[Stable Update] 2021-06-14 - Kernels, Browsers, Mesa, Deepin, Systemd, Gnome Apps 40.2, Pipewire, Haskell

PipeWire audio is not working for me; IIRC last time PipeWire updated I had the same issue but that was fixed my restoring .pacnew configs from March (according to pacman logs). This time there is no such .pacnew configs.

Help?

There are distros out there which ship nano instead of vim. Which is mind-boggling.

This update reset all my KDE Plasma Virtual Desktops and Activities and some important sticky notes are lost :frowning: :sob:

Normaly i do use trizen, but this time i followed philm’s advice and used pamac in the terminal

Luckily i have already moved on from kernel 4.19 to 5.10, 5.12 . And i do use noveau instead of nvidia, because “noveau” does detect both graphic-cards and does handle my 2-seat system well (nvidia-driver didn’t).
And zstd is already “my” standard for mkinitcpio.conf :sweat_smile:

# COMPRESSION
# Use this to compress the initramfs image. By default, gzip compression
# is used. Use 'cat' to create an uncompressed image.
#COMPRESSION="gzip"
#COMPRESSION="bzip2"
#COMPRESSION="lzma"
#COMPRESSION="xz"
#COMPRESSION="lzop"
#COMPRESSION="lz4"
#akf
COMPRESSION="zstd"

But again i had to delete 2 files :hammer: :hammer: to get my lightdm from black screen :black_large_square: to working :framed_picture: again.

1 Like

Hi All
On Dell Studio 1749 after this update I have lost the network totally (both WIFI and Ethernet). This seems to be an issue with the new kernel 5.10 becuase all is fine if I reboot and choose 5.4. on boot.
There are:
❯ inxi --network
Network: Device-1: Broadcom BCM43224 802.11a/b/g/n driver: wl
Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8168

i did the update and all went fine;
i checked the mkinitcpio.conf file and it shows as follow:

# COMPRESSION
# Use this to compress the initramfs image. By default, gzip compression
# is used. Use 'cat' to create an uncompressed image.
#COMPRESSION="gzip"
#COMPRESSION="bzip2"
#COMPRESSION="lzma"
#COMPRESSION="xz"
#COMPRESSION="lzop"
#COMPRESSION="lz4"
#COMPRESSION="zstd"

should i un-comment “zstd”,or is it fine like that?

Hi @linub

Manjaro rolled back to gzip as default with the release of mkinitcpio 30.2.

It is up to you to switch over to zstd

1 Like

thank you

1 Like

I had exactly the same issue. I booted a live disc of the latest edition (21.0.7) and restored my system from the terminal in the live session with Timeshift (timeshift -restore, then follow the prompts).

Use zstd only if all your kernels are >= 5.10. Older kernels will not be able to decompress the zstd-initramfs and fail to boot.

4 Likes

So isn’t Add/Remove Software a pamac gui app?

It is both gui or terminal (but i recommend terminal for updates)

1 Like

im on 5.10,but i’ll go with the default of Manjaro; gzip.
i don’t even know what’s that thing about :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: so i won’t mess with it for now.

1 Like

We found a way to make 4.19 kernels boot again. However, it seems to be a regression in 4.19 kernel series, which doesn’t got updated on how the libmount is mounting devices.

We will closely monitor the upstream issue and update system again with the proper patches or find a solution for 4.19 kernel. Otherwise we will have to drop that kernel series.

5 Likes

3rd strike on mkinitramfs, nice /s

5.4.123 belongs to package linux54. On upgrade of this package, old one is replaced with the new one. Manjaro is not *buntu and collects no trash.

Probably because I haven’t had any issues with pacman that wouldn’t affect pamac. I see complaints about the reverse all the time.

1 Like

unless it does not boot for ‘reasons’ :wink:

Please let us know as soon as possible. We will then install a different operating system on many of our older company computers.

Everything good on cinnamon… i used the 5.4 and had no problem, maybe i was lucky to update later.
To be sure i installed the 5.10, better off to have more than a kernel, who knows…