[Stable Update] 2021-06-14 - Kernels, Browsers, Mesa, Deepin, Systemd, Gnome Apps 40.2, Pipewire, Haskell

Budgie desktop crashing after update. I am getting these in logs -

Unrecoverable failure in required component budgie-wm.desktop

Edit - The problem was budgie-desktop 10.5.3 looking for libmutter-8 and then crashing. Reverted to budgie-desktop 10.5.2 for now

Updated without issues!

To avoid Kernel Panics, install kernel 5.12 before updating.

Better install 2. Kernel one LTS, one Stable

I made the following steps to solve the kernel panic

1. use the Manjaro USB stick to boot the computer
  2. manjaro-chroot -a
  3. pacman -Syyu to update the system → new mkinitcpio

A post was split to a new topic: The [Stable Update] 2021-06-14 prevent me from booting my system

Here same problem on my wife pc. It doesn’t boot with kernel 419 anymore, as I experienced on my pc when testing updated to systemd 248, reported here.
I tried many kernel versions and, on my pc, the 419 was the only one affected by this problem,
The issue seems to be not solved, yet.

Hm, I used the mirrors that were picked by pacman-mirrors. I do not remember and did not check if they were all trusted https mirrors.

Yes, it’s been resolved, but is it known if that issue was actually exploited?
I know this is a highly theoretical question, albeit an interesting one, isn’t it?

Can be fixed manually and it actually is not hard to do. Just try it and see for yourself!

My understanding of it is that if you had http mirrors up until the keyring refresh, you were vulnerable. So any package installed/updated from now on is safe. I’m not sure about the ones currently installed that weren’t updated yet. My hunch is they’re unsafe, but this needs to be clarified.

1 Like

I agree, IMHO they should be considered unsafe until proven otherwise.
But that’s up to the Manjaro team to clarify.

I’ve noticed many of you had issues with this update and I wonder if sudo pamac upgrade should resolve most of the issues, then I’d suggest the following tutorial should be updated accordingly, to reflect such important change:

Currently it still recommends using sudo pacman -Syyu.

Thanks for the hint about the systemd version, hopefully they will fix it soon.
I only kept that old kernel , because I tested how that uses swap, compared to 5.x.
I wish the stable branch should have more quality testing before releasing updates.
No way back to Ubuntu for me :smile:

1 Like

sudo pacman -Syyu (here returned errors) has been deemed fool-proof or at least it led me to believe it had always been like that till I read the suggestion:

sudo pamac upgrade - did the magic trick, kudos!

Well even if you use a http mirror, traffic will need to be intercepted and modified by some evil player. Very unlikely that this happened though.

Now as a mirror operator you could easily manipulate the packages though. In this case the method of transportation does not even matter…

Btw. I swear I didn’t tamper with any packages coming from my mirror(s). :wink:

1 Like

Same problem for me. Followed this instruction and i worked without problems.
THANKS!

1 Like

The new 5.11 kernel retrurned a “Cannot Start LightDM” error. Currently running 5.04.

5.11 is not new anymore and reached EOL.
You should upgrade to 5.12 (or use 5.4 / 5.10…)

XFCE user here. I looked through the comments on this post, and found that going through the update was not so good when using pacman. So I used pamac update instead. Apparently, it’s safe to run with kernel > 5.10 and the update removed libcanberra. Successfully updated with no major hiccups so far.

1 Like

Thx. Since we are still on Gnome Shell 3.38 we had to hold back mutter too: [manjaro-packages] [BoxIt] Memo (x64)

2 Likes

Upgrade with pamac upgrade:

Error: Failed to commit transaction:
conflicting files:
- boost: /usr/share/boost-build/src/build-system.jam already exists in filesystem (owned by boost-build)
- boost: /usr/share/boost-build/src/build-system.jam already exists in filesystem (owned by boost-build)
- boost: /usr/share/boost-build/src/build/ac.jam already exists in filesystem (owned by boost-build)
- boost: /usr/share/boost-build/src/build/alias.jam already exists in filesystem (owned by boost-build)
- boost: /usr/share/boost-build/src/build/build-request.jam already exists in filesystem (owned by boost-build)
- boost: /usr/share/boost-build/src/build/config-cache.jam already exists in filesystem (owned by boost-build)
etc

$ pamac info boost
Install Reason : Installed as a dependency for another package

$ pamac remove boost
$ pamac upgrade
Transaction successfully finished

I could not remember why this was installed, probably as a dependency of a IDE/editor I’ve tried and it missed the cleanup fase.

1 Like