[Stable Update] 2021-07-13 - Kernels, Plasma 5.22, Cinnamon 5, Gnome 40, LibreOffice, Mesa, Nvidia, Pamac

Nvidia update caused the black screen on my end; using the nouveau driver at the moment.

kernel: 5.4
gpu: NVIDIA GM107GLM [Quadro M1000M]

1 Like

Did you restart GNOME Shell or logout / login after updating?

Hi, I just saw that there is in update for Dash-to-Dock, hence did it. Problem solved. That was a super fast fix. Thanks. :man_dancing: :smiley:

Problem after stable update 21-07-13: CD-ROM turns on and opens when un-suspending the PC. I have a door in front of the CD-ROM drawer and this is not good. The drawer does close though, after slamming against the door. I’ve never had this problem before. I am running Kernel 5.4.131-1, and noticed 5.10.49-1 is now also LTS, Recommended. Wondering if changing Kernel would help?
Has anyone else experienced this? Wondering if I should just unplug the CD player? I can’t remember the last time using it. I would like to have a better solution though. I did search the forum for any posts about this problem, and found none.
It’s been years since I’ve had to make a comment on a problem with an update, so please forgive me if I’m doing it incorrectly. Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.

Hello

What DE are you on? May be something like auto mounting that could be causing that. Not sure though

Great work on gnome 40, thanks!

After switching to gnome 40, I have an issue with mouse side buttons.
I was using xbindkeys with xte to bind a mouse button to ‘Show the activities overview’ with Super+R

The command that used to work was
xte 'keydown Super_L' 'key R' 'keyup Super_L'

The strange thing is that in Telegram it just types ‘r’, in browser it works like ‘back’ and ‘forward’ (which is by default), in other apps it does nothing. Gnome shortcut Super+R still works fine.

Also, anyone else finding the activities button in the top left which once mouse hits it’s top left corner at high speed, activating the activities/virtual desktop switcher/full screen app launcher to be annoying ?

Run Gnome Tweaks
gnome-tweaks in terminal or via applications Tweaks
Tweaks → Top Bar → Activities Overview Hot Corner

Switch it off and you won’t have that trouble.

If you mean Desktop Environment, it’s XFCE. I have never set the cd-rom to auto-mount. I would love to know a terminal command to see what is auto-mounted, do you know of one? I just got done reading about “autofs”, but there is no manual entry for it in the terminal emulator. Should I install this? Will it show me the auto-mounts, and allow me to turn off unwanted auto-mounts? I see many articles about auto-mounting. But, nothing on undoing an auto-mount. Thanks again for any help that may be supplied.

My internet is too weak to download packages

In Manjaro stable, the updates can be 1-2 Gb.
In unstable, the updates are smaller, but there are some every day.

A rolling release is not the best option for you, then.
A fixed/LTS release as Kubuntu or KDE Neon would be easier to live with.

No my friend, my internet became very weak after the new update. Before this update, my internet was very good.

so, it’s at you to change mirror for best speed with pacman-mirrors app

Just a bit more info: The CD-ROM doesn’t auto-mount/open when booting the PC, only when un-suspending.

Keyboard switching with ALT+SHIFT doesn’t work anymore

Tweaks → Keyboard and Mouse → Additional Layout Options → Switching to another layout

Looks like all two button combinations don’t work anymore. Anyhow single button like ‘CapsLock’ works. But if I select ‘Ctrl’, it switches keyboard layout only once.

Before I had Alt+Shift set and everything worked fine.

This update included a really bad mesa version 21.1.4-1. Several of the Proton games in Steam stopped working and started up with black screen and then died or hung. Horizon Zero Dawn; Valfaris; Shantae: Risky’s Revenge - Directors Cut for few of them. Upgraded mesa to mesa-git 21.3.0_devel... from AUR and everything started working perfectly.

In the post I mentioned I restarted. It still would not activate from Extensions. version 69+14+g302c693-4 also will not activate.

Temporary Solution: I downgraded to version 69+14+g302c693-3 which does activate and will function as a dock, but the configuration dialog will not open. The appearance is not quite right as well, but it works.

UPDATE: Config. dialog now does open!

UPDATE 19 Jul: Tried upgrade to the “-6” version of dash-to-dock, and it is working now!

I can no longer print from Firefox or Okular. I feel like something somehow affected my printing with this update for KDE.

For folks who can’t seem to be able to disable the fingerprint sensor, try uninstalling fprintd service using sudo pacman -R fprintd

Cheers!

Installation von nvidia-utils (470.42.01-2) verletzt Abhängigkeit 'nvidia-utils=465.31', benötigt von linux511-
nvidia

what do I have to enter to resolve the dependencies? Many Thanks!!!

I am using Gnome and happy to see 40.3 in stable branch! The update went mostly well, thank you.
Noticed quite annoying issue with keyboard layout changing. I am used to Alt+Shift, which is configured in gnome-tweaks. After update the layout still changes by Alt+Shift, but it seems to work 2 out of 3 times and layout indicator in status bar don’t show the change. The indicator reacts only to default Super+Space which also changes the layout, but does so independently.
For example, if indicator shows English and after Alt+Shift actual layout is Russian (indicator still shows English), Super+Space will change both indicator and actual layout to Russian.
Also tried some other hotkeys offered in gnome-tweaks and all of them show same behavior.