the fans become really noisy.

Update: was able to log in with a new account but not my existing one.

Really huge update (1,9GB), but without any problems at all my computers.

Great job. :clap:

Thanks to the manjaro-team :innocent:

regards
caho

2 Likes

Volume increase/decrease OSD gone !! :roll_eyes:

Can now confirm the issue is because I was running the Pop Shell extension, which does not work in Gnome 40. Unfortunately, uninstalling the extension does not resolve the issue. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can resolve this please let me know.

Applying the update I ran into no errors, but after a short time, I started to experience graphical glitches. The glitches happen when using the application overview our switching workspaces. This post has similar issues that I’m experiencing Graphical glitches in GNOME Overview after upgrading to Gnome 40 . I ended up reverting back to a timeshift backup. Going to give gnome 40 some more time before I move over since some of my extensions are still not compatible.

Happy 10th anniversary, Manjaro! Update went well at VMWare guest. Kudos to Manjaro Team!

Only thing I notices, that after switching to kernel 5.13 KDE desktop effects failed.
Fixed by reboot.

Guess I’ll wait a little bit to update since I also have LUKS encrypted partitions…

Upgrade went fine for me, nice to see the new Gnome fully in.

Given that this release includes the Nvidia 470 drivers and XWayland 21.1.2, it should now be possible to run a Wayland desktop with no performance penalties. Will stable users be switched over by default at some point? If not, is there a guide to manually switching to Wayland? I haven’t tried running it before.

I’m similarly curious about Pipewire, it sounds like it’s now stable enough to fully replace PulseAudio, but I’m not sure how to switch over. (Given that’s it’s the only way to stream one’s desktop/gaming in OBS with Wayland, I’d probably need to.)

Why yes, there is:

Install manjaro-pipewire and see: PipeWire - ArchWiki

Thanks. I’d seen that forum post earlier but wasn’t sure if it was still up to date, given that it predates Nvidia’s announcement of proper Wayland support. If people have used the steps described in that thread to get a good working setup with the current stable release, I’ll give it a shot.

I actually updated it in the last day or two. :wink:

Just curious. Are you planning to replace Xorg with Wayland?

And I used it right after and can confirm everything is working as it should. Thanks @Yochanan :ok_hand:t2:

A comment on the Overview screen search in Gnome Shell 40:

Using the Gnome 40 shell, there is a problem with the search behavior in Overview. If I type ‘g’ I get some results with the first highlighted. I can press enter to open it. To select one of the other results, I should be able to use arrow keys to change the selection box to another choice. That doesn’t work - it used to in shell 3.38. Now, you have to use the mouse to click on an alternate selection to open it.

I then looked at Fedora Gnome 34 and the arrow keys do work as described, so something is wrong here with the Manjaro implementation?

UPDATE: I found that the cause of this problem is having Dash-to-Dock enabled. When I disable that extension, the functionality of the arrow keys within the search results is restored.

UPDATE 2: Jul 16: This problem with the arrow keys is now gone. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi! First of all. Happy anniversary, Manjaro! Thank you for the effort and dedication to the system and trying to provide an excellent quality of experience at all possible levels.

And now. The update got stuck in the process marked by the bar, but outside of it all normal. I use GNOME 40. I have installed iio-sensor-proxy . The only problem that for the moment I have noticed is that the automatic screen rotation does not work in Wayland (it does in Xorg, but it was strange since the first times I was playing around the option did appear in Wayland, I think … But for the moment it only appears now in the Xorg session). It’s kind of strange. Since the Xorg is not very touch-friendly to say …

At the moment, and outside of that, everything feels very polished and I’m happy about the long wait. Greetings!

1 Like

Both pacman and pamac do not resume after showing the following issues (after checking for data conflicts):
Fehler: Konnte den Vorgang nicht durchführen (In Konflikt stehende Dateien)
linux-firmware: /usr/lib/firmware/rtl_bt/rtl8761b_config.bin existiert im Dateisystem (gehört zu rtl8761b-fw)
linux-firmware: /usr/lib/firmware/rtl_bt/rtl8761b_fw.bin existiert im Dateisystem (gehört zu rtl8761b-fw)

Do I have to delete those files? Is that driver part of the updated Kernel now? I am on 5.12.16-1 right now.

It seems like that firmware is now part of linux-firmware package, so you should remove the rtl8761b-fw package.

2 Likes

Hello all,

The update did not go as smooth as usual. After the update was finished, the system became very sluggish. So decided to do a reboot and it came back to the login screen. However fingerprint login or password login never did anything. Had to wait for a long time and it just comes back to the password field to enter it again. Tried to go to tty but after I put in my username, it again took a very long time only to get a response of ^@ whatever that means :rofl:

So I tried to reboot and edit my grub config by adding the 3 to the linux line so it would boot directly into tty. The same happened here, after I enter my username it just sits only to come back with the ^@.

Next try was to boot from a live USB stick and use chroot. So I chrooted into the system, forgot that in the option list 0 === 1 and you have to select 1 for option 0 :face_with_hand_over_mouth:. There I checked the logs but did not see anything specific. What came to mind was that I did not see the notice that I could use the fingerprint reader when I tried to login before. So I decided to remove all the lines with auth sufficient pam_fprintd.so in all the pam.d files where I had added them. Rebooted and behold I was able to login.

Just need to check now what is going on with the fingerprint reader and fix that. This is on a Dell XPS 17 9700.

2 Likes

My update didn’t go so well, I’m getting a crash when loading pamac-manager that says “pamac-manager: symbol lookup error: pamac-manager: undefined symbol: hdy_flap_set_reveal_flap, version LIBHANDY_1_0”

I tried to check on my libhandy1 installation but got some bizarre results. Pamac can’t reinstall it because it’s not found (not anywhere, ancient-packages lists it), and if I go to remove it theres some components dependent on it, including pamac-manager, manjaro-hello, etc. I tried installing libhandy from the extra repo but it conflicts with libhandy1 so my understanding at the moment is that if i uninstall libhandy1, pamac-manager will be dependent on a nonexistent package, which just can’t be right… I’ve refreshed my mirrors, run pacman -Syyuu, restarted, and just about everything else i can think of but I’m not sure where to go from here.

I’m currently on 5.13.1-3-MANJARO x86_64 with Cinnamon 5.0.4